Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FYRA to Brussels - Any news?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:44 am
Original Poster

FYRA to Brussels - Any news?

Last I heard, that was a few months ago, the FYRA high speed train service was due to start its Brussels service "in December 2011".

If that is still the case I would have expected to start seeing some further announcements by now. To date I have seen and heard nothing. Has anyone out there heard something?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:17 am

The 2012 timetable has an hourly Amsterdam-Schiphol-Rotterdam-Antwerp-Brussels service taking 1h46, in addition to the Amsterdam-Schiphol-Rotterdam-Breda increasing to 4x hourly.

This new timetable is supposed to start December 11th, but the whether (when) they can run the full timetable is subject to how quickly the new trains arrive.

Info here:
http://www.infrasite.nl/news/news_ar...31&language=nl

Last edited by Reason077; Sep 16, 2011 at 8:23 am
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by brianc_li
Last I heard, that was a few months ago, the FYRA high speed train service was due to start its Brussels service "in December 2011".

If that is still the case I would have expected to start seeing some further announcements by now. To date I have seen and heard nothing. Has anyone out there heard something?
NS already returned the 4th train to Italy (where the manufacturer is located) for fine tune (normal procedure on high-speed trains).
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Well all I can say is that the NSHispeed site is still showing the regular IC services for dates after 11th December.

Seems like - as usual - their PR people are saying one thing whilst operations are doing another.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:21 pm

Does anyone know if there will be a surcharge for Eurail Pass holders on Fyra BRU-AMS?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:34 am

Fyra: Last minute deal clears the way for Brussels services

JUST six days before the first trains were due to run, the Dutch and Belgian governments have finally settled their long-running dispute over the launch of Fyra high-speed services between Amsterdam and Brussels, clearing the way for the launch of commercial operations on December 9.

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...2#.UL3tRaViG2V

Better late than never
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:32 am

Update on Fyra service

An update for those that have not been able to follow this “soap opera” in the Dutch/Belgian press (and good to know for those that are planning train travel between Belgium and the Netherlands): the new Fyra service has been having serious problems ever since it started. But now the trains have been banned completely (at least temporarily) from Belgium for safety reasons.
(http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuw...18_Fyra_banned)

Your best option for now between Brussel/Antwerpen and Rotterdam/Amsterdam is the Thalys service (unless you want to try a combination of local and regional trains).

Last edited by Koby; Jan 19, 2013 at 3:36 am Reason: grammar
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:05 pm

The Fyra trains have had problems with winter snow and ice. They have been withdrawn for trials with refurbished systems (trucks/bogies, yes; air intake?; brakes?). In the spring I'm sure they'll run again as anticipated.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
It's poor in the extreme for a service nobody seems to want other than the Governments who have squandered a load of money on the high-speed lines.

The UK should look very closely to demonstrate why HS2 is a waste of money, and providing capacity (longer trains and higher frequencies) on existing lines is a far preferable if less "sexy" way to spend the money.

Do rail passengers like:-
- Market pricing? No.
- Compulsory reservations? No.
- Higher fares for small journey time increases? No.

Passengers want flexibility, punctuality, reliability and capacity for a good value fare, mostly, and don't so much care about 5 minutes here and there so long as the service is operated to the published timetable and isn't unreasonably slow. The airline-ising of railways is not generally appreciated.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.