Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Train questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Newbie Train questions

I will be traveling from Germany for 2 weeks going to Paris, London, Zurich, Milan and return to Germany in that order (all in 2 weeks).

London to Zurich is bit challenging. Train cost over $400. Easyjet varies. I still need to figure cost of bags on Easyjet + ground transport.

If I use Easyjet, how much time will be spent at the London luton airport, going through security etc , LTN? I didn't came across fares for Ryanair, Wizzair?

Is it worth buying Eurail Pass?
If I were buying point to point tickets to these destinations, where should get it?

Last edited by sciconf; Jun 4, 2023 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 4, 2023, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Eurail passes are not necessarily the good deal they used to be. Especially if you can book in advance to take advantage of saver fares. Check the cost of the pass vs what you find for the individual trips to determine which is cheaper. The pass may also exclude some high speed trains.
Usually I purchase tickets from the operator in the starting city - bahn for Germany, sbb in Switzerland, trenitalia in Italy, sncf in France and nationalrail in UK.

If you are not familiar with it, this is an excellent resource for all things train related in Europe - https://www.seat61.com/

ETA - It looks like Swissair is another option for nonstop London to Zurich and seems to be consistently cheaper than BA

Last edited by LostInAmerica; Jun 4, 2023 at 2:31 pm
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Getting 5days 1 month pass is way cheaper for me. Reservation fees are not much.

Suppose if I purchase the pass and did not reserve seats, will the system refuse reservation since there was no seats?
In such case, can you still travel (standing) - will you run into trouble - need to get permission?
Old Jun 4, 2023, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Eurail passes are not necessarily the good deal they used to be. Especially if you can book in advance to take advantage of saver fares. Check the cost of the pass vs what you find for the individual trips to determine which is cheaper. The pass may also exclude some high speed trains.
Usually I purchase tickets from the operator in the starting city - bahn for Germany, sbb in Switzerland, trenitalia in Italy, sncf in France and nationalrail in UK.

If you are not familiar with it, this is an excellent resource for all things train related in Europe - https://www.seat61.com/

ETA - It looks like Swissair is another option for nonstop London to Zurich and seems to be consistently cheaper than BA
What are bag fees are like with Swiss air and EasyJet?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 1:07 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by sciconf
Both depend on the route and what you're planning to take. Cabin bags only? A 23kg bag in the hold? Suggest you do a dummy booking and you'll see what it costs. E.g, on LTN-ZRH, U2 will charge you approx GBP45 for 23kg hold bag + seat assignment if booked in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Clearly listed on their respective websites,

Please do this sort of basic research on your own

Some of your questions have already been answered on your other posts. Please take those into account before asking the same questions again.

SFO to FRA via LHR
farci and MalFr like this.
Old Jun 6, 2023, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

When should I activate the pass? When should I pay the reservation fee?

1) We are four and I bought the EuRail pass for all of us. Pass is good for the few days during a month.
Does the month starts on the 1st of every month? But it won't affect me though as I finish on the 30th.

2) I planned my trip and added it to "My Trip" for each one of us on the EuRail Planner app.
When should I activate the pass?
When should I pay the reservation fee?
I have not added the passport detail yet. Worried that might activate it right away?

Please give some detailed clarification. Thank you
Old Jun 6, 2023, 10:52 pm

1) We are four and I bought the EuRail pass for all of us. Pass is good for the few days during a month.
Does the month starts on the 1st of every month? But it won't affect me though as I finish on the 30th.

2) I planned my trip and added it to "My Trip" for each one of us on the EuRail Planner app.
When should I activate the pass?
When should I pay the reservation fee?
I have not added the passport detail yet. Worried that might activate it right away?

Please give some detailed clarification. Thank you
There is plenty of detailed information here: Mobile Pass Frequently Asked Questions

You can activate the pass right up to the first day of travel. The pass is valid for one month from the the start date of your trip (which you select). So if, for example, you select July 6th as the start date, a one month pass would be valid until August 5th.

For information about making reservations with a pass, this section on the Seat 61 website is probably the best resource.
farci and sciconf like this.
Old Jun 7, 2023, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by railways
There is plenty of detailed information here: Mobile Pass Frequently Asked Questions

You can activate the pass right up to the first day of travel. The pass is valid for one month from the the start date of your trip (which you select). So if, for example, you select July 6th as the start date, a one month pass would be valid until August 5th.

For information about making reservations with a pass, this section on the Seat 61 website is probably the best resource.
So the day I activate does NOT matter - what travel date I have saved under "My Trip" matters - appreciate a confirmation. Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2023, 9:42 pm

So the day I activate does NOT matter - what travel date I have saved under "My Trip" matters - appreciate a confirmation. Thanks
It's best to look at this as a three-stage process:

1. Activate the pass with the date you first plan to travel. You can deactivate the pass at any time before the first date of travel (if you change your mind about the start date).

2. Plan your trips by adding them to "My Trip". You can add as many journeys as you want, including multiple and/or overlapping journeys for the same day, if you haven't made up your mind. This step does not have any impact on the validity of the pass, so you can add journeys for a day even if you are not sure yet that you want to travel on that day.

3. When you are about to start travelling, go to "My Pass" and add a journey from "My Trip". At this point you will be asked if you want to use a travel day. Even then, if the travel day has not started, you can change your mind. (See: "Can I switch or cancel a travel day?" in the FAQ).

So in your case, where you have a flexi-pass valid for x travel days in one month:
a) the activation date sets the start of the one-month period (and can be changed any time before the date you first set).
b) the travel day is a day you want to travel on within this one-month period (and can be changed any time before the start of the day you choose).

Clearly, your first travel day should be the same as the activation date to get maximum benefit of the one-month overall validity period.
Old Jun 9, 2023, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

It's best to look at this as a three-stage process:

1. Activate the pass with the date you first plan to travel. You can deactivate the pass at any time before the first date of travel (if you change your mind about the start date).

2. Plan your trips by adding them to "My Trip". You can add as many journeys as you want, including multiple and/or overlapping journeys for the same day, if you haven't made up your mind. This step does not have any impact on the validity of the pass, so you can add journeys for a day even if you are not sure yet that you want to travel on that day.

3. When you are about to start travelling, go to "My Pass" and add a journey from "My Trip". At this point you will be asked if you want to use a travel day. Even then, if the travel day has not started, you can change your mind. (See: "Can I switch or cancel a travel day?" in the FAQ).

So in your case, where you have a flexi-pass valid for x travel days in one month:
a) the activation date sets the start of the one-month period (and can be changed any time before the date you first set).
b) the travel day is a day you want to travel on within this one-month period (and can be changed any time before the start of the day you choose).

Clearly, your first travel day should be the same as the activation date to get maximum benefit of the one-month overall validity period.
Thanks and it helps me.

1) We are 4 people traveling together. I have 4 trips and 4 passed saved - each for each one of us.
Within each saved trip, I have 5 individual journeys (to be completed on a single day). I will complete the individual journeys in two weeks.

Should I keep individual trips.separately? This might be messy (5x4 individ journeys).

As per your suggestion, when I add a journey from "My Trip", multiple individual trips will be added to the Pass.

2) Most of my journeys require seat reservation.
2.1) I was told its better to go to a station ahead ( travel date) and get it sorted out. It seems station at FRA is not open 24hrs.
Can I able to do it at Euskirchen station? Do they have an international ticketing division?

2.2) Doing the seat reservation online from My Trips...?
Does this mean I buy a ticket as if I do not have the pass? Pay full fare?
Old Jun 10, 2023, 5:44 am

Thanks and it helps me.

1) We are 4 people traveling together. I have 4 trips and 4 passed saved - each for each one of us.
Within each saved trip, I have 5 individual journeys (to be completed on a single day). I will complete the individual journeys in two weeks.

Should I keep individual trips.separately? This might be messy (5x4 individ journeys).

As per your suggestion, when I add a journey from "My Trip", multiple individual trips will be added to the Pass.

2) Most of my journeys require seat reservation.
2.1) I was told its better to go to a station ahead ( travel date) and get it sorted out. It seems station at FRA is not open 24hrs.
Can I able to do it at Euskirchen station? Do they have an international ticketing division?

2.2) Doing the seat reservation online from My Trips...?
Does this mean I buy a ticket as if I do not have the pass? Pay full fare?
Are you checking out the links you are being directed to?

From the FAQ: Travelling in a group with mobile passes . One "My trip" per person.

From the Seat 61 website: Passholder reservations guide . This includes detail almost at the level of hand-holding through the whole booking process, frankly. Wherever possible, get reservations online in advance of your trip.
farci likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Do seat reservations online with the respective train operator.

And Euskirchen is a small town. I'd be surprised if there is a ticket office there that's open outside of peak hours, but I'm sure Google will be able to tell you.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Do seat reservations online with the respective train operator.
It's not just a question of making seat reservations, though. Many international (and domestic, in some countries) trains require a combined pass supplement and reservation which can only be booked through certain sales channels. The Seat 61 guide explains it, warts and all.

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
And Euskirchen is a small town. I'd be surprised if there is a ticket office there that's open outside of peak hours, but I'm sure Google will be able to tell you.
DB Euskirchen station
farci likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
It's not just a question of making seat reservations, though. Many international (and domestic, in some countries) trains require a combined pass supplement and reservation which can only be booked through certain sales channels. The Seat 61 guide explains it, warts and all.

DB Euskirchen station
Having been to Euskirchen (don't ask), it does not look like a place where DB staff are used to doing anything more complicated then selling a SuperSparpreis return to Hamburg. Cologne Hbf would be a better bet for that (but may have longish waiting times for counter service).
farci likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.