Wiki Posts
Search

AMS short term storage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
AMS short term storage

I have a longish layover next month (7 hours), and promised my mother that if we were on time, we could take the train into town and see a few things.

I don't want to necessarily schlep my carry on around town during this time. Is there a storage facility available at AMS that I could drop off for holding in the morning, and pickup before my 4pm connection onward?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
d'oh! having one of those mornings. Of course AMS has a web site!

http://www.schiphol.com/AtSchiphol/L...eftLuggage.htm
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And, to answer your question, the AMS left-luggage is very easy to use. It is signposted from the arrivals area, you go downstairs and there is a room full of lockers. You chose one, put in your credit card and it prints a slip of paper with your locker number and access code on it. Very convenient. There are also tables where you can open your luggage and rearrange stuff. We frequently have a day or two in Amsterdam during a longer trip, and we almost always use these lockers, quickly taking stuff out of our suitcases and combinining enough for a couple days into one smaller bag.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM
Good advice above.

Also, there are lockers airside in several locations around the terminal.
Just makes it that much easier to clear security when you come back.

Of course, check where your onward flight is departing from to make sure you can get back there. I actually make a point of dropping my bag in the locker closest to my onward flight so that I'm good to go when I get back.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 4:51 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Good advice above.

Also, there are lockers airside in several locations around the terminal.
Just makes it that much easier to clear security when you come back.

Of course, check where your onward flight is departing from to make sure you can get back there. I actually make a point of dropping my bag in the locker closest to my onward flight so that I'm good to go when I get back.
That doesn't work if you transfer Schengen -> non-Schengen.

The other way around you could do it: cross into the Schengen zone (that forces you through the more crowded passport control), go to the lockers, then head to the arrivals hall and into the city, then upon returning you're all set to collect your bag and get flying.

The alternative for both situations is to just leave your bag land side, as milepig has suggested. It might be faster, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.