Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA F vs BR J - seat width, overall quality

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
No it is not, it only shows the FA are lazy, as they only want to finish as fast as possible so that they can go to the galley, close the curtains and do their own thing !

Compare to SQ and CX, especially CX has a lot more overnight flights than BR, did CX crew ever rush the service just because it is overnight flight ? Not really.
I don't think the main reason they rush is laziness. It is tough - if you take too much time, people (especially those in the back) will complain. If you rush, then people think you are lazy or not refined. HK pace is much faster than Taiwan but Taiwan is pretty fast in many aspects. So, people expect things to happen fast.

There is a way to rush without people feeling rushed - this is what I think BR needs to work on.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:23 pm

No it is not, it only shows the FA are lazy, as they only want to finish as fast as possible so that they can go to the galley, close the curtains and do their own thing !
I don't think so. I usually depart on the night flight after a long day at work so I would prefer (as well as many in my firm) to not have the meal service drag on so I can get to sleep. So, I agree with superangrypenguin.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
United F seems to have larger space, but BR J has pretty good service
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by username
There is a way to rush without people feeling rushed - this is what I think BR needs to work on.
I felt BR rushed the crap out of my service too! It's BR18 that leaves mid day and arrives mid day.

I was barely even done with my dinner before the FA swinged by and asked if I wanted dessert.

CA in comparison, I had to ask for dessert cause the service was so poor!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Lots of love for SQ here. On the AC forum where I usually lay my eggs, the general consensus is that BR > SQ in soft product (slightly). Many of us find SQ's service to be "robotic"...

As for another poster talking about those of us who want to sleep to choose the "Express" option - is there really one on BR? There is on AC, but I have not seen BR having one. Also, to another poster who said that they want to rush it to then be in the galley, I haven't found that to be the case. They walk up and down the aisles a lot more than say...AC, even on the red eyes
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
I don't think so. I usually depart on the night flight after a long day at work so I would prefer (as well as many in my firm) to not have the meal service drag on so I can get to sleep. So, I agree with superangrypenguin.
Are you aware many airlines (including BR and even the American ones) have express dining (one tray service) ?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Are you aware many airlines (including BR and even the American ones) have express dining (one tray service) ?
If so, where is this advertised? on AC Metal, it explicitly calls out Express service on the meal, I have not once seen this on BR.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:37 pm

BR/J all the way over UA/F

Having flown both, I would say, unequivocally, that BR has the better product any way you look at it.

UA's F service is crappy beyond belief. On my last UA/F flight, pre-takeoff drinks were served in plastic cups, the table cloth was actually a napkin (tell tale button hole in the corner!), pilot declined to turn on channel-9 (a good part of my reason to suffer UA in the first place), the whiskey was Dewar's (I guess they could sink lower and serve Korean whiskey, if there is such a thing), lunch menu had the same steak and ice-cream sundae that they have served for the past 20 years in Business, the only extra course - the soup - was served in something resembling a thimble, inflight snacks were the sane as those served back in business, the FA has to raid her personal stocks because I asked for some green tea, NOT ONCE was I addressed by name...I could go on.

I would say that the seats are similar. UA 744 F by the window is pretty enjoyable. The configuration on UA is also better for looking out the window as it is not reverse heringbone..
IMHO, UA/F herringbone seats are not all that comfortable - but then my girth is larger than average. And on my BR flights , I do not recall any "reverse herringbone" seats at all. Besides, they have only 4 seats across the width of a 777 - plenty of space, even for me.

I think some might say EVA's service is too fast - both in RL and Y - the service feels rushed at times. I guess that is Taiwanese efficiency.
Most of BR's transpac flights take off around midnight; at that time, any passengers who are earing dinner are keen to turn in and get horizontal a.s.a.p. - IMO, BR reads the situation correctly and does not linger on their meal service.

Last edited by shonamac; Dec 9, 2014 at 7:52 pm
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought about the UA F vs. BR RL seat setup a little more. UA F is definitely better - the seats are a little wider, the foot part is not as narrow and it is not as hard to get in/out as the BR RL. While I can sleep just as well in both, I think UA's F seat is better. BR RL seat is also pretty hard.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:20 pm
Suspended

I thought about the UA F vs. BR RL seat setup a little more. UA F is definitely better - the seats are a little wider, the foot part is not as narrow and it is not as hard to get in/out as the BR RL. While I can sleep just as well in both, I think UA's F seat is better. BR RL seat is also pretty hard.
Sorry, but I'd still fly BR over UA F. I'd rather get Ebola than fly UA
Old Dec 10, 2014, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Sorry, but I'd still fly BR over UA F. I'd rather get Ebola than fly UA
We know how you feel about EVA The less-than-perfect comments here about EVA are not meant to change YOUR mind so don't feel you have to re-iterate your feelings about EVA every time there is a comment like that.

The 2nd sentence is insensitive for those who have been affected by this terrible disease and the medical workers who risk their lives battling this disease.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

We know how you feel about EVA The less-than-perfect comments here about EVA are not meant to change YOUR mind so don't feel you have to re-iterate your feelings about EVA every time there is a comment like that.

The 2nd sentence is insensitive for those who have been affected by this terrible disease and the medical workers who risk their lives battling this disease.
The second comment was a tongue in cheek comment, not meant to upset anyone, especially those battling this disease. You know, sarcasm? Albeit, too soon perhaps.

As far as the first comment goes, it's my opinion, and that I am entitled to, just as you are entitled to yours.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
On BR J, if you speak Mandarin, you get the homey feelings, like your grandmother asking if you've eaten yet. A bit too homey for my liking at times. For English speaker (i.e. my travel companion), so-so service, similar to SQ/CX, that is. Food is OK(ginger lobster) to amazing (Japanese meals - better than NH/SQ/CX J and UA F). Seat is nice but still J. TPE lounge is good, not as exclusive as the UA F but food and beverage beats UA F lounges in ORD and HKG.

UA F, big old seats. You do get lots of real estate. It's also grandmother (but grumpy and often frail) asking what you want. I asked for a cold sake from the F selection but was served hot cheaper J stuff without explanation. One lady serving chocolate truffle had severely shaking hands. I feel sorry for her.

Most of the time the FA's were busy talking with their off-duty colleagues seated in F (on Japan and China flights).

Food court meals. Some appetizers were worse than food court.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beep88
On BR J, if you speak Mandarin, you get the homey feelings, like your grandmother asking if you've eaten yet. A bit too homey for my liking at times. For English speaker (i.e. my travel companion), so-so service, similar to SQ/CX, that is. Food is OK(ginger lobster) to amazing (Japanese meals - better than NH/SQ/CX J and UA F). Seat is nice but still J. TPE lounge is good, not as exclusive as the UA F but food and beverage beats UA F lounges in ORD and HKG.

UA F, big old seats. You do get lots of real estate. It's also grandmother (but grumpy and often frail) asking what you want. I asked for a cold sake from the F selection but was served hot cheaper J stuff without explanation. One lady serving chocolate truffle had severely shaking hands. I feel sorry for her.

Most of the time the FA's were busy talking with their off-duty colleagues seated in F (on Japan and China flights).

Food court meals. Some appetizers were worse than food court.
I'll plus one this. When I spoke English, it was friendly, but not over the top. I chose to speak in Mandarin, leaving my Caucasian wife speaking in English. I could compare the difference in service. In Mandarin, it was much more friendly/familial than the service in English. That I will say is true. I don't think that's a bad thing though as English speaking travelers are used to the N. American style...so whether intentional or not, I think it's a good thing...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EVA's FA's English ability has always been a problem. I guess they tend to hire FAs that are less educated (Jr. College / nursing school, etc. vs. university) as the corporate culture is to hire them young and train / brainwash them to the Evergreen Way.

In the early days of EVA, you can't even strike up decent conversations with FAs in Mandarin - many were just too young and inexperienced to converse. Now the young generation is not as shy.

A lot of the English problem can be easily corrected if they paid some attention - but they don't. For example: offer passengers snack instead of snake, as some say It is made worse when some FAs use the same crazy artificial announcement tone in English as they do in Mandarin.

It would not be fair or reasonable to expect them to converse and behave the, for example, American way, when they speak English. It is not their native language or culture after all.

My impression is that the Thai/Vietnam FAs speak better English than the Taiwanese ones. I have yet to see a non-Taiwanese FA work in RL.

It used to be that the Taiwanese felt that they get treated 2nd class when flying on foreign carriers and even CI. One of the founding motivations for EVA is to have an airline where the Taiwanese are not treated 2nd class. I think that has been achieved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.