Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Eva business class using United miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Thanks for the info. I'm encountering the same thing, booked a connecting flight through TPE, tried to do a SAUA (business award is available on UA) but encountered this error when attempting the *A upgrade through UA.com:
We are not able to process your request. Please contact the operating airline for assistance. (Error code: 516)
Called UA and sure enough, flights are married segments. UA called EVA to request the flights be split but EVA would not do it. Tried calling EVA and after 10 minutes on hold, got cut off. Really frustrating as I'm probably now out $150 refund fee.
Ended up canceling the flight (hopefully without penalty) and today booked the itinerary but as two separate flights (one segment at a time). Now when trying an SAUA, get the same error code and EVA tells me it was booked as a married segment (despite my attempt!). Asked for a supervisor and was told the same as yesterday, they won't unmarry (divorce?) segments for a *A upgrade.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:11 pm

Ended up canceling the flight (hopefully without penalty) and today booked the itinerary but as two separate flights (one segment at a time). Now when trying an SAUA, get the same error code and EVA tells me it was booked as a married segment (despite my attempt!). Asked for a supervisor and was told the same as yesterday, they won't unmarry (divorce?) segments for a *A upgrade.
Wow, that's terrible news. I don't know enough about behind-the-scenes ticketing to know if it is possible to have a "married" segment ticket if you don't have any connecting flights. Anyone? Or can be it that the outbound and return segments are "married?" So confusing...

Please keep us updated as this doesn't feel right. Wondering if this is UA's poor IT striking again. Also wondering what the recent success rate of other FTers using UA's engine to get a SAUA on BR might be?
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
@FlytheTail - Hang up, try again - also try the line in Taipei - they have an English option, and seem to do this a few times. Also try asking for a supervisor (both LA and TPE office).

@dc_gooner - see above, they have an English option (FYI, Mandarin is the official language there, although BR is one of the few airlines that does speak Taiwanese).

@dc_gooner - it is a ton of work. It used to not be when airlines had dedicated Star Alliance hotlines. Good thing they got rid of that, and so they could post profits....

Said that - consider if you do change, and have to deal with married segments, and or IT issues, especially so close to departure dates. I literally spent an hour and a half each day for 5 days straight trying to deal with this (work got in the way of dealing with it for longer each day), and did not get the outbound bump.

Hopefully you're *A gold, and can use the shower on your transit. If not, you're right, the BR 11 may be a decent option, even if you don't get the bump, you'll get a shower and a rest.

LAX-JNB, that is hardcore, hats off to you - that is a long flight.

Good luck!!!!
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by grant2112
Wow, that's terrible news. I don't know enough about behind-the-scenes ticketing to know if it is possible to have a "married" segment ticket if you don't have any connecting flights.
My flights are YYZ-TPE-XXX, one way. So, I do have one connecting flight.

Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
@FlytheTail - Hang up, try again - also try the line in Taipei - they have an English option, and seem to do this a few times. Also try asking for a supervisor (both LA and TPE office).
I made this request 3 times and each time was told it was not possible. I tried the line in Taipei and it was busy several times last night. Tried again this morning (US time) but they were closed for the night.

Lesson learned: Purchase individual flights (at a higher cost), or connecting flights on one ticket only when there is upgrade inventory for all segments.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
My flights are YYZ-TPE-XXX, one way. So, I do have one connecting flight.

I made this request 3 times and each time was told it was not possible. I tried the line in Taipei and it was busy several times last night. Tried again this morning (US time) but they were closed for the night.

Lesson learned: Purchase individual flights (at a higher cost), or connecting flights on one ticket only when there is upgrade inventory for all segments.
FWIW, for those readers who do not routinely read the United entries, they are conducting many experiments with married segments on both revenue and award tickets. Reasons offered for the increase in married segments vary, my own suspicion is it part of their dynamic award pricing schedule.

As this poster observed, a married segment does make the process of booking upgrades more uncertain, especially since the "marriage" will not be obvious.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA
So I just got off the phone with EVA in the LA office. The agent said she's never heard of this problem - not being able to upgrade only 1 segment of a married segment. I don't think she's lying. I honestly believe she's just never come across this situation. She was pretty clear that I would be able to use a SAUA on just one segment of a married segment ticket.

Of course, she also said that if I had any questions about this, that I should contact UA since that's where my miles are coming from.

I'm on the phone with UA now.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by dc_gooner
So I just got off the phone with EVA in the LA office. The agent said she's never heard of this problem - not being able to upgrade only 1 segment of a married segment. I don't think she's lying. I honestly believe she's just never come across this situation. She was pretty clear that I would be able to use a SAUA on just one segment of a married segment ticket.

Of course, she also said that if I had any questions about this, that I should contact UA since that's where my miles are coming from.

I'm on the phone with UA now.
Fyi. UA agent just told me that her service director told her that if the segments are married, you can not use a SAUA for only 1 segment.

Upgrade availability must be available for both segments and you must use SAUA for both segments.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 1:01 pm

Fyi. UA agent just told me that her service director told her that if the segments are married, you can not use a SAUA for only 1 segment.

Upgrade availability must be available for both segments and you must use SAUA for both segments.
This gets better and better...

Called UA again, agent said that I definitely can use a SAUA on a single segment within a married segment.

Called EVA. Agent said that using a SAUA on a single segment of a married segment is no problem at all.

Still don't know if I'm willing to gamble here.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
This gets better and better...

Called UA again, agent said that I definitely can use a SAUA on a single segment within a married segment.

Called EVA. Agent said that using a SAUA on a single segment of a married segment is no problem at all.

Still don't know if I'm willing to gamble here.
Yikes, do you have any AC miles? SAUA worked flawlessly for my last LAX-TPE-SIN trip, upgraded both segments...
Old Aug 11, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by gpeso8
Yikes, do you have any AC miles? SAUA worked flawlessly for my last LAX-TPE-SIN trip, upgraded both segments...
I have no AC miles. Did you fly BR all the way? Do you know if they were married segments? I'm assuming they were...
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
I have no AC miles. Did you fly BR all the way? Do you know if they were married segments? I'm assuming they were...
I really don't have any idea if the segments were married. Both segments were on BR and it was a one-way ticket purchased directly from EVA.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
@ dc_gooner ...inquiring minds want to know, what happened/what'd you go with?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
Mostly oneworld flyer here, asking an ignorant question, as the SAUP doesn't really have a similar oneworld equivalent.. So (providing the upgrade space was available), I would ticket a B fare on BR stock, but I'd call UA to process the SAUP?
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by tomofmaine
Mostly oneworld flyer here, asking an ignorant question, as the SAUP doesn't really have a similar oneworld equivalent.. So (providing the upgrade space was available), I would ticket a B fare on BR stock, but I'd call UA to process the SAUP?
That's right. In theory you'd purchase a Y or B fare on BR metal and then use UA's website (or phone agent) to apply the SAUA using your UA miles. Of course, if your miles are with another airline, say AC, then you'd go through AC to apply a SAUA to your BR flight.

BTW, it is SAUA, not SAUP. SAUA=Star Alliance Upgrade Award
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
@grant2112.. Noted, and thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.