Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA to launch Toronto

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:14 pm

Nope, PRC passport holder cannot travel to other countries from TW, but can travel to domestic destinations.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
What a stupid move by Eva. There is barely (I mean really small) such thing as Taiwanese immigrant population here in Greater Toronto - only around 15,000 according to 2006 census figures. Who on earth is going to fill their planes?

This will be a short-lived route.
Not 'stupid' at all....the only thing 'stupid' would be your assumption that EVA will be relying on O & D traffic YYZ-TPE....they will be selling YYZ-SGN and YYZ-MNL - both of which are huge and growing markets...do you really think that the professional route planners at BR are unaware of the demographics of Toronto? Sometimes, the negativity of armchair airline CEOs on this forum makes me laugh......

/the westbound stop in ANC is non-competitive, agreed....but they must be anticipating a lot of cargo...
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:46 pm

Yeah, I would have to say that EVA planners have to have some intelligence at least. They have to commit to a triple 7 aircraft or two to run this route and that is not small change. So its a very major investment. I should think they have done a lot of homework.

3 times a week just one aircraft can do it. Perhaps the 4th run will use a spare 747? Or perhaps if they codeshare with AC one of their aircraft?

EVa has 2 new 77w coming. I guess this will allow the Toronto flights as well as the increase in London flights.

And regarding the PRC passport holder stopovers. Are you sure someone with a PRC passport could not at present fly from say LAX to TPE and not enter Taiwan but continue on to another destination? They would need a visa to enter TAiwan but I was sure they could transit as long as they dont enter Taiwan?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by tommy525
And regarding the PRC passport holder stopovers. Are you sure someone with a PRC passport could not at present fly from say LAX to TPE and not enter Taiwan but continue on to another destination? They would need a visa to enter TAiwan but I was sure they could transit as long as they dont enter Taiwan?
PRC passport holders cannot do routes such as PVG-TPE-LAX, as traveling from TW to a third country is not allowed. I'm not sure about routes such as LAX-TPE-PVG, but it wouldn't help much even if they're allowed this way.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzer1
Not 'stupid' at all....the only thing 'stupid' would be your assumption that EVA will be relying on O & D traffic YYZ-TPE....they will be selling YYZ-SGN and YYZ-MNL - both of which are huge and growing markets...
The stupid thing is for anyone to believe they can steal enough MNL/SGN bound pax away from CX & KE to generate high passenger loadings for their own flight. Who on earth will take a two stop (YYZ-ANC-TPE-MNL/SGN) over a one stop journey (YYZ-HKG-MNL/SGN or YYZ-ICN-MNL/SGN) where the timing of the first stop (ANC) takes place at an unearthly time when people will least want to be waken up. Not to mention both carriers are either superior and/or on par with Eva on their products. Sure there might be a little bit of EVA fans going to the far east that will go out of their way to fly the carrier but really where is the belief that MNL/SGN will generate serious loads for Eva when the two competitors offer much better alternatives. It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out. Almost anyone who has taken the CX flight to HKG via ANC during the A343 days will admit how annoying it was to undergo the process of that tech stop.
Originally Posted by yyzer1
Sometimes, the negativity of armchair airline CEOs on this forum makes me laugh......
Well you are also one those armchair airline CEOs on this forum in being "sure" "this route will do really well". So in reality you are also laughing at yourself.

Last edited by Rejuvenated; Dec 27, 2009 at 1:36 am
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:07 am
Suspended

Other than people just posting on forums, I cannot find any sources regarding this. I've also searched everywhere and I cannot find the flights as well. Why are people so inclined to believe stuff when there are no credible sources? There was a thread last year regarding SQ flying nonstop to YYZ where schedules were also posted regarding the new route but the whole stuff never became a reality. I'm not saying the OP is definately lying, but don't believe everything you read.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by StarFeat
Other than people just posting on forums, I cannot find any sources regarding this. I've also searched everywhere and I cannot find the flights as well. Why are people so inclined to believe stuff when there are no credible sources? There was a thread last year regarding SQ flying nonstop to YYZ where schedules were also posted regarding the new route but the whole stuff never became a reality. I'm not saying the OP is definately lying, but don't believe everything you read.
Maybe an official BR Message to the largest airline booking system in Taiwan will make you believe...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I have flown EVA Air on the SEA-TPE route 7 times in the last 7 months and I can tell you that the main passenger loads are from Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, and Thailand. These passengers are usually working class folk filling up the rear. Eva Air treats them well and offers a fantastic economy product but more importantly, offers morning arrivals in most of these cities.

This morning or mid day arrival is extremely important for passengers to catch domestic flights from Manila, Jakarta, or Bangkok. I live in Mindanao and the Eva Air flight is the only flight that allows me to connect onto a domestic Philippine flight without overnighting in Manila. I would say the same situation exists for Jakarta and Bangkok. This market is huge for the Toronto area.

It's a smart move for EVA Air as long as they can hook up with the Ethnic Travel Agencies across Metro - they will be doing well indeed.

If they can do $799 fares out of Toronto like they do $599 and $699 fares out of Seattle, SFO and LAX - they will blow CX and KE out of the water.

lastly, CX and KE do not have a great reputation with how they treat their Filipino, Indo and Thai passengers. Many have complained of poor second class treatment. I have not heard this from EVA. Maybe factor - maybe not.

Bring it on EVA - you have me convinced. I know your product and have chosen to relinquish my status on Star Alliance and SkyTeam because EVA offers everything I want - great price, great timetable, great service, fantastic economy product, and a FF Program that actually allows me lounge access on Silver plus an extra bag for check in. I can't ask for anything more.

Last edited by davistev; Dec 27, 2009 at 11:39 am Reason: sp
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:06 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by Rejuvenated
It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out.
Well.. rocket science isn't hard anyway. It's rocket engineering that's the problem. Don't think it's being deployed on this route though!

Last edited by jimbo99; Dec 27, 2009 at 9:33 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BR YYZ flight just got a big boost by TSA.

It is more pleasant to fly TPE-YYZ-LGA than TPE-EWR now. You only need to suffer through the short hop YYZ-LGA.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davistev
I have flown EVA Air on the SEA-TPE route 7 times in the last 7 months and I can tell you that the main passenger loads are from Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, and Thailand. These passengers are usually working class folk filling up the rear. Eva Air treats them well and offers a fantastic economy product but more importantly, offers morning arrivals in most of these cities.
SEA-TPE is nonstop with no middle-of-the-night stopover interruption. YYZ-TPE is not. This difference will put BR in a major disadvantage from CX/KE. The annoyance of the ANC stopover has been documented many times at the CX forum.
I live in Mindanao and the Eva Air flight is the only flight that allows me to connect onto a domestic Philippine flight without overnighting in Manila.
The earliest EVA flight to arrive MNL (BR271) arrives at 11:45am. The earliest CX flight (CX907) to arrive MNL arrives at 9:55am which is 1hr 50 minutes earlier than the BR flight. The earliest KE flight (KE621) to arrive MNL arrives at 11:10 am which is 35 minutes earlier than the BR flight. So if a passenger can connect to a domestic flight within the Philippines without an overnight in MNL from a BR flight, then they can also connect to a domestic Phillipine flight from the CX and KE flights without overnighting in MNL. Both of those CX & KE flights into MNL are also connectable same-day from the carrier's YYZ flights respectively. So I don't know where you drew your conclusions from that passengers have to limit themselves to BR to avoid an overnight at MNL. Okay maybe from SEA one cannot since CX doesn't fly there and the KE flight arrives in the late afternoon. But YYZ is the port of the argument on hand on this discussion not SEA and as stated earlier both CX & KE flights ex-YYZ connect same-day to those MNL bound flights departing from their respective hubs.
I would say the same situation exists for Jakarta and Bangkok. This market is huge for the Toronto area.
There is no such thing as a "huge" Indonesian Immigrant Market nor "huge" Thai Immigrant Market in the Toronto area. The GTA population of former is only approximately 5,000 while the latter is only 2,000 according to census data from three years ago which the two combined together is not even half of the already tiny 15,000 Taiwan immigrant community.
If they can do $799 fares out of Toronto like they do $599 and $699 fares out of Seattle, SFO and LAX - they will blow CX and KE out of the water.
And if they do that, Eva will be withdrawing from this route quickly. The huge majority of airline revenues come from premium cabins with premium paying passengers, not from selling deeply discounted coach fares. One of the main reasons why they (BR) can afford to sell $599/699 economy fares ex-LAX/SFO/SEA is because at the same time, those cities have high quantity of customers paying premium fares to sit in premium cabins. The same cannot be said for Toronto. One cannot compare the quantity of the premium markets of those major west coast US cities versus Toronto where the advantage is lopsided for the former. This is one of the same reasons why CX/KE cannot discount their economy fares ex-YYZ as low as ex-LAX/SFO or even near them.
lastly, CX and KE do not have a great reputation with how they treat their Filipino, Indo and Thai passengers. Many have complained of poor second class treatment. I have not heard this from EVA. Maybe factor - maybe not.
I cannot speak for Thai passengers. But I have relatives & friends in/from Indonesia and I also have Filipino friends & colleagues. They have told me that they themselves and the people they know of have had nothing but positive experiences in flying CX & KE and nothing close to the poor 2nd class treatment that you are referring to. As a matter of fact airlines such as CX have plenty of Filipino cabin crews where one of the objectives in having them is to serve the large demographics of those passengers.

To sum things up, there is plenty to list as to why this route will be a disappointment for BR which includes but not limited to:
1) YYZ-TPE requires middle-of-the-night ANC stopover. CX's YYZ-HKG and KE's YYZ-ICN are both nonstop which will make them more attractive than BR's
2) CX & KE have either superior to or at par onboard products with BR's
3) YYZ is poor premium load market
4) TPE when compared to HKG & ICN, is not a high end destination
5) The Taiwanese immigrant population in GTA is tiny at approximately 15,000
Old Dec 28, 2009, 11:55 am

Time will tell if it works. EVA looks committed to going ahead with Toronto. In a year's time after the service starts we can say if its a successful route or not.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:27 pm

I think whether the route will be success or not comes down to:

1. How they price out Elite class. Elite class is a great choice on this long flight, paying a little bit extra, and get much more comfort. If they promote their Elite class well enough, I will expect the cabin to be full most of the time.

2. Freight load. To be honest, EVA focuses on Cargo service more than passenger service. If they can fill the cargo, they probably wouldn't really care how many people are on board.

3. Transit passenger gathering. Not everyone likes big airports such as HKG, ICN, NRT. TPE in my opinion is much easier to make a tight connection.

4. Mainland Chinese immigrant/student. I don't think it will be a problem when Chinese immigrants transit in TPE with Canadian passport. The ability for PRC passport holders to transit at TPE is still not possible. We will see if any change will be made in next few months.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jon X-Pacific
I think whether the route will be success or not comes down to:

1. How they price out Elite class. Elite class is a great choice on this long flight, paying a little bit extra, and get much more comfort. If they promote their Elite class well enough, I will expect the cabin to be full most of the time.

2. Freight load. To be honest, EVA focuses on Cargo service more than passenger service. If they can fill the cargo, they probably wouldn't really care how many people are on board.

3. Transit passenger gathering. Not everyone likes big airports such as HKG, ICN, NRT. TPE in my opinion is much easier to make a tight connection.

4. Mainland Chinese immigrant/student. I don't think it will be a problem when Chinese immigrants transit in TPE with Canadian passport. The ability for PRC passport holders to transit at TPE is still not possible. We will see if any change will be made in next few months.
Good points. I heard the Mainland Carriers are wanting to push for Taiwan to/from North America business actively in Taiwan. And I can see EVA and Ci wanting to push the same with Mainlanders in China. And of course they will be need to be able to transit Taiwan airports for that. I think EVA and Ci can appeal to mainlanders on their way to North America and back via TPE. And also I can see Taiwanese wanting to perhaps save a few bucks by flying mainland carriers via China to/from the USA and Canada.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: NH Plat, AA Gold
This flight won't appeal to me as I hate the technical stopover at Anchorage. The tech stop, based on experience with CX, is usually longer than the stipulated time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.