Search

budapest venice night train

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
budapest venice night train

hi

considering taking the night train to venice from budapest,but reading mixed reviews-am trvelling with 3 little kids-
cananyone advise on this-are the trains new?can you get a good sleep?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
hi

considering taking the night train to venice from budapest,but reading mixed reviews-am trvelling with 3 little kids-
cananyone advise on this-are the trains new?can you get a good sleep?
I've taken the train (in the opposite direction), and it was fine. The cars aren't new, but I slept comfortably. The diner was pretty good too. What have you read?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

it was the not being able to sleep bit and trains being old that got me..
do you get woken up continuously thru the night?

also read that food was awful
Old Mar 7, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

this was what someone posted on fodor
if its not like this i would be v happy as i like the train,but i got a bit worried as with kids

The only ticket we purchased ahead was the sleeper train from Budapest to Venice. I purchased the tickets on raileurope. The price was the same as other websites I checked out. We wanted to be sure we had reservations for that night.

The rest of the train tickets we purchased along the way. I found that for the tickets we needed it was cheaper to purchase them as we went.

Last fall my sister, my niece and myself took the sleeper train from Budapest to Venice. This train was very, very old. What an experience. From around 9 or 10pm to around 2am it was a steady stream of customs and passport people - all wanting to see your face and your passports etc.

The toilet was horrible and scary. We walked through several coach cars - which was not a pleasant experience - to get to the dining car which was dirty and full of men smoking. Be sure to bring food with you and not think there is a dining car. We were able to buy a sandwich to go with fruit and snacks that we had.

Not sure what a day train would be like on this route. We wanted to fly Budapest to Venice but it was in October and a lot of European flights ended on Sept 28.

Just being in the Kleti train station in Budapest was an experience!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
this was what someone posted on fodor
if its not like this i would be v happy as i like the train,but i got a bit worried as with kids

The only ticket we purchased ahead was the sleeper train from Budapest to Venice. I purchased the tickets on raileurope. The price was the same as other websites I checked out. We wanted to be sure we had reservations for that night.

The rest of the train tickets we purchased along the way. I found that for the tickets we needed it was cheaper to purchase them as we went.

Last fall my sister, my niece and myself took the sleeper train from Budapest to Venice. This train was very, very old. What an experience. From around 9 or 10pm to around 2am it was a steady stream of customs and passport people - all wanting to see your face and your passports etc.

The toilet was horrible and scary. We walked through several coach cars - which was not a pleasant experience - to get to the dining car which was dirty and full of men smoking. Be sure to bring food with you and not think there is a dining car. We were able to buy a sandwich to go with fruit and snacks that we had.

Not sure what a day train would be like on this route. We wanted to fly Budapest to Venice but it was in October and a lot of European flights ended on Sept 28.

Just being in the Kleti train station in Budapest was an experience!
I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. I took the train in March, 2007. Have things really gotten that worse? The day train, by the way, was dropped a few years ago, as well as the day train between Ljbuljana and Venice.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

sorry these arent my experiences just what was on fodor-if its better than this i will be v happy!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:04 am

Is there a date on that review? It sounds old to me...shouldn't be customs ...
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Is there a date on that review? It sounds old to me...shouldn't be customs ...
Why not?

The train passes through Croatia - not EU nor Schengen - so that's two borders where customs controls might take place.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:20 pm

To the OP - you had concerns about food.

The restaurant car is Hungarian-operated: you can check out the restaurant car menu (with pictures ) for this train. Reasonably priced, but don't be surprised if the dish you want is "off".
Old Mar 24, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by railways
Why not?

The train passes through Croatia - not EU nor Schengen - so that's two borders where customs controls might take place.
Oh right, I was thinking of the train via Salzburg, but I guess that requires a change. (although it takes less time...also runs daily and I'm not sure the direct bud-vze train does)
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Oh right, I was thinking of the train via Salzburg, but I guess that requires a change. (although it takes less time...also runs daily and I'm not sure the direct bud-vze train does)
The Budapest - Venice direct sleeper train runs daily.

Via Salzburg? Well, yes, if you want the stress of changing trains at Salzburg at about 1-30am, with only 8 minutes connecting time, the journey time is 47 minutes shorter than on the direct train. But I guess that's not really important when you are talking about a 13 - 14 hour overnight journey.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:07 pm

I wonder if you might be interested in going back and reading a lot of your posts in this forum (not just in response to mine -- I noticed it long ago) and thinking of whether or not the tone is which you wish to be giving.

FWIW, my Deutsch is far from perfect, but I'm pretty sure that nicht täglich means "not daily." Perhaps DB is wrong, however.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 6:25 pm

And again, for what it's worth, if my primary concerns are 1) quality of the coach and 2) being repeatedly awaken for border crossings, the SZG option may be appealing. The train is likely more modern, and there will be no customs. Perhaps trekking across the platform one time for a few minutes at 1am is preferable to the threat of several interruptions during the night.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:06 pm

Oh dear. Please do feel free to not read my posts.

Personally, I "don't like the tone" of posts which are passed off as gospel truth, when they contain incorrect information - hopefully unintentionally.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

peopple are saying the one via vienna is better-i wonder which is best?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.