FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Pass, first or second class?
View Single Post
Old May 21, 2009, 10:46 am
NorcrossFlyer

Originally Posted by skipaway
I haven't settled for sure on pass vs point-to-point, but the question pertains either way: what are the benefits of first class over second class on the Swiss trains? I know that's hard to answer objectively, so pure opinion welcome. What do/would you buy, and why?
I'm flying in to Zurich and plan to go from airport to Bernese Oberland, do at least one of the peaks there, maybe both, (expensive!!) then back to Zurich, and ultimately the airport. I don't have time to take any of the panoramic train routes, and I think the run from the airport to Wengen is only 3 or 4 hours if that makes a difference on which would be best. I'm looking for advice on availabilty of seats, amount of personal space, comfort, luggage room, or any other tidbit you have. I did do a search of this forum, and browsed Steve's and Fodor's guidebooks at the airport, as well as their respective websites, and did not find this question addressed. The money difference between 1st and 2nd if I buy the Flexipass is about US$150.
Last time in Switzerland we had a 1st class pass. Wasn't really necessary as 2nd class appeared about as nice and roomy as 1st. For our next trip (This weekend!) we're sticking with 2nd class to save some $$$.

As was noted in another post, the only big advantage is you are more likely to get a seat in 1st class during peak times.