Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at BUD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Connecting at BUD

Has anyone had recent experience connecting at BUD? I'm supposed to arrive at 12:05 on Malev from FRA (after arriving there from LAX/DFW), and connecting to Malev for SOF at 13:05. This doesn't sound like a lot of time. Any suggestions, tips, shortcuts, warnings or advice would be appreciated.

Also, if I do miss the connection and have to wait until nearly midnight for the next flight, is it easy/quick to get into town? Might as well enjoy the afternoon.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 25, 2009, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Europe/Hungary forum, and not AA?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
BUD is not a very large airport, and at least it is a MA to MA connection. (Having said that, I'd be slightly nervous about a one hour connection and processing transit formalities if there are any, and I have not connected at BUD, only originated flights there.)
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
At the quiet time, you'll find it possible to do a transit in 15-20 min at BUD (from arrival of the aircraft at the gate to arriving at the gate for your connecting flight), but I am not sure how you'd go in the middle of the day.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
Tactically, try to get a seat as far forward as possible, get your bags out of the overhead while you are waiting for that door to open, and escape as quickly as possible.

Before landing, study a map of the airport so you know it's general layout, and pay attention to the gate at which you arrive. If you are really lucky, sometimes they announce departure gates of connecting flights, but don't count on it.

Maybe ask the flight attendant if she/he has any connecting gate information (sometimes they do). If they don't have the information, sometimes they will tell you where in the airport the nearest sign is that gives it.

http://www.bud.hu/english/transport/airport_shuttle will get you downtown, and on that same site there are directions to use trains and/or busses. Find a bakery or a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant for a great gyro and a local beer, if the above doesn't save you enough minutes.

Romelle
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If the incoming is on time, no sweat at all. Transit should be doable in 20 mins.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 7:55 am

Programs: EBB
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If the incoming is on time, no sweat at all. Transit should be doable in 20 mins.
Consider ARN-BUD-SPU late september on Malev with a 35 min connection in BUD. (same ticket) So, I dont have to worry then? Whats the odds for our luggage to make it?

/jopo
Old Mar 31, 2009, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by jopo
Consider ARN-BUD-SPU late september on Malev with a 35 min connection in BUD. (same ticket) So, I dont have to worry then? Whats the odds for our luggage to make it?

/jopo
If they sell you the tix, it means you shouldn't worry - it's up to MA to deliver you there Really it's up to how on time your incoming is and there's no way of saying beforehand.

I wouldn't dare to make any comments on the luggage, as I travel 90% of the time with hand luggage only, so not much experience here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.