Wiki Posts
Search

Rhine Train Travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Rhine Train Travel?

My family will be staying in Cologne for 3 days. One of days, we want to do a river cruise and seeing some of the castles and towns. So here the basic plan:

1. Train Cologne to Bingen and hop on a KD ship(10:30 AM) to St Goar
2. Visit and lunch in St Goar
3. Arrive in Braubach to visit Marksburg Castle by 4:00 PM for tour(english)
4. Visit and Dinner in Koblentz
5 Train back to Cologne

Questions:
What's the best method for train travel, i.e. Lander pass?
We have one child under 15 and understand may travel free with parent?
Is this too much for 1 day?
Any suggested changes?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 5:57 pm

The towns you want to visit are in different Laender, so a Laenderpass doesn't make much sense. For a group the Quer durchs Land ticket or (on weekends) the Schoenes Wochende ticket are your solution.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Note that the Länder-Tickets, Quer-Durchs-Land ticket and Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket are only valid on local/regional trains (ie: S-Bahn, RB, IRE, and RE), and the first two are only valid after 9am weekdays. Some of the trains on your routes are ICE/IC - which these tickets are not valid on. In particular:
- For Koblenz - Köln, it's only ~15 mins slower on the local trains (so the price and flexibility of the aforementioned tickets is probably worth the slightly longer journey time)
- However, for Köln - St Goar, it's ~1.5hrs if you take an ICE/IC as far as Koblenz, versus ~2.5hrs if you take a local train (MRB) all the way.

If I was doing this route, I would probably buy a Sparpreis ticket (discounted, buy in advance, tied to a specific train) for Köln - Koblenz - St Goar to start the day (which would also allow a pre-9am departure on weekdays, which you would need in order to make a 10:30 boat from St Goar), and then use a Quer-Durchs-Land ticket for flexibility when coming back...

If you look at the conditions for the Länder, Quer-Durchs-Land and Schönes-Wochenende tickets, they should say something like: "Maximum 2 paying passengers, one of whom can be accompanied by any number of his/her own children/grandchildren (so-called "family children") under the age of 15 free of charge." Also for SparPreis tickets: "Children under 15 travel for free if they are accompanied by their parents or grandparents."

I can't comment on whether it's realistic to do all this in one day - but I'd suggest you look carefully at the relevant journey times on bahn.de, and see if you feel that gives you enough time in each location.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by KQ321
Note that the Länder-Tickets, Quer-Durchs-Land ticket and Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket are only valid on local/regional trains (ie: S-Bahn, RB, IRE, and RE), and the first two are only valid after 9am weekdays. Some of the trains on your routes are ICE/IC - which these tickets are not valid on. In particular:
- For Koblenz - Köln, it's only ~15 mins slower on the local trains (so the price and flexibility of the aforementioned tickets is probably worth the slightly longer journey time)
- However, for Köln - St Goar, it's ~1.5hrs if you take an ICE/IC as far as Koblenz, versus ~2.5hrs if you take a local train (MRB) all the way.

If I was doing this route, I would probably buy a Sparpreis ticket (discounted, buy in advance, tied to a specific train) for Köln - Koblenz - St Goar to start the day (which would also allow a pre-9am departure on weekdays, which you would need in order to make a 10:30 boat from St Goar), and then use a Quer-Durchs-Land ticket for flexibility when coming back...

If you look at the conditions for the Länder, Quer-Durchs-Land and Schönes-Wochenende tickets, they should say something like: "Maximum 2 paying passengers, one of whom can be accompanied by any number of his/her own children/grandchildren (so-called "family children") under the age of 15 free of charge." Also for SparPreis tickets: "Children under 15 travel for free if they are accompanied by their parents or grandparents."

I can't comment on whether it's realistic to do all this in one day - but I'd suggest you look carefully at the relevant journey times on bahn.de, and see if you feel that gives you enough time in each location.
Thanks comments. Looks like a good plan to take ICE to St Goar and use a day pass for the rest.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, IHG plat, DB Comfort, SPG gold
Originally Posted by KQ321
Also for SparPreis tickets: "Children under 15 travel for free if they are accompanied by their parents or grandparents."
Please note that it it is mandatory to have the ticket issued for <number of passengers> + <number of children>. While you don't have to pay for the children, they still need to be present on the ticket (probably in order to prevent a train to become overbooked - I guess that the free children still count towards the Sparpreis contingents).
Old Jan 23, 2013, 2:20 pm

Programs: TK Elite, LH FTL
Originally Posted by sbc94523
Is this too much for 1 day?
Seems totally do-able, if somewhat hectic, in one day. Note that you will get to Koblenz quite late, so opportunities for sightseeing will be limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.