FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lille Europe
Thread: Lille Europe
View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2017, 9:52 am
BahrainLad

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by ugrugga
It used to be claimed, many years ago, that some TGVs through Lille Europe were non-stopping and went through the station at something approaching 300km/hr. Is this still the case and, if so, how could I find out which services. If that's no longer the case, does anyone know where I could "train-spot" a TGV going past me at nearly full speed? I'm trying to include this experience in a Europe trip from Australia so I'm very flexible about destination :-)
Thanks
I believe the line speed through Lille Europe is actually 200 km/h (125mph). In any case you can't see it from the platforms, the high speed line is walled either side (the entire station and the line itself are effectively indoors!)

In the UK you can see Eurostar going through Stratford at 230 km/h which is the line speed for that section. I believe they go through Ebbsfleet at 300 km/h so you could take a train there from London and see.

In France there are a couple of stations such as Haut-Picardie where trains go through and there is a good view of the tracks. HP is in the middle of nowhere though.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube which would be able to help with a location.