Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss Pass, first or second class?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 12:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Question Swiss Pass, first or second class?

I haven't settled for sure on pass vs point-to-point, but the question pertains either way: what are the benefits of first class over second class on the Swiss trains? I know that's hard to answer objectively, so pure opinion welcome. What do/would you buy, and why?
I'm flying in to Zurich and plan to go from airport to Bernese Oberland, do at least one of the peaks there, maybe both, (expensive!!) then back to Zurich, and ultimately the airport. I don't have time to take any of the panoramic train routes, and I think the run from the airport to Wengen is only 3 or 4 hours if that makes a difference on which would be best. I'm looking for advice on availabilty of seats, amount of personal space, comfort, luggage room, or any other tidbit you have. I did do a search of this forum, and browsed Steve's and Fodor's guidebooks at the airport, as well as their respective websites, and did not find this question addressed. The money difference between 1st and 2nd if I buy the Flexipass is about US$150.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skipaway
I haven't settled for sure on pass vs point-to-point, but the question pertains either way: what are the benefits of first class over second class on the Swiss trains? I know that's hard to answer objectively, so pure opinion welcome. What do/would you buy, and why?
I'm flying in to Zurich and plan to go from airport to Bernese Oberland, do at least one of the peaks there, maybe both, (expensive!!) then back to Zurich, and ultimately the airport. I don't have time to take any of the panoramic train routes, and I think the run from the airport to Wengen is only 3 or 4 hours if that makes a difference on which would be best. I'm looking for advice on availabilty of seats, amount of personal space, comfort, luggage room, or any other tidbit you have. I did do a search of this forum, and browsed Steve's and Fodor's guidebooks at the airport, as well as their respective websites, and did not find this question addressed. The money difference between 1st and 2nd if I buy the Flexipass is about US$150.
On the national railroads, the seating comfort in 2nd is excellent and at the end of each car there is plenty of space for luggage. On many mountain railroads there is NO fc.
The big advantage of fc over 2nd is when riding at peak travel times, there may not be enough seats even in fc let along 2nd.
Most passes are not valid on many mountain trips (at least the section which gets you to the top.
If you go to sbb.ch, and select english, you can put in itineraries and see the actual train routing, on most you can see if fc is even available.
Sometimes point to point tickets can be cheaper than the pass, but the pass allows you to change routes and explore interesting side routes without buying a ticket.
[Many Swiss buy annual 1/2 fare cards, which allow them to ride in fc for 1/2 price--causing fc to fill up.]
Old May 21, 2009, 10:46 am

Last time in Switzerland we had a 1st class pass. Wasn't really necessary as 2nd class appeared about as nice and roomy as 1st. For our next trip (This weekend!) we're sticking with 2nd class to save some $$$.

As was noted in another post, the only big advantage is you are more likely to get a seat in 1st class during peak times.
Old May 21, 2009, 2:41 pm

Programs: M&M
Ditto....I've had 14 of them over the last 7 years....2nd is just fine except for rush hour times and even then if you board the train right when it arrives, you'll have no trouble getting a good seat and room for luggage. As for going to Wengen, you are covered by the pass Interlachen to Lauterbrunnen. From there to Wengen is only one short hop on the next train going up to Kleine Shiddigg(5 minutes)... and on all mountain trains you will get a discount.

TrainLover
Old May 21, 2009, 4:59 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I'm flying in to Zurich and plan to go from airport to Bernese Oberland, do at least one of the peaks there, maybe both, (expensive!!) then back to Zurich, and ultimately the airport. I don't have time to take any of the panoramic train routes, and I think the run from the airport to Wengen is only 3 or 4 hours if that makes a difference on which would be best
If that's your only itinterary, you should consider the Swiss Transfer Ticket, which allows one return trip between the Swiss border, or one of the airports, to anywhere else in Switzerland. Valid on any train, for a full day each way, so you can stop off a couple of hours on the way if you wanted to, and you could go one way on the mainline via Berne and the other way on the scenic, slower Panorama Express line via Lucerne.

I used one of these to go ZRH-Grindelwald and back a couple of months ago.

Cheaper than the flexipass too.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; May 21, 2009 at 5:21 pm
Old May 22, 2009, 6:45 am
Original Poster

2nd it is, then! Thanks for the benefit of your collective experience. And I'll get back on the site and look at that Swiss Transfer Ticket as well. I'll need to check to see if it gives the discount beyond Murren and Wengen, and decide if I'm going up to Jungfraujoch. I'm definitely planning breakfast at that revolving restaurant that I remember from my youth and James Bond fetish.
Old May 22, 2009, 8:01 am

You can price out your segments on the Swiss rail site. In my rail travel in Switzerland, I have never found any pass to be beneficial over point to point tickets.
Old May 22, 2009, 10:34 am

Talking

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
If that's your only itinterary, you should consider the Swiss Transfer Ticket, which allows one return trip between the Swiss border, or one of the airports, to anywhere else in Switzerland. Valid on any train, for a full day each way, so you can stop off a couple of hours on the way if you wanted to, and you could go one way on the mainline via Berne and the other way on the scenic, slower Panorama Express line via Lucerne.

I used one of these to go ZRH-Grindelwald and back a couple of months ago.

Cheaper than the flexipass too.
Thats what we're using this time around. A 2nd class pass is $111, which makes it cheaper than they cheapest 2nd class fare I could find. (ZRH to Lauterbrunnen)

I think I can find a way to "suffer" in Swiss 2nd class for 2-3 hours.
Old May 22, 2009, 3:50 pm

2nd it is, then! Thanks for the benefit of your collective experience. And I'll get back on the site and look at that Swiss Transfer Ticket as well. I'll need to check to see if it gives the discount beyond Murren and Wengen, and decide if I'm going up to Jungfraujoch. I'm definitely planning breakfast at that revolving restaurant that I remember from my youth and James Bond fetish.
Yes, the Piz Gloria, or Schilthorn (the official name), is really nice, and they've a special James Bond show there as well (free of charge)

The restaurant in the resolving top is not that expensive. Try the Tagesmenu (day menu), it shouldn't be more than 25-30 CHF, drink included (should be starter, main, dessert)

Please note that you'll be driving with the Postauto (bus car) to the valley station (directly inside, no need to walk as the people with own cars have to), and from there take 4 or 5 individual cables till the very top, just like in the movie (where the top section only was private)

I also agree that for Zurich - Interlaken it MIGHT be cheaper to find a single ticket on the internet rather than a combo pack. SBB sometimes have much discounted tickets for some not very popular connections (evenings, mostly), you can get them for up to 60% cheaper during summer. Those tickets have to be bought online on sbb.ch

Another thing which came in my mind is, that you should be much cheaper off (and also, much easier) when simply buying a "Discover trip"/RailAway ticket, depending on special sales you can get up to 50% off, including the drive to the top with the cable or mountain train.

The Jungfraujoch, for example, is the "month hit", giving maximum discount

Check here:

http://www.railaway.ch/deutsch/monat...top-of-europe/

As the price difference is over 100 CHF for this trip with a 1/2 fare card, it MIGHT be worth for you to get one, as the other trip to Schilthorn will also be around 1/2 cheaper, and a yearly card is only 150 CHF.

Last edited by YuropFlyer; May 22, 2009 at 4:01 pm
Old May 31, 2009, 8:11 am

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Just to add (I know I'm coming in late on this one) -

If you're from outside Switzerland, you can get a month's 1/2-fare card (Halbtax) for 99 francs. As YuropFlyer mentioned, the discount goes beyond train travel. I got a discount on the bus up Bussalp, the cable-car up Pilatus, and so forth. In a week of traveling around Switzerland (mostly 1st-class) I saved about 250-300Fr with that card
Old May 31, 2009, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
... and adding a little more, the Halbtaxabonnement is good for public transport across the country.

Examples:
- Zurich airport to anywhere in Zurich CHF 3.20 instead of CHF6.40;
- single ticket in Zurich CHF 2.80 instead of CHF4.00;
- 24-hour ticket in Zurich CHF5.60 instead of CHF8.00.
Tickets from self-service machines using coins, change given.

These prices include travel by tram, bus, train, lake transport and the funicular to Rigiblick, probably more.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 5:18 am
Original Poster

After the Switzerland trip--passes and classes

I bought the second class ticket, and I'm very happy with that decision. The seats are comfortable and the view just as good.

I bought a "Swiss Card" for $180 (assume 1 CHF=1 USD). My trip ZRH to Wengen would have been 160 point to point, so for 20 extra dollars/francs, I purchased the right to half fare train tickets (including the high mountain trains and lifts). My fare to Jungfrau was $50 instead of 100, and I did the Mannlichen lift and a few local train rides at half price. The Swiss Card acts the same as a half fare card with one round trip--border or airport to destination and back-- thrown in. For most travelers, I think the half fare card would be a better deal, though, because you're confined to one area with the Swiss Card. It's good for a month, but once you use your return trip, the validity ends. The only way a Swiss card trumps a half-fare card is if your first (and main) destination in Switzerland is a high priced fare and you're planning to stay in that area. It worked fine for me (180+50+40 totals out very close to the half fare cost of 100+80+40+50, lol), but had I wanted to stay a day in, say, Bern, on the way back to Zurich, my Swiss fare card would not have been valid to get me on to Zurich the next day if I spent the night. Do note that the point to point full fare tickets would have been 160+100+80.

When I got back to Zurich where I spent two nights, I bought a Zurich card, good for unlimited transportation by train, tram, bus or boat, as well as museum entry for 24 hours. That price is up 2 francs this year, to $19. It covers the trip to the airport, regularly $6.50. The watertaxi is around $5 without the card. I went to the Landesmuseum, two watertaxi runs on the Limmat, and the train to the airport. I don't think I saved much, if any, but it's convenient having your transortation covered.

Bottom line--it's not worth fretting over. The passes are a good deal, but for a short trip, the percentage saved is not too significant, especially between half-fare, SwissCard and Flexi-pass. What is significant is the value of second class over first. YMMV
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:54 am

Resurrecting old thread, arriving Zurich airport in early March, on a Sunday morning and catching train to St. Moritz. Assume plenty of seats available in 2nd class as would like to rest after trans-Atlantic flight....

OT, what is distance btw shopping mall and train station at the airport? Need to stop off to pick up Swisscom prepaid sim card before catching the train. Have carry on so no problem rolling my bag

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
Resurrecting old thread, arriving Zurich airport in early March, on a Sunday morning and catching train to St. Moritz. Assume plenty of seats available in 2nd class as would like to rest after trans-Atlantic flight....

OT, what is distance btw shopping mall and train station at the airport? Need to stop off to pick up Swisscom prepaid sim card before catching the train. Have carry on so no problem rolling my bag

Thanks!
The Swisscom shop is basically above the train station. Under 100m to walk to the trains (one level down to the station/ticket sale area, two levels down to the railway tracks)

There is no direct service to St. Moritz from Zurich Airport. You'll have to change in Zurich and either in Landquart or in Chur. If it's a nice, sunny day, trains to the mountains (ie the both 1 hour+ from Zurich to Landquart/Chur, and the Landquart/Chur to St. Moritz) might be rather full. You should be fine to get a seat, but don't expect an empty compartment just for yourself. If it's bad weather, it might be very different, though.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:14 am
Suspended

arriving Zurich airport in early March
There is a Swisscom Shop in ZRH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.