Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lille Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:36 am
Original Poster

Lille Europe

It used to be claimed, many years ago, that some TGVs through Lille Europe were non-stopping and went through the station at something approaching 300km/hr. Is this still the case and, if so, how could I find out which services. If that's no longer the case, does anyone know where I could "train-spot" a TGV going past me at nearly full speed? I'm trying to include this experience in a Europe trip from Australia so I'm very flexible about destination :-)
Thanks
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Not a TGV in Belgium but an ICE in Germany

On the dedicated high speed track between Cologne and Frankfurt the ICE goes at that speed. There are two stations along the main part of the line where most trains don't stop (Montabaur and Limburg South). You can spot the train from the platform as it passes through those stations, using the middle tracks (i.e. not the ones with platform access).
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by ugrugga
It used to be claimed, many years ago, that some TGVs through Lille Europe were non-stopping and went through the station at something approaching 300km/hr. Is this still the case and, if so, how could I find out which services. If that's no longer the case, does anyone know where I could "train-spot" a TGV going past me at nearly full speed? I'm trying to include this experience in a Europe trip from Australia so I'm very flexible about destination :-)
Thanks
I believe the line speed through Lille Europe is actually 200 km/h (125mph). In any case you can't see it from the platforms, the high speed line is walled either side (the entire station and the line itself are effectively indoors!)

In the UK you can see Eurostar going through Stratford at 230 km/h which is the line speed for that section. I believe they go through Ebbsfleet at 300 km/h so you could take a train there from London and see.

In France there are a couple of stations such as Haut-Picardie where trains go through and there is a good view of the tracks. HP is in the middle of nowhere though.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube which would be able to help with a location.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ugrugga
It used to be claimed, many years ago, that some TGVs through Lille Europe were non-stopping and went through the station at something approaching 300km/hr.
It's boring. I wouldn't bother. Contrary to Japan or China, the fly-through tracks are walled of by two massive concrete walls in stations. If you want to see the TGV fly past at high speed, pick a nice spot overlooking the LGV.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
This is a Eurostar passing Haute-Picardie at full speed.

This is Eurostar at Stratford:

Old Jun 15, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Here's the wall in question (Avignon TGV)

St. Exupery TGV (Lyon)

and Lille-Europe (I don't think that they pass through at high speed given that it is an underground train station)

Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
There are no platforms where you'll have the train going 300 km/h next to you. It might be one track over and that track will be separated by sound walls, but nothing where you can just stand next to a train going 300 km/h.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.