Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie Train questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2023, 10:50 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Originally Posted by the810
These trains get very crowded in the season, and the capacity of the first class is fairly low. Do get a seat reservation, it's just 3€ extra, definitely worth it.
Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to reserve seats on this train. I think Tom Tulpe is correct. The DBahn website returns the message "We are unable to offer you any reservations on the service you have chosen" and there is nowhere on the Alex site that offers seat reservations. While searching for a solution I found many adverse reports about the Munich-Prague train and am now reconsidering travel to Prague by this method. The bus may be better. Certainly faster.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 3:37 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by Pierre48
Unfortunately it doesn't seem possible to reserve seats on this train. I think Tom Tulpe is correct. The DBahn website returns the message "We are unable to offer you any reservations on the service you have chosen" and there is nowhere on the Alex site that offers seat reservations. While searching for a solution I found many adverse reports about the Munich-Prague train and am now reconsidering travel to Prague by this method. The bus may be better. Certainly faster.
Seats definitely can be reserved on this route, assuming you are taking a direct train. What dates are you looking at? Have you tried ČD's website (which is the best option to book this route anyway)?

But yes, I agree, bus is better on this route.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:09 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by the810
Seats definitely can be reserved on this route, assuming you are taking a direct train. What dates are you looking at? Have you tried ČD's website (which is the best option to book this route anyway)?

But yes, I agree, bus is better on this route.
Nope, no reservations:
https://www.cd.cz/en/vlak/353/3.7.20...5457076/12.17/
Old Jul 5, 2023, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LostInAmerica
Eurail passes are not necessarily the good deal they used to be. Especially if you can book in advance to take advantage of saver fares.
I understand this perspective and don't intend to criticize it. With that said, 1st class high-speed rail travel in Europe remains a lot more comfortable, less stressful and usually quicker than air travel, as one shows up 5 minutes before departure rather than 2 hours.

First class train seating is crazy comfortable (France and Spain), and train stations tend to be situated much closer to desirable tourist areas than airports. My wife and I could perhaps have saved a little money by going Ryanair or Vueling, but the comfort advantage of going rail has been very much worth it.

Full disclosure: we plan to fly from Dublin to Aberdeen, as there's nothing rail-related to get us there. Otherwise we're using only trains and ferries for our travel throughout France and the British Isles. The Eurail 15 day/2 month passes cost us $644 apiece, and although we need to purchase seat reservations on a few legs, it has proven to be a bargain.
lindaiah likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by MaxBuck
I understand this perspective and don't intend to criticize it. With that said, 1st class high-speed rail travel in Europe remains a lot more comfortable, less stressful and usually quicker than air travel, as one shows up 5 minutes before departure rather than 2 hours.

First class train seating is crazy comfortable (France and Spain), and train stations tend to be situated much closer to desirable tourist areas than airports. My wife and I could perhaps have saved a little money by going Ryanair or Vueling, but the comfort advantage of going rail has been very much worth it.

Full disclosure: we plan to fly from Dublin to Aberdeen, as there's nothing rail-related to get us there. Otherwise we're using only trains and ferries for our travel throughout France and the British Isles. The Eurail 15 day/2 month passes cost us $644 apiece, and although we need to purchase seat reservations on a few legs, it has proven to be a bargain.
LostInAmerica was talking about saver fares on rail (advance purchase discounts), not airfares.
Old Aug 11, 2023, 8:10 am

First time using DB rail, so I‘ve got a couple more newbie questions. With a Flexpreis ICE ticket from Dusseldorf City to Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf, my understanding is that I can use any train that plies that route on the same day. I can also break the journey at Cologne, and continue on my way towards FRA a few hours later. How would seat reservations work in this scenario? Would it mean purchasing 2 separate seat reservations?

Also, if I get off the train at Cologne Hbf, would I be permitted to get on a train at Cologne Messe/Deutz later? If that is allowed, would the included city-ticket cover the fare between Cologne Hbf and Cologne Messe/Deutz, or is that strictly only for use between my hotel and Dusseldorf Hbf?
Old Aug 14, 2023, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyingbubbles
First time using DB rail, so I‘ve got a couple more newbie questions. With a Flexpreis ICE ticket from Dusseldorf City to Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf, my understanding is that I can use any train that plies that route on the same day. I can also break the journey at Cologne, and continue on my way towards FRA a few hours later. How would seat reservations work in this scenario? Would it mean purchasing 2 separate seat reservations?
Yes seat reservations are per train. However you can make multiple reservations on one booking. You could for example on DB buy a ticket from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt, add a stopover of a couple of hours in Köln, and add seat reservations.

Also, if I get off the train at Cologne Hbf, would I be permitted to get on a train at Cologne Messe/Deutz later? If that is allowed, would the included city-ticket cover the fare between Cologne Hbf and Cologne Messe/Deutz, or is that strictly only for use between my hotel and Dusseldorf Hbf?
The "City Ticket" is only for local transit at the endpoint. However, since trains from Cologne to Frankurt pass through Deutz you can indeed choose to board the train there in stead, as you are still on the route you bought your ticket for.
flyingbubbles likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 8:37 am

Thank you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.