Wiki Posts
Search

Eurostar Standard vs Standard Premier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Eurostar Standard vs Standard Premier

I'm booking a one way ticket from London to Paris this summer, and Standard Premier is $50 more per person. Is it worth it?

It seems that the food is mediocre at best, but I'm mainly interested in the extra room. It looks like SP is ~30" seat width vs 18", and ~38" pitch instead of 33".

Also, friends tell me SP is worth it solely to avoid carloads of screaming children.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:13 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
I've travelled on Eurostar several times now (always in Standard) and found the seat room to be adequate for the 1h51 trip between Brussels and London. I've also never seen sceaming children in Standard class (though maybe this is more likely to happen if you travel during school holidays, which I didn't).
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
From the Eurostar FAQ page:

Q. What can I expect on board?

A. Eurostar offers three classes of service:-

Business Premier (First Class)
Dedicated carriages for full-fare ticket holders only, at-seat light meal including drinks and champagne, express breakfast options, newspapers and magazines, lounge access. Option to pre-purchase chauffeur cars at both ends of the journey. All First Class carriages are now equipped with UK and continental power points. Business Premier tickets are recognised by the number "1" for First Class under the class indicator on your ticket.

Standard Premier (formerly Leisure Select)
Exactly the same reclining seat as in Business Premier. A cold Continental breakfast or light canap style meal and ONE complimentary drink including tea and coffee is served at your seat. Magazines are available, no newspapers. No lounge access. As Standard Premier is not First Class the number "1" will not appear under the class indicator on your ticket.

Standard Class
Standard Class seat, refreshments for purchase from the bar-buffet. No at-seat trolley service. Full-fare ticket holders are automatically allocated seats in either coaches 5 or 14, the only coaches in Standard Class equipped with UK and continental power points.
Q. What are the seating arrangements like?

A. Standard Class:
Seats are arranged in a 2-2 configuration similar to airlines. Armrests are moveable but seats do not recline. All seats have a fold-down table and a foot-rest (except for seats around a fixed table). In a normal standard coach half the seats will be facing the direction of travel. Seat pitch is decent enough.

Business Premier/Standard Premier:
There is no difference in the seating arrangements between these two classes. Seats are in a 2-1 configuration throughout the whole of First Class. Coaches 7, 8, 11 and 12 will have seats arranged in pairs, singles and fours around a table. Seats side by side with seatback tables are Aisle and Window seats. Seats of four around a fixed table are known as Club 4 whilst single seats facing each other around a fixed table are known as Club Duo. Individual (Solo) seats have a seatback table and foot-rest. Seats are reclineable by pushing the button on the moveable armrest and shifting the base of your seat. You will know if your seat is around a fixed table if it has Club Duo or Club 4 printed on your ticket.
Q. What food can I expect in Standard Premier?

A. Very poor quality based on the comments in this thread:

Goodbye Eurostar Leisure Select, hello Standard Premier
And yes, standard often has lots of loud children, particularly around school holidays!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Aha! There was a Eurostar FAQ in the UK/Ireland forum. Thanks.

I think Standard will be fine. We're going on August 2, so I don't think school holidays will be much of a concern.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:42 am

Compared to airline "economy" seats, Eurostar Standard seats are relatively confortable.

One thing to take into account - all First and Premier seats have power plugs, while you'll need to book specific coaches to find plugs in Standard. These are coaches 5 and 12.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:55 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by eurostarclient
Compared to airline "economy" seats, Eurostar Standard seats are relatively confortable.

One thing to take into account - all First and Premier seats have power plugs, while you'll need to book specific coaches to find plugs in Standard. These are coaches 5 and 12.
I think it's 5 and 14 (12 is Standard Premier or Business Premier).

To the OP: I'd pay the extra $50 for Standard Premier. The food is nothing special - an interesting but very small snack, and one bar service run - but you do get fed. The seats are incomparably more comfortable and the general ambiance is much quieter, especially if it's a day where the train is full.

You have a choice between airline-style and facing-each-other seats. The latter are great if there isn't anyone opposite you, but can be a bit cramped (not easy to stretch legs) if there is. I usually book an airline-style seat but move to a facing-each-other seat if one is free; the tables of 4 are usually the last to be booked.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Standard Premier is NOT worth it. Spend the $50 on some food and wine from the station at either end (good options in both Gare du Nord and St Pancras) and it will be far, far better than the rubbish that Eurostar serve up to SP passengers.

No issues with taking a bottle of red and a corkscrew through the security checkpoint.

Before it was "enhanced" down to SP, Leisure Select was great with three course dining and plenty of booze including fizz, but now it is an absolutely pathetic ripoff.

And remember, flashing your Amex Platinum will get you into the lounges at each station.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Standard Premier is NOT worth it. Spend the $50 on some food and wine from the station at either end (good options in both Gare du Nord and St Pancras) and it will be far, far better than the rubbish that Eurostar serve up to SP passengers.
I disagree. It's not only about the food. On my last Paris-London trip I was very glad that I paid the extra money. (There was only a small difference.) Standard was completely packed with groups of teenagers and families with children. In my Standard Premier carriage there where only 4 passengers. To me, it felt like paradise (after the zoo of check-in, immigration, security and the waiting area)...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Koby
I disagree. It's not only about the food. On my last Paris-London trip I was very glad that I paid the extra money. (There was only a small difference.) Standard was completely packed with groups of teenagers and families with children. In my Standard Premier carriage there where only 4 passengers. To me, it felt like paradise (after the zoo of check-in, immigration, security and the waiting area)...
+1.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Koby
If it's a small difference...like 10 or something...then I would take it. But no more, particularly as I am still angry with Eurostar trashing Leisure Select, replacing it with an inferior product, raising the prices and claiming this was all due to customer demand.

I have also found Standard very pleasant and opposite to what you describe, but as always YMMV.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BahrainLad

And remember, flashing your Amex Platinum will get you into the lounges at each station.
Do you know how many guests can you get in with Amex Plat?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Do you know how many guests can you get in with Amex Plat?
None, unfortunately. Just the cardholder.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
None, unfortunately. Just the cardholder.
Ok.. thanks. I guess it's not as big of deal as getting airport lounge access anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.