Wiki Posts
Search

Pass/Gift Card/Discount Gift?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
Pass/Gift Card/Discount Gift?

My younger sister will be spending a year in Austria (in Linz) and I am considering buying her some kind of rail-related gift. She will likely be jaunting around continental europe. I want something she can use at random to go on a spur of the moment trip.

I had initially looked into buying her an InterRail pass but they're simply not flexible enough. The X days in Y time frame just won't work when she'll be there for so long.

I am happy to get her a VORTEILScard, but it's just a discount and doesn't quit accomplish what I want.

Gift certificates seem to be nonexistent on DB and OBB, among others.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by Alpha; Apr 22, 2011 at 10:22 pm
Old Apr 23, 2011, 2:39 am

Programs: KLM, Thalys
What you are looking for is really a tourist product. Most train services have a one year subscription price, but it is not cheap and it is for commuting between two points.

Some rail systems offer their own tourist pass (such as the Swiss Pass, for example), but I don't know of any that are longer than one month.

Since most tourists only visit for a few weeks, at most, (other than young people), I think it will be very difficult to find something for a year.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
I think a Bahncard 25 could be a nice gift. giving her 25% off everything at DB. even the cheapest promotion gets an additional 25%. Just bought Prague-Berlin-Hamburg-Freiburg with Bahncard 25 for 29,95€ . she can save alot on these fares and Germany is not very far away from Linz.

she should sign-up to FT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.