Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Star member on Uni Air flight operated by EVA Air

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star member on Uni Air flight operated by EVA Air

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Maybe I'm wrong but last time i flew a B7 flight, I received all the benefits a *G would get.
Maybe it is an undocumented feature Maybe internally it is documented in their processes but not to the public. Thus, people should not expect it.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 5:10 pm
tya
Original Poster

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Question

Sorry for late reply.

I believed hayzel7773 gets all those regular benefits because of BR Diamond, which is guaranteed by rules published on BR website. As to non-BR *G on those B7 mainland flights, these are indeed grey area.

Why I am asking this is my parents (both non-BR *G) used to fly TPE-SZX and was denied *G benefits. It's just that they don't remember if 1) their ticket was BR- or B7-issued, and 2) the flight was operated by BR metal.

What happens with Star Alliance, if I interpret it correctly is that they care which metal you fly, not so much with whom you booked the ticket from? (e.g. my last trip YUL-LHR on AC metal booked on United.com gave me miles recognizing it as an AC flight)

So now with this flight I looked up on evaair.com, it is B7-coded but operated by BR metal, it's really confusing if they would grant non-BR *G benefits. Just wondering if anyone on this forum has tried it personally?

What about CA-coded but a B7 flight operated by BR metal?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Theoretically, if it is B7 operated by BR (but no BR code), then it is a B7-only flight. This goes back to the game they play - B7 gets the traffic right but does not have the right aircraft to service it. So, they "wet lease" the plane and crew from BR to operate it.

Of course, the is theory. Hope things make more sense in reality.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:11 am

Any update on this?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The way to solve this is for UNI to become an Connecting Partner like Juneyao but I wonder if that will happen. For years, EVA resisted joining an alliance until K Chang took over. Now he is gone....
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
No benefits for *G on B7 flights, regardless of the metal that it operates on. B7 wet-leases planes from EVA.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
MFM-TPE with BR code on B7 metal

Flying BR812 operated by Uni Air from Macau to Taipei soon. Booked the ticket with my Air New Zealand points. I am Star Alliance Gold through Air NZ's Airpoints programme.

I think the flight IS treated as a Star Alliance flight (bookable through various mileage programmes) - meaning I can access the lounge at MFM and carry extra baggage?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
I flew B7 170 from TPE to ICN last Thursday. Here's the scoop on the entire deal for Star Alliance Gold members.

I used the Star Alliance Gold desks for check-in. After the passport check, the agent asked for my membership credentials, which I produced my United Premier Platinum card. She processes me, my bag, etc. and informs me, (translated) "I'm sorry but since you are flying UNI Air, you will be unable to access the lounge and also I cannot expedite your checked luggage either. You will also be unable to earn mileage on United for this flight."

This flight boarded from a bus gate and there was no real semblance of Zone control either, but the flight did board in an orderly fashion.

The flight was uneventful and because the plane was a quarter full, better than normal service from the FAs aboard the flight.

If you need all the benefits that Star Alliance Gold can get you while flying, I suggest avoiding UNI Air.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 3:44 am

I think the agent's response was nonsense. If it's purely domestic B7 flights within TW-controlled territories, yeah Star Alliance benefits don't apply.

mjcewl1284
where did you acquire your TPE-ICN ticket? I got mine though Star Alliance member Air NZ with my points - this means that the flight is a Star Alliance flight, like Skywest for UA, Mt Cook for NZ, Air Japan for NH, etc.
The only thing Uni Air about my MFM-TPE flight is the metal - you can't even buy a B7-coded ticket on that route!

I will rigorously defend my Star Alliance entitlements should the agent at MFM argues otherwise.

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I flew B7 170 from TPE to ICN last Thursday. Here's the scoop on the entire deal for Star Alliance Gold members.

I used the Star Alliance Gold desks for check-in. After the passport check, the agent asked for my membership credentials, which I produced my United Premier Platinum card. She processes me, my bag, etc. and informs me, (translated) "I'm sorry but since you are flying UNI Air, you will be unable to access the lounge and also I cannot expedite your checked luggage either. You will also be unable to earn mileage on United for this flight."

This flight boarded from a bus gate and there was no real semblance of Zone control either, but the flight did board in an orderly fashion.

The flight was uneventful and because the plane was a quarter full, better than normal service from the FAs aboard the flight.

If you need all the benefits that Star Alliance Gold can get you while flying, I suggest avoiding UNI Air.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by milehighclubnz
mjcewl1284[/B] where did you acquire your TPE-ICN ticket? I got mine though Star Alliance member Air NZ with my points - this means that the flight is a Star Alliance flight, like Skywest for UA, Mt Cook for NZ, Air Japan for NH, etc.
The only thing Uni Air about my MFM-TPE flight is the metal - you can't even buy a B7-coded ticket on that route!

I will rigorously defend my Star Alliance entitlements should the agent at MFM argues otherwise.
I had my ticket changed at an EVA AIR ticket office in Taiwan during a business trip. I was originally on EVA 160 departing at 3:15 pm but had to switch last minute to UNI in order to be in Seoul at noon time.
I'm not necessarily saying my flight is indicative of others who take UNI, but just saying that this is what I experienced.

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Nov 9, 2017 at 6:27 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:48 am

All MFM-TPE and v.v. flights are now all BR, and therefore Star Alliance flights, regardless of metal. All good for this route.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Accor Diamond
Bumping this thread.

On a TPE-SGN itinerary by UNI Air, bought on EVA website, I received, as *G, a “lounge invitation” as well as a boarding pass when I did online check-in. Travelling in Y. The lounge agent denied me entry saying it was a codeshare. I asked her if she could speak to a supervisor as I received the invitation specifically for the flight and they let me in “making an exception”.

The lounge is not that great but the shower felt real good!
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:04 pm

As Star alliance Gold flying on Uni air between TPE and ICN, am I able to earn star alliance miles on the Uni air flight ?

There is a later BR flight but the Uni flight has better timing.

thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by monsieurcumulus
Bumping this thread.

On a TPE-SGN itinerary by UNI Air, bought on EVA website, I received, as *G, a “lounge invitation” as well as a boarding pass when I did online check-in. Travelling in Y. The lounge agent denied me entry saying it was a codeshare. I asked her if she could speak to a supervisor as I received the invitation specifically for the flight and they let me in “making an exception”.

The lounge is not that great but the shower felt real good!
UNI Air uses Eva Air's Amadeus reservation system for all international flights. Therefore, the system codes all flights as BR and will auto-issue Eva Air things. The agent is supposed to tear up the lounge pass on B7 flights and looks like they made a mistake.

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
As Star alliance Gold flying on Uni air between TPE and ICN, am I able to earn star alliance miles on the Uni air flight ?

There is a later BR flight but the Uni flight has better timing.

thanks!
No
HawaiiO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.