Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > European Rail Travel
Reload this Page >

What is First Class on SBB Swiss Rail like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum

Is it worth paying the difference between 2nd class and 1st class between Zurich and Luzern? About an hours trip. I can't find anywhere, what the difference is.

The time that I am looking at travelling shows an IR train. Is this okay or should I wait the 20 minutes or so for an IC train?

The web site is showing me CHF28 same day return for 2nd class and CHF50 for first class.

I am going to the Swiss Museum of Transport Lucerne, and they are having a 30% off April special, so it could only be CHF35 for 1st and 19.6 for second.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:26 am

It depends on what time of day you are travelling.

If it's off-peak second class should do absolutely fine. If it's a peak commuting time you may want to pay the extra and travel first class just for the extra space, and the greater likelihood of finding a seat.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Easter Sunday from 9am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify
Easter Sunday from 9am
Well, you obviously won't get any commuters on Easter Sunday... but I'm afraid I don't know to what extent Swiss families go on outings by train on Easter Sunday.

From memory, second class seating is four across (2-2) and first class seating is three across (1-2). Other than that, and the fact that you tend to find more empty seats in first class, there isn't really that much difference.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The IC train is likely to be more comfortable and stop less frequently. 1st class gets you a slightly spacier seat, fewer people, but otherwise that's it.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
I find the First Class seats on the single-decker trains (as an IR is likely, but not certain, to be) to be horribly uncomfortable. Sprung bases with absolutely no back or thigh support. I genuinely find the second class seats on those trains vastly more comfortable.

However, on the double-deck stock or older regional stock they are worth paying for as second class seats are too narrow, and those ones are comfortable enough.

Neil
Old Apr 10, 2012, 4:52 pm
Suspended

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and...bb-lounge.html
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: KE MC
You can see how busy the train is on rail.ch under "Occupancy".

I rarely take first class unless I really want to sit down when there is no available seats in second class (pay upgrade fare onboard). I recommend buying second class.

Also, OP cannot go into lounge for 1st class travel as it is within switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.