Wiki Posts
Search

Brussels - Heidelberg - Luzern - ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2024, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Brussels - Heidelberg - Luzern - ZRH

Hi All,

I am planning a trip in August and am looking for a sanity check.

After looking at Google Maps transit directions and trying to generate itineraries on Deutsche Bahn and Swiss Rail SBB, it seems that I should use DB (ICE) for Brussels - Heidelberg leg and then Swiss Rail for legs to Luzern and Zurich airport.

Is that reasonable?

Any thoughts on a more direct rail routing from Heidelberg to Luzern? What populated had quite a few transfers.

Thank you all!
Old Mar 26, 2024, 10:47 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
You'll need minimum 2 stops from Heidelberg to Luzern. Usually quite easy at Mannheim and Basel for example.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 6:03 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You can even take trams between Mannheim and Heidelberg.

I find DB's site/app to be usually cheaper and easier to use than SBB for routes involving Germany and Switzerland.

Can you provide more information about your plans, such as how long you want to stay in each place, how flexible you are and whether you need any other local transport?
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enelym1978
You'll need minimum 2 stops from Heidelberg to Luzern. Usually quite easy at Mannheim and Basel for example.
Originally Posted by :D!
You can even take trams between Mannheim and Heidelberg.

I find DB's site/app to be usually cheaper and easier to use than SBB for routes involving Germany and Switzerland.

Can you provide more information about your plans, such as how long you want to stay in each place, how flexible you are and whether you need any other local transport?
Hi Guys,

Thank you.

Objective in Mannheim/Heidelberg is leisure/relaxed local exploration, and objective in Luzern is outdoor exploration with perhaps a day trip to someplace more mountainous area.

Will have 2 nights at each stop. Can happily switch to staying in Mannheim if that would make more logistical sense.

I appreciate any insight offered.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 12:55 pm

I would use DB for Heidelberg to Luzern as well, as your trip starts in Germany. Regardless of who you book with, you will leave Heidelberg on a German train, and arrive in Luzern on a Swiss train...
Old Apr 12, 2024, 1:10 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Make sure the Basel stop is at Basel SBB and not the DB Basel Badischer Bahnhof.
Old Apr 12, 2024, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you both!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.