Wiki Posts
Search

EVA Air - Credit card used to purchase

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Platinum
EVA Air - Credit card used to purchase

I purchased a flight on EVA a month ago, and the first paragraph (right below the booking reference) says:
To safeguard..., passengers are required to present the credit card they used when purchasing the ticket upon check-in...

The original credit card that I used is expiring before my trip, and I have been issued a new one. How strict is this regulation? Do I need to worry about this?

I don't want to bring the old credit card during the trip (another piece to get lost, etc.), so what should I do?

(I'm also worried about hotels, too.)
Old May 9, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by bt_yyz
I purchased a flight on EVA a month ago, and the first paragraph (right below the booking reference) says:
To safeguard..., passengers are required to present the credit card they used when purchasing the ticket upon check-in...

The original credit card that I used is expiring before my trip, and I have been issued a new one. How strict is this regulation? Do I need to worry about this?

I don't want to bring the old credit card during the trip (another piece to get lost, etc.), so what should I do?

(I'm also worried about hotels, too.)
As long as the new card has the same exact number as the old one, you should have no problem. The EVA check in agent normally swipe the card to make sure its the same number.
Old May 10, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asiadxer
As long as the new card has the same exact number as the old one, you should have no problem. The EVA check in agent normally swipe the card to make sure its the same number.
It's not the same number. The CC issuing company changed the type of card, so it's a new number.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not the same number. The CC issuing company changed the type of card, so it's a new number.
Just bring your old card. They only need to see that you actually have or had that credit card.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
EVA always check my CC when check-in for first flight, the rule is pretty strict. Once they forgot to see it when I checked in, I had to show it a the gate.
Basically you have two options :
1. Carry the old CC with you
2. Bring the old CC with you to EVA Toronto ticketing office and sign an Indemnity of Payment form

EVA Online Reservation - Essential Information
Old May 10, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Citi-Prestige,
Bring the old, its pretty strict. And seems to be when only leaving the US not returning.
Old May 10, 2015, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why even bother with the issue? Just keep the old card and bring it with you. If you are asked for it, produce it. No muss, no fuss.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asiadxer
EVA always check my CC when check-in for first flight, the rule is pretty strict. Once they forgot to see it when I checked in, I had to show it a the gate.
Basically you have two options :
1. Carry the old CC with you
2. Bring the old CC with you to EVA Toronto ticketing office and sign an Indemnity of Payment form

EVA Online Reservation - Essential Information
Originally Posted by Often1
Why even bother with the issue? Just keep the old card and bring it with you. If you are asked for it, produce it. No muss, no fuss.
It's a bother because of keeping track of different credit cards (also churning at the moment). But since there's no way around it, I want to make sure I (or my wife) don't chop up the card by accident.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The advice is correct, keep the card for now. She can cut it up on the flight if she wishes to.

You also asked about hotels, different story. They almost certainly will insist on a CC, but it can be any CC. They will apply any prepaid amount to the orriginal card (it probably already has been), and at checkout the new card gets the rest.

Diff between hotel and air is that hotel has plenty of time catch fraud when the charge is rejected, airlines have minutes.
Old May 12, 2015, 6:38 am

Buy EVA tickets from travel agent, no CC needed to show at check-in

but yes, bring the old CC, it's not activated anymore is it? no harm anyway
Old May 12, 2015, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Buy EVA tickets from travel agent, no CC needed to show at check-in

but yes, bring the old CC, it's not activated anymore is it? no harm anyway
Oh, that would have been easier! I guess the TA would be responsible to ensure the person matched the CC.

But like AC, I wonder if other airlines also have difficulties with doing seat selection, itinerary changes online from tickets issued by TAs.
Old May 12, 2015, 8:43 am

Oh, that would have been easier! I guess the TA would be responsible to ensure the person matched the CC.

But like AC, I wonder if other airlines also have difficulties with doing seat selection, itinerary changes online from tickets issued by TAs.
I always bought EVA via TA and I can select seats online with my EVA PNR, same goes for Aeroplan reward ticket

For AC metal, I can "usually" choose seats as well on Aeroplan or some TA-issued tickets

Itinerary changes is probably YMMV, I don't think it would be easier with airline itself if you have mixed airlines (e.g. AC connecting to BR)
Old May 12, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: Thai
Definitely bring the old card. I forgot the card once and was required to repurchase a new ticket and wait for a refund on the cancelled one. A big hassle.
Old May 13, 2015, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Now another hurdle? My passport name doesn't exactly match my CC. This is more worrisome than I thought. Then again, I might just go down to the EVA office and sign the Payment Indemnity Form.
You are required to present the credit card used to purchase the ticket during check-in at the airport. For identification at the check-in counter, you must use a credit card with the card number and name stamped into it. You are required to input your first name and last name exactly as displayed on the credit card. Passengers who fail to do so will be denied boarding unless they purchase a full-fare ticket at the airport ticket counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.