FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   BR23 SEA-TPE cancelled after March 2018 ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1868519-br23-sea-tpe-cancelled-after-march-2018-a.html)

sunil Sep 23, 2017 8:11 pm

BR23 SEA-TPE cancelled after March 2018 ?

I had booked a couple of award seats which got cancelled. Does anyone know if this is seasonal or perm ?:mad:

hayzel7773 Sep 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by sunil (Post 28851496)
I had booked a couple of award seats which got cancelled. Does anyone know if this is seasonal or perm ?:mad:

Indeed, it has been removed from the schedule. Surpised it took them that long. Yields are total garbage.

tai4de2 Sep 25, 2017 5:03 pm

Totally predictable.

ru035p4fu6 Oct 16, 2017 9:14 am

now it also cancels flight BR23/24 for the whole W17... except some holiday flights where there is demand

longtimeflyin Oct 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Anybody have any insights what other routes have been pulled from Taiwan to North America?

hayzel7773 Oct 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin (Post 28939205)
Anybody have any insights what other routes have been pulled from Taiwan to North America?

SEA still has the nighttime BR25/26.

Other than that, capacity reductions for ORD and IAH and that is it.

Capacity increase for SFO though!

tai4de2 Oct 16, 2017 11:58 pm

I am almost glad to see the daytime Seattle flight disappear. I would definitely not have wanted to see EVA discovering the market for such a flight and "helpfully" eliminating the nighttime flight in favor of the more "convenient" daytime flight. (Something like this actually happened with Asiana -- my first experience ex. Seattle was a nighttime flight. Eventually they changed to a daytime flight instead.)

hayzel7773 Oct 17, 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by tai4de2 (Post 28941368)
I am almost glad to see the daytime Seattle flight disappear. I would definitely not have wanted to see EVA discovering the market for such a flight and "helpfully" eliminating the nighttime flight in favor of the more "convenient" daytime flight. (Something like this actually happened with Asiana -- my first experience ex. Seattle was a nighttime flight. Eventually they changed to a daytime flight instead.)

EVA and CI seem to do better with nighttime flights but aircraft utilization wise, it is a terrible schedule.

Asquared1 Oct 17, 2017 7:18 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 28941427)
EVA and CI seem to do better with nighttime flights but aircraft utilization wise, it is a terrible schedule.

Why? It puts the plane in TPE in time to handle an early morning flight back to NA or onward to Asia.

hayzel7773 Oct 17, 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Asquared1 (Post 28942344)
Why? It puts the plane in TPE in time to handle an early morning flight back to NA or onward to Asia.

When they land at out stations, they can be parked for 4+ hours with no mx or anything.

Its ok for IAH, YYZ, and JFK but really bad for west coast.

Bear4Asian Oct 17, 2017 1:31 pm

I don’t understand why you think a daytime flight is not convenient. I’ve taken the flight several times and the timing worked out very well. I’d much rather not have to go to the airport at midnight.

SilverChris Oct 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian (Post 28943921)
I don’t understand why you think a daytime flight is not convenient. I’ve taken the flight several times and the timing worked out very well. I’d much rather not have to go to the airport at midnight.

It's not great if you're connecting to another Asian city.

bocastephen Oct 20, 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by SilverChris (Post 28944836)
It's not great if you're connecting to another Asian city.

Seems perfectly fine for other airlines - for example NH departs daytime, arrives NRT in the mid afternoon with plenty of time to connect onwards around dinner time. I need to arrive in the evening so I can get to sleep and be back to normal (no jetlag) the following morning.

I personally can't stand a westbound redeye, and I'm not alone.

kpottermn Oct 20, 2017 7:02 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 28955248)
Seems perfectly fine for other airlines - for example NH departs daytime, arrives NRT in the mid afternoon with plenty of time to connect onwards around dinner time. I need to arrive in the evening so I can get to sleep and be back to normal (no jetlag) the following morning.

Whereas I'll take an overnight redeye every single time, so I love that about EVA's scheduling. Different strokes.

SilverChris Oct 20, 2017 10:12 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 28955248)

To each his own :)

I also know plenty of people who don't like westbound day flights, nor do they like arriving so late at night.

People deal with jetlag differently, but on westbound TPAC flights you'll have to force yourself to stay awake at some point - arriving at the crack of dawn and pulling through the day, or onboard the connecting flight after a daytime departure from North America.

evergrn Nov 3, 2017 5:15 pm

I didn't even know EVA had a second SEA-TPE flight. When did this flight start? I'm at SEA and I've been flying red-eye EVA out of SEA and YVR for a while now.

I completely agree. It is such a convenient time for me, and EVA is the last remaining option out of SEA.

hayzel7773 Nov 3, 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn (Post 29015513)
I didn't even know EVA had a second SEA-TPE flight. When did this flight start? I'm at SEA and I've been flying red-eye EVA out of SEA and YVR for a while now.

I completely agree. It is such a convenient time for me, and EVA is the last remaining option out of SEA.

Started in December of 2016, at its peak was 4x weekly.

global happy traveller Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm

has it been cancelled already? Flightaware is showing no activity for past 3 weeks.
GHT Jr and I been on that flight and its pretty quiet. Barely connects well with other Asian flights.

aircam Nov 15, 2017 8:08 pm

BR introduced new daytime LAX/SFO/JFK-TPE as well, presumably to feed a new evening bank of flights from TPE-MNL/SGN. I wonder how the new daytime LAX/SFO/JFK flights are doing?

coolfish1103 Nov 16, 2017 1:16 am

TPE-JFK vv has frequency cut. TPE-SFO vv is a recent addition to counter CI's new flights so yet to see how it goes. TPE-LAX vv is hanging there.

hayzel7773 Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by aircam (Post 29065735)
BR introduced new daytime LAX/SFO/JFK-TPE as well, presumably to feed a new evening bank of flights from TPE-MNL/SGN. I wonder how the new daytime LAX/SFO/JFK flights are doing?

SFO is doing quite well. Good LF and yields for Elite and RL cabin. Also have lots of belly cargo.

krispykrme Nov 19, 2017 2:19 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 29076594)
SFO is doing quite well. Good LF and yields for Elite and RL cabin. Also have lots of belly cargo.

I am on BR27 right now. RL is full.

first time on the newest 77W for eva

wlau Nov 27, 2017 3:33 pm

Yay!!! Glad they are getting rid of the SEA flights. Horrible arrival times and don't connect well with United. I HATE picking my coworkers at god-awful hours when they fly with EVA into/through SEA.

hayzel7773 Nov 27, 2017 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 29106545)
Yay!!! Glad they are getting rid of the SEA flights. Horrible arrival times and don't connect well with United. I HATE picking my coworkers at god-awful hours when they fly with EVA into/through SEA.

United doesn't offer much connections out of SEA. The evening flight is still there...

tai4de2 Nov 28, 2017 12:54 am

I don't understand this post. Which times and flights are (or were) "god-awful"?

eponymous_coward Nov 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Why on earth would anyone connect in SEA for UA? It's a UA spoke- all the UA flights are to other hubs, many of which have nonstop BR service like SFO, LAX, IAH, ORD. If you were connecting to AS or DL (who both hub at SEA), OK, but what does SEA give you that an actual UA hub doesn't? It makes about as much sense as connecting in PEK to take BR to TPE to a third destination instead of a BR nonstop to TPE... :confused:

wlau Nov 29, 2017 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29110177)
Why on earth would anyone connect in SEA for UA? It's a UA spoke- all the UA flights are to other hubs, many of which have nonstop BR service like SFO, LAX, IAH, ORD. If you were connecting to AS or DL (who both hub at SEA), OK, but what does SEA give you that an actual UA hub doesn't? It makes about as much sense as connecting in PEK to take BR to TPE to a third destination instead of a BR nonstop to TPE... :confused:

MONEY!! and chance of upgrade, silly!

SEA is a hub for AS and DL, not UA. Connecting via SEA is usually cheaper because it's less convenient.

IAH and ORD flights arrived around 11PM!!! Why does it surprise you the connect options are limited at that hour?

SFO and LAX are better connection options. Your mindset is exactly why EVA's Diamond members love to connect at SEA because they have a better chance of upgrade or op-up on TPE-SEA flights...

I am Diamond with Delta but because of my stupid EVA Diamond coworkers, I remember EVA's route map and schedule by heart - I jump for joy when EVA cancel fights to non-key destination, and happy when they add flights into LAX/SFO because one less screwed up routing option available for them to consider.

eponymous_coward Nov 29, 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 29114749)
SEA is a hub for AS and DL, not UA.

Pretty sure I mentioned that.

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 29114749)
Connecting via SEA is usually cheaper because it's less convenient.

Sure, but the flight BR cancelled wasn't the one that it was reasonable if not as convenient to connect to and from (a 6 am arrival/11:30 departure pair can take a fair number of UA connections, if it's kinda dumb because not a UA hub), but the one that is very obviously timed for TPE side connections and SEA O/D (a 1 am departure and 6 pm arrival for SEA is going to mean you're sitting around for HOURS on UA connections, but BR 25's timing is not ridiculous for a SEA departure if you want to do onward travel from TPE, same goes for BR 26, you can easily get somewhere in Asia->TPE->SEA all in one reasonable go).

So if your colleagues still want those op-ups and upgrades, prepare for flights that are even LESS convenient.

wlau Nov 30, 2017 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29115052)
Pretty sure I mentioned that.

Sure, but the flight BR cancelled wasn't the one that it was reasonable if not as convenient to connect to and from (a 6 am arrival/11:30 departure pair can take a fair number of UA connections, if it's kinda dumb because not a UA hub), but the one that is very obviously timed for TPE side connections and SEA O/D (a 1 am departure and 6 pm arrival for SEA is going to mean you're sitting around for HOURS on UA connections, but BR 25's timing is not ridiculous for a SEA departure if you want to do onward travel from TPE, same goes for BR 26, you can easily get somewhere in Asia->TPE->SEA all in one reasonable go).

So if your colleagues still want those op-ups and upgrades, prepare for flights that are even LESS convenient.

You don't fly enough.. if you are doing international trip TPAC/TATL 1-2 times a week, and on some type of plane 5-6 times a week, then you will understand... TPE-SEA arrives around 6pm +/- depend on daylight savings adjustment. SEA international arrival is a mess, so you have to spent a lot of time clear US custom. By the time you are done, you best not board connecting flight before 9pm or 10pm (daylight savings). Where can you go at that hour beyond a quick hop on the west coast?

With this TPE-SEA cancelled,my coworkers will be forced to to do TPE-LAX or TPE-SFO. Both have arrival at just before 3PM (LAX has an even earlier 6AM'ish arrival). Both airports have much faster international arrival, and you can be onto another flight, by 4:30pm'ish, which is the afternoon commute and you can still get to middle of the country or east coast in reasonable amount of time before or around midnight...

eponymous_coward Dec 4, 2017 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by wlau (Post 29119465)
You don't fly enough.. if you are doing international trip TPAC/TATL 1-2 times a week, and on some type of plane 5-6 times a week, then you will understand... TPE-SEA arrives around 6pm +/- depend on daylight savings adjustment. SEA international arrival is a mess, so you have to spent a lot of time clear US custom. By the time you are done, you best not board connecting flight before 9pm or 10pm (daylight savings). Where can you go at that hour beyond a quick hop on the west coast?

With this TPE-SEA cancelled,my coworkers will be forced to to do TPE-LAX or TPE-SFO. Both have arrival at just before 3PM (LAX has an even earlier 6AM'ish arrival). Both airports have much faster international arrival, and you can be onto another flight, by 4:30pm'ish, which is the afternoon commute and you can still get to middle of the country or east coast in reasonable amount of time before or around midnight...

Right, that’s my point. The timings on 25/26 are bad for connections. Which I believe I just got through saying. Since we seem to be in violent agreement about the unsuitability of my home airport as a *A connection point, I suppose we’re done here?

Transpacificflyer Dec 6, 2017 9:14 pm

Air Canada has a daytime direct flight to TPE at 11:50 AM and allows the Canadian pax who were hopping over the border don't have to do it anymore. BR's 1 am flight from YVR had been on the outdated B747 combi and once they moved to the B777 that was another reason for the Canadian pax not to go to Seattle. However, the killer has been the AC pricing.
In business;
January RT YVR-TPE - $3019 AC vs $4600 BR in $CAD
for comparison purposes and using $CAD SEA-TPE is $5800 with BR.
It's more killer on the LAX-TPE route, which is one that I used to use, with AC still $2,000 CAD less

I appreciate that BR can be considered a superior airline to AC in many ways, but the differentiating factor for the profitable business class customers in North America has been pricing and the savings potential is putting pressure on the US EVA hubs. It's only going to get worse as the $CAD depreciates in 2018 and US pax will be looking at significant cost savings if they fly out of Canada. (It will be quite the reversal from the mass exodus of Canadians to US border airports for the savings on flights south.)

hayzel7773 Dec 6, 2017 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer (Post 29144026)
Air Canada has a daytime direct flight to TPE at 11:50 AM and allows the Canadian pax who were hopping over the border don't have to do it anymore. BR's 1 am flight from YVR had been on the outdated B747 combi and once they moved to the B777 that was another reason for the Canadian pax not to go to Seattle. However, the killer has been the AC pricing.
In business;
January RT YVR-TPE - $3019 AC vs $4600 BR in $CAD
for comparison purposes and using $CAD SEA-TPE is $5800 with BR.
It's more killer on the LAX-TPE route, which is one that I used to use, with AC still $2,000 CAD less

I appreciate that BR can be considered a superior airline to AC in many ways, but the differentiating factor for the profitable business class customers in North America has been pricing and the savings potential is putting pressure on the US EVA hubs. It's only going to get worse as the $CAD depreciates in 2018 and US pax will be looking at significant cost savings if they fly out of Canada. (It will be quite the reversal from the mass exodus of Canadians to US border airports for the savings on flights south.)

EVA pricing just to TPE has always been more expensive than itineraries with connections onward.
Their main focus out of NA has never been on the Taiwanese, as Taiwanese are not loyal to their home carriers like other countries. If the Taiwanese want to take BR, they will fork out the money.

GeoSpark Dec 11, 2017 3:45 pm

Maybe Eva should consider Boston. I flown on a Cathay flight to Singapore and other destination in Asia with a stop in Hong Kong and the flight was very full from Boston. most passengers seem to be connecting onwards. Maybe Eva can get in on this since they want to be a transit airline. Cathay also flies the 777-300