Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Geneva-Paris: Bus+Duplex or Lyria?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Geneva-Paris: Bus+Duplex or Lyria?

We are going from Geneva to Paris next month.

Our options are the TGV-Lyria direct, or route through Lyon which puts us on a TGV-Duplex for Lyon-Paris. Only issue with the latter is that due to track construction, there is a ~90 min bus transfer out of Geneva before continuing on by train.

We were hoping to experience the duplex, but not if the bus transfer will be uncomfortable or a hassle. Any advice?
Old Jun 27, 2014, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Have you considered EasyJet? We flew to ORY from GVA a few weeks ago and it was inexpensive, quick and easy.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Analise
Have you considered EasyJet? We flew to ORY from GVA a few weeks ago and it was inexpensive, quick and easy.
We did, as well as AF Mini fares, but the train fare was close enough that it wasn't worth the hassle of getting to/from the airports, etc. Plus we kind of wanted to take a train through the Alps and French countryside.

We ended up booking the Lyria direct to Paris, and ended up on a Duplex on the way back from Paris to Zurich. Best of both!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by gooselee

Our options are the TGV-Lyria direct, or route through Lyon which puts us on a TGV-Duplex for Lyon-Paris. Only issue with the latter is that due to track construction, there is a ~90 min bus transfer out of Geneva before continuing on by train.

We were hoping to experience the duplex, but not if the bus transfer will be uncomfortable or a hassle. Any advice?
Is there any reason why you want to go on a Duplex? If anything they feel more cramped than the Lyria (a 'traditional' single deck TGV) although the views are slightly better from the upper deck.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Lyria in this case if it's a direct train, vs a 90 minute bus journey and another transfer. I travelled on the TGV from Lille to Lyon recently, normal deck, new First Class "Lacroix" interior and it was tremendously comfortable.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Originally Posted by gooselee

Is there any reason why you want to go on a Duplex? If anything they feel more cramped than the Lyria (a 'traditional' single deck TGV) although the views are slightly better from the upper deck.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Lyria in this case if it's a direct train, vs a 90 minute bus journey and another transfer. I travelled on the TGV from Lille to Lyon recently, normal deck, new First Class "Lacroix" interior and it was tremendously comfortable.
We had heard recommendations from friends for the upper deck for the views. Looks like we'll get to experience both and still have the direct route - good to know the regular Lyria is also good!
Old Jul 5, 2014, 1:15 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I've done Paris to Geneva on the TGV.

The part of the journey from where the TGV splits off from the Paris-Lyon line to Geneva (via Bellegarde) is the most scenic part of the trip. It's beautiful.

I don't know what the bus trip from Geneva to Lyon is like but I think it would be a shame not to take the TGV from Geneva to Paris. The transfer and luggage shuffle is another reason not to do it really.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I've done Paris to Geneva on the TGV.

The part of the journey from where the TGV splits off from the Paris-Lyon line to Geneva (via Bellegarde) is the most scenic part of the trip. It's beautiful.

I don't know what the bus trip from Geneva to Lyon is like but I think it would be a shame not to take the TGV from Geneva to Paris. The transfer and luggage shuffle is another reason not to do it really.
From what I can tell, the same track construction that necessitates the bus transfer is also rerouting the remaining Geneva-Paris direct trains north toward Lausanne. So it looks like that scenic part between Geneva and Bellegarde is not going to happen for us no matter what.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:29 am

Oh, didn't realise there was trackwork.

If the train is going via Lausanne then it's still a nice trip.

Whether a Duplex is worth it, that's subjective.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Oh, didn't realise there was trackwork.

If the train is going via Lausanne then it's still a nice trip.

Whether a Duplex is worth it, that's subjective.
Yes, we are excited either way.

Thanks all for the feedback! Ultimately we're going for convenience, as it's just slight differences in a few hours' worth of train rides to enjoy several days in Switzerland and France!
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:27 am

Just pointing out the obvious (but for abundant caution), if the train is going via Lausanne, reserve your seat on the right hand side as you leave Geneva as you will get the view of Lac Leman (Lake Geneva).
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
I am trying to book the Lyria from Paris to Geneva and their website says that the quickest time for this trip is 3 hours and 5 minutes however when I put my dates of travel in (around 5th august) the quickest trip time I can see is 4 hours and 30 minutes. Anyone know why this is?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zainman
I am trying to book the Lyria from Paris to Geneva and their website says that the quickest time for this trip is 3 hours and 5 minutes however when I put my dates of travel in (around 5th august) the quickest trip time I can see is 4 hours and 30 minutes. Anyone know why this is?
This is about the same time I am going.

The ordinary direct trains between Geneva and Paris, which route west from Geneva through Bellegarde, are not running due to track construction. Instead they go northeast toward Lausanne before turning back toward Paris, thus the longer route and time.

(Obviously your routes from Paris>Geneva will be the revers of what I described.)
Old Jul 16, 2014, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just pointing out the obvious (but for abundant caution), if the train is going via Lausanne, reserve your seat on the right hand side as you leave Geneva as you will get the view of Lac Leman (Lake Geneva).
It looks like we were automatically assigned seats on the left side .

Are we able to ask for a change at the station before boarding? If not we will simply hope for some empty seats and switch once on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.