Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gengar
Upgrades to business class on EVA Air (BR) using United Airlines (UA) miles can be achieved via Star Alliance Upgrade Awards (SAUA). On BR, booking classes Y, B, and K are eligible for SAUA.

Reference links:
The general (not UA-specific) SAUA on BR thread on this FT forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-...award-eva.html
Official UA information page about SAUA: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...de-awards.html
Official UA interactive award mileage chart: https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...ardTravel.aspx
Official UA page to request SAUA (requires login): https://www.united.com/web/en-us/app...rdUpgrade.aspx

There exists limited debate as to whether SAUA availability on BR is tied to fare bucket "I" or fare bucket "Z". Initial confusion arises from the fact that fare bucket "I" is what indicates SAUA availability on many other *A carriers; therefore by default "I" is the fare bucket often associated with SAUA and is listed in some third-party tools such as KVS.

However, extensive reports from FT'ers indicate that SAUA availability on BR is actually tied to fare bucket "Z"; a total of nine different FT'ers have reported upgrading via SAUA despite I=0, with many of these FT'ers reporting Z>0. Additionally, at least one FT'er has reported being unable to upgrade when I>0 and Z=0. (For reference, see posts [63] [64] [65] [70] [71] [72] [76] [77] in the general SAUA thread and post [118] from this thread.)

Z fare bucket on BR is not displayed on BR's website or on third-party tools such as ExpertFlyer; the only way to check Z availability is to call BR directly. FT'ers have suggested calling the Taipei call center (internationally, +886 225011999 ) and specifically not mentioning SAUA or upgrades and only asking for Z fare bucket information, as discussing SAUA can only serve to confuse the phone agent.
Print Wikipost

Steps to EVA upgrade w/ UnitedMiles

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by dc_gooner
Anybody with KVS (or another comparable program) willing to help me out? Looking for *A upgrade availability from economy to royal laurel. Thanks!

BR 1 - LAX-TPE - Aug 17
BR 12 - TPE - LAX - Aug 26
Bump. Can anyone please help? Thx.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
Some what related, EVA is offering a Y fare with a $150 upgrade in Premium Economy. If I take it, does the fare remain Y? Still hoping SAUA opens up later.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by thekaica
Some what related, EVA is offering a Y fare with a $150 upgrade in Premium Economy. If I take it, does the fare remain Y? Still hoping SAUA opens up later.
Depends on what happens to your ticket as it is the ticket fare basis that determines eligibility for a *A upgrade. On EVA you can upgrade tickets with a B, Y or K fare basis. K is the "full fare" premium economy fare.

If upgrading your Y ticket to premium economy causes the ticket to be reissued then it will likely be reissued into one of EVA's "discount" premium economy classes which would make it ineligible for an upgrade... the automated process would determine that the ticket was not a B, Y or K ticket.

DAK
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by thekaica
I think you'd end up with a 'T' class fare.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
@dc_gooner
Good news, and bad news.

Good news, your flights at 50%, and 40% capacity for the outbound and inbound flights, respectively.

Bad news....looks like BR is being super stingy with LAX-TPE flights for BR 1 and 15 (the overnights), but opens up BR 11, the one that gets in at night, that you really don't need a flat bed for, unless you plan on making a B-line to luxy and party all night *I digress* To add insult to injury, there's space available. Example, this Wednesdays BR flights all have 5+ open seats, but only BR 11 is available. No use if they open it up after today since SA needs 24hr to clear.

Will this pattern continue to August? Not sure. Can't tell if summer is peak, but I was able to clear two last year in Fall. A couple of weeks ago it was a different tune.

Same story goes for the return to USA's. The flight that gets in at 9pm always open, but everything else that requires the flat bed hardware, no such luck. Also, no more Dom, and no Krug on the LAX legs...so the Y and B may not be worth the up-charge (not that one should fly solely for bubbly).

Hope things turn around, it was nice while it lasted, but I've also seen the RL service decline in the past two years.

....and off my soap box.

Good luck, I've also read some people get the bump despite lack of inventory display on UA or KVS, so worth a shot to call.

Cheers,
PST.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by PacificStandTime
@dc_gooner
Good news, and bad news.

Good news, your flights at 50%, and 40% capacity for the outbound and inbound flights, respectively.

Bad news....looks like BR is being super stingy with LAX-TPE flights for BR 1 and 15 (the overnights), but opens up BR 11, the one that gets in at night, that you really don't need a flat bed for, unless you plan on making a B-line to luxy and party all night *I digress* To add insult to injury, there's space available. Example, this Wednesdays BR flights all have 5+ open seats, but only BR 11 is available. No use if they open it up after today since SA needs 24hr to clear.

Will this pattern continue to August? Not sure. Can't tell if summer is peak, but I was able to clear two last year in Fall. A couple of weeks ago it was a different tune.

Same story goes for the return to USA's. The flight that gets in at 9pm always open, but everything else that requires the flat bed hardware, no such luck. Also, no more Dom, and no Krug on the LAX legs...so the Y and B may not be worth the up-charge (not that one should fly solely for bubbly).

Hope things turn around, it was nice while it lasted, but I've also seen the RL service decline in the past two years.

....and off my soap box.

Good luck, I've also read some people get the bump despite lack of inventory display on UA or KVS, so worth a shot to call.

Cheers,
PST.
Thanks for looking into it! Having inventory is better than not having inventory. At least that way there's a chance! I hope they open up some RL seats closer to departure. We'll see. In the meantime, I'll just keep trying the saua on ua.com.

When you say some people get the bump despite lack of inventory display on UA or KVS, are they calling BR or UA?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
Call the UA Star Alliance upgrade line, or try on the UA SAU page.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:22 am

Hey fellow FTers, I need some advice and help.

I'm relatively new / inexperienced to the award/upgrade arena and looking for advice/help with an upcoming family trip at the end of the year from Houston IAH to Saigon SGN on Dec 18 - Jan 1 (BR 51 and BR 52). We're slightly flexible on the dates +- 3days.

I see that I can book on EVA either H for $1467 , or B for $1904. I have a lot of Ultimate rewards points that I can also use to book awards travel and be #0 out of pocket.

Should I go with:
a. Book 3 H tix for $4401
b. Book 3 B tix for $5279 and use UR points to UA to upgrade to I tix?
c. Book 3 H tix with UR points for 347k points

Currently I'm leaning towards b or c options. I mainly travel for leisure, so, I don't have status or many FF points except for the chase UR points. I've been building up the chase points but haven't really used them except for occasional SW flights.

If I choose b option, I believe I would just apply for upgrade via United's *A upgrade page. Do I need to transfer my chase points to UA before I check for upgrades? If an upgrade isn't readily available, would I go on a waitlist for the upgrade or would I have to keep checking daily? Is there an order of preference for upgrades, ie status members get priority or is it based on waitlist placement? If there is a waitlist, any way to find out where I am on the list?

I appreciate and thank you for any advice or help you can provide.

ps, I'm only concerned about the to/from Taipei portions of the flights
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:44 pm

Programs: CX Gold, UA Silver, AA Gold (1MM), Marriott Plat
Just wanted to share a recent experience: Booked a Y-fare ticket SIN-TPE with intention to upgrade using UA miles, both KVS availability tracker and UA.com showed no availability in business class (searching for I class). I figured I'd give the upgrade a shot anyway and it went through! Looks like it booked in Z class.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Lightbulb Upgrade EVA Airways

Originally Posted by hpvamp
... Booked a Y-fare ticket SIN-TPE with intention to upgrade using UA miles, both KVS availability tracker and UA.com showed no availability in business class (searching for I class) ... it went through! Looks like it booked in Z class.
Congrats & thanks for sharing! The below suggests Y may be viewed as Economy Elite:
Originally Posted by tai4de2
... Awards:
Code:
Coach (UNI domestic) W
Upgrade coach->elite U
Upgrade elite->biz   Z
Coach                X
Elite                E
Business             I
Old Sep 17, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Congrats & thanks for sharing! The below suggests Y may be viewed as Economy Elite:
Y is regular economy on EVA now (it used to be ED). K, L and T are Elite. Elite does not exist in the MileagePlus Upgrade world. You go directly from Economy to RL.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
*A and EVA program upgrades go into Z class - use KVS to search, but be advised there are recent reports of significant technical issues upgrading BR tickets with UA miles, especially where BR sees "married segments" if you are connecting beyond TPE.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
So I booked a BKK-TPE-LAX in "B" with the intent of upgrading both segments. Prior to booking I checked UA and BR website to verify there is availability.

After booking the ticket I logged into UA to do an upgrade, it says "unavailable." Yet on both websites, still show as available as award bookings.

Any idea how to fix this?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by buylowsellhigh
So I booked a BKK-TPE-LAX in "B" with the intent of upgrading both segments. Prior to booking I checked UA and BR website to verify there is availability.

After booking the ticket I logged into UA to do an upgrade, it says "unavailable." Yet on both websites, still show as available as award bookings.

Any idea how to fix this?
What you're probably encountering is the married segments issue that many of us have seemingly butted heads against recently. How to solve is to get EVA to "unmarry" the segments. It isn't clear how many have been successful in getting EVA to do this. It is also possible that it is a UA IT issue, in which case UA doesn't seem to be working on it very diligently.

As your ticket stands today, the way you could get the SAUA to work would be if EVA had authorized a BKK-LAX award, rather than separate BKK-TPE award and a TPE-LAX awards. Your ticket was priced in EVAs system as effectively BKK-LAX (due to the marrying). Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong in my logic here. So, either you need to get EVA to unmarry your segments or perhaps book each segment individually so as to avoid the married segments issue entirely. If you just booked your ticket directly with EVA you have 24 hours to get a full refund just in case you don't have success in getting them to unmarry your ticket.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:45 pm

I have spent several days trying to use UA miles to upgrade from economy B to Business on EVA. IAH-TPE-MNL. No success. 3 out of 4 EVA agents says they CANNOT unmarry the segments so the upgrade can be done. UA cant do anything.

Has anyone really been able to get EVA to unmarry segments for upgrade with UA miles???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.