Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Meteora to Delphi

Meteora to Delphi

Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Meteora to Delphi

It looks like KTEL's website is reduced to advertising for its paid timetable service, so my attempts to gather routing and timetable information getting from Meteora to Delphi is getting annoyingly difficult.

It looks like my connection points are either Amfissa or Lamia, but I can't find any more information than that. Would anybody here know of timetable information from Kalambaka to Delphi, or know where such can be obtained?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:08 am

Getting bus schedule information in Greece is a real hassle. Outside of Athens, I just try to get a general idea of how frequent buses between city 'a' and city 'b' are from guidebooks, and then go to the bus station as soon as I arrive at city 'a' and ask about schedules to city 'b'. Unsatisfactory, but I've never been able to figure out anything better.

In Athens you can usually get reliable information on buses in Attica and long distance buses between Athens and other major cities and tourist centers from the official tourist information office.

I've found that the Rough Guides usually have reliable information about how frequent buses are and how long the trip takes, but they don't give actual schedules.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I'm running on a Lonely Planet book, so I know approximately how long the trip will take... it's more a matter of approximately how much time it would actually take in transit after adjusting for bus connections, as well as knowing when approximately we have to leave Kalambaka, or even whether it is necessary to overnight somewhere enroute.

Of course, knowing Greece, my timetabling activities will be an estimate at best anyway. Thanks for confirming what I suspected (that Greek bus schedules are not easy to find).
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can drive, I'd look into hiring a car instead.
KTEL is the typical privately-owned monopoly: 28" seat pitch, slow, poor service, and quite expensive to boot...
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by graraps
If you can drive, I'd look into hiring a car instead.
KTEL is the typical privately-owned monopoly: 28" seat pitch, slow, poor service, and quite expensive to boot...
I suppose driving is an option... I will assume car rentals for start in Thessaloniki to drop in Athens is not a problem? Alternatively, taxi hire? I'm not big on driving, but it's a final resort if necessary.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lavalyn
I suppose driving is an option... I will assume car rentals for start in Thessaloniki to drop in Athens is not a problem?
Not a problem at all, though there may be a small surcharge.
I recommend Sixt; always competitive rates (though some local companies may be able to marginally beat them), coupled with stellar service. Plus you should be able to get some miles for your rental!

Intercity driving in Greece is actually quite good nowadays; most major road construction projects have been completed, and there's hardly any traffic apart from the three-week-long summer peak and a couple of long weekends per year. Definitely recommended over (and, if you're 2 people or more, likely to also be cheaper than) KTEL.
Taxi hire is going to be a bit pricey, but it can be done. I reckon Meteora-Delphi is around a couple of hundred km...You should be able to agree a deal for around EUR150, but I'd still go for self-drive...

BTW, if you want any tips on SKG, I am confident that I can do better than Lonely Planet when it comes to my hometown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.