Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Solo Trip to Europe: Questions and Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Berto
This year, for spring break(March 9-16) I have decided to head over to Europe. It will be my second time overseas, and since I could not convince any friends to go along with me, I shall be roaming alone. My itinerary is that of Zurich-Berlin-Amsterdam, where I have already booked my flights and night trains between those cities. Since it is my first solo trip overseas, I've got a few questions and ideas I would like to bounce off of everyone here.

Switzerland:
I arrive in Zurich early in the morning. I mainly decided to fly into here as a cost saving measure, in addition to wanting to see some of Switzerland. Like everywhere else on my trip I will only be spending two days in country. While its not a lot of time to take in the country as a whole, I am looking for some ideas of what exactly to do. I am already planning on going to Lictenstein for part of one day, and possibly Bern on the second day. At this point I am thinking about returning to Zurich both nights (my train departs to Berlin from there the second night) and get a hotel there. However, I have also given thought to maybe doing a circular route by train that would take me to Lichtenstein then to somewhere along the line that goes through the alps, where I would then spend that night, heading to Bern and back to Zurich the next day. The only thing is that I haven’t got a clue where to stop for a night in this possible route, especially I would need to find hotel priced on the cheap side. Of course I am also open to other ideas that anyone may think would be a good way to spend 2 days in Switzerland.

Germany:
I have for the most part figured out what I am going to be taking in while in Berlin, but feel free make any suggestions or any knowledge that may help me while wondering about.

Netherlands:
Amsterdam shall be my base and I get in late in the morning from Berlin. I have already thought up some of the places I want to visit here, but I am also curious if there are any nearby destinations that would be of interest that would require a short train ride. The downside is that I am still looking for lodging in this city. I don’t want to spend more than $100 a night (I am staying two nights here). I should note that I am not really looking to stay in hostels on this trip. Nothing really against them, just would prefer my own room.

And now for some more general questions:
1. What is the weather going to be like mid march in these locales
2. I know that Switzerland is not in the Schengen area yet, so there will be border formalities on the night train to Berlin. What will this exactly entail? Just some German border agents getting on the train and checking passports?
3. On the subject of trains, both of my night trains were purchased through Deutsche Bahn for the CityNightLine service. Does DB require validation of tickets like TrenItalia does?
4. I will need to leave luggage in trains stations throughout the trip, since I probably will not have my hiking backpack with me. Ive read that at Berlin HB there are facilities for this but what about Zurich HB and Amsterdam Centraal?
5. Any other suggestions or ideas?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA
This year, for spring break(March 9-16) I have decided to head over to Europe. It will be my second time overseas, and since I could not convince any friends to go along with me, I shall be roaming alone. My itinerary is that of Zurich-Berlin-Amsterdam, where I have already booked my flights and night trains between those cities. Since it is my first solo trip overseas, I've got a few questions and ideas I would like to bounce off of everyone here.

Switzerland:
I arrive in Zurich early in the morning. I mainly decided to fly into here as a cost saving measure, in addition to wanting to see some of Switzerland. Like everywhere else on my trip I will only be spending two days in country. While its not a lot of time to take in the country as a whole, I am looking for some ideas of what exactly to do. I am already planning on going to Lictenstein for part of one day, and possibly Bern on the second day. At this point I am thinking about returning to Zurich both nights (my train departs to Berlin from there the second night) and get a hotel there. However, I have also given thought to maybe doing a circular route by train that would take me to Lichtenstein then to somewhere along the line that goes through the alps, where I would then spend that night, heading to Bern and back to Zurich the next day. The only thing is that I haven’t got a clue where to stop for a night in this possible route, especially I would need to find hotel priced on the cheap side. Of course I am also open to other ideas that anyone may think would be a good way to spend 2 days in Switzerland.

Germany:
I have for the most part figured out what I am going to be taking in while in Berlin, but feel free make any suggestions or any knowledge that may help me while wondering about.

Netherlands:
Amsterdam shall be my base and I get in late in the morning from Berlin. I have already thought up some of the places I want to visit here, but I am also curious if there are any nearby destinations that would be of interest that would require a short train ride. The downside is that I am still looking for lodging in this city. I don’t want to spend more than $100 a night (I am staying two nights here). I should note that I am not really looking to stay in hostels on this trip. Nothing really against them, just would prefer my own room.

And now for some more general questions:
1. What is the weather going to be like mid march in these locales
2. I know that Switzerland is not in the Schengen area yet, so there will be border formalities on the night train to Berlin. What will this exactly entail? Just some German border agents getting on the train and checking passports?
3. On the subject of trains, both of my night trains were purchased through Deutsche Bahn for the CityNightLine service. Does DB require validation of tickets like TrenItalia does?
4. I will need to leave luggage in trains stations throughout the trip, since I probably will not have my hiking backpack with me. Ive read that at Berlin HB there are facilities for this but what about Zurich HB and Amsterdam Centraal?
5. Any other suggestions or ideas?

With regarding to AMS hotels. The place where i tell folks to go is
The RHo Hotel. Its a very decent place to stay for the money.
Breakfast is also included. Its located centrally on the DAM
SQUARE right off of Damstraat & Damrak. All rooms comes with their
own private toilet & showers which states a must in your itinerary.
Also all your main TRAMS especially the "Nieuw Sloten" tram which takes
you to the Museum Quarter (Rijks, Van Gogh, etc.) are located right
by your hotel in the DAM SQUARE.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Unfortunately, I have not had much time to plan out the rest of the trip, thanks to the piles of work I've got to get done for my classes (plus the three exams next week). I have played around with a few ideas in my head however, and I guess I can say im leaning towards spending some time in Interlaken. I am thinking of spending the night there and then spending until about 1pm there before making my way back to Zurich via a stop in Bern. So here is what I have to figure out: what would I exactly do in the Interlaken region for the better part of the day? Theres the Jungfraujoch, which would seem incredibly interesting, but looks like it would cost a little much for me on this trip for the roundtrip ride, even if I were to get the swiss pass with the 25% discount. So what would you recommend for a morning siteseeing trip where I could potentially use a swiss pass from or that it would be rather in expensive? Looking online and in a book I see several possibilities: Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren, or really anything in that area.

Also, I am strongly considering getting the Swiss Pass, especially since the 4 day youth is only $153 (even though I only need 2 days). When I calculate all the different prices of train legs this would appear to save me money. However, I have never used a rail pass before, so any suggestions, thoughts or tips on this would be extremely helpful.

Originally Posted by ORD & LAS
This hotel had actually been one of the first I had looked at. It seemed to stand out thanks to its location, which is seems to be prime. However, it seems that it may be out of what I am able/willing to pay per night. However, thanks for the suggestion.

Speaking of Amsterdam hotels, does anyone have any experience with the De Oranje Tulp on Damrak? Prices are a bit better, and close in price to the Van Onna Hotel that was recommended.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ORD & LAS
Check out the Maes House:

http://www.bedandbreakfastamsterdam.com/

a single room begins at EU85, which is just within your budget (or almost, in any case). Nice place, centrally located, nice owners.

There is a left luggage at Centraal Station, but unless you have tons of luggage, AMS is a pretty easy city to get around in and I'd just take it to the hotel with me.

The trams are great, but frankly Amsterdam is small enough that you can simply walk almost anywhere you want to go.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I drove to Lichtenstein so I could add it to my country list. I wouldn't go out of my way to get there. I thought it was where that cute castle was but I was really confused.

In Bern, there is a fantastic chocolate store, Tschisron on one of the covered streets in the old town. The glace is wonderful. I drove four hours from Lake Como to go back there.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Alaska MVP, Hilton GoldMarriott Titanium
Sorry, if I have not been following up on my own thread, but I have been relatively busy lately.

I finally decided where I was going to stay in Switzerland for that night, and it will be at the Hotel Rugenpark in Interlaken that was recommended here and just about everywhere else. Got a pretty good rate too...only 52CHF. Right now I am still thinking about swinging by Lictenstein before heading to Interlaken, and then planning to spend the bulk of my second day in Interlaken before heading back to Zurich to catch my train to Berlin that night.

Because of all this, I have been really looking into getting a Swiss Pass as the 4-Day youth is cheaper than my projected 2 days worth of train journeys, but there are still some things hoepfully someone here can clarify. Looking at the synopyptic map from the swiss travel system, it appears there is extensive free pass travel throughout the Lauterbrunnen valley. The only thing I have been wondering is that the SBB site can only offer pricing information only so far into the valley, so I am not really sure how I can compare prices. Also, it says that the Jungfrau train only gets a 25% discount, but I thought I read that Swiss Passes get a 50%. Can someone clarify this? Also, since Jungfrau seems rather expensive no matter how you slice it, the ride to the top of Schilthorn is much cheaper with a pass; has anyone been to this summit and can comment on it?

And one more question about those rail passes. I know you can get them through RailEurope.com, but is there any advantage for getting it through them price wise, or would I be able to get the same price at a station in Switzerland (if thats even possible) or elsewhere?

I have not had the time to sit down and look through all the Amsterdam hotel information, but maybe with some of the money I saved in Switzerland on a hotel I can budget more for Amsterdam...
Old Feb 20, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
I have not been to the top of Jungfraujoch, but the area right before that is still plenty pretty.

Here are my pics from the Interlaken/Grindelwald area. If you back up a page in my albums there are photos from other cities you're interested in, too (Zurich, Bern, Berlin, etc).
Old Feb 20, 2008, 7:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On tripadvisor it appears to get nothing but good feedback and ratings. If I decide to visit interlaken I will definitley be looking into this, as it appears to have very decent prices! I do want to ask however, if you had booked in advance or just walked in?
I booked in advance. They even gave me a take-away breakfast when I had to catch an early train after my last night there. Bathrooms are a little on the small side, but I slept fine.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 1:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
The Weather Channel www.weather.com is great for getting historical averages, plus actual forecasts as you get closer to your trip.

Romelle
Old Feb 22, 2008, 2:05 am

Programs: Enough to travel better
[QUOTE=Berto;9226555]Thanks for the suggestions so far, I sure do have a lot of information to read!

In regards to the hotel you stayed at, would you happen to remember the name or the area it was in? I would think a hostel would even be better than some "hotel" attic. Museumboat sounds like a good idea, especially if it helps combine two activities into one. Also, as a general question to anyone, what would be some areas of Amsterdam not to get a hotel in (if any)?

Hi Berto,
Sorry to reply to a really earlier post. I don't recall that hotel's name that I stayed in AMS however, it was along Leidsekade, which leads into Leidseplein in AMS. Leiseplein is a great hangout spot for many locals and tourists and happens to be one of the entertainment centers of the city. It's just that the hotel I stayed in was quite small. I don't see the hotel listed on the web.

You would think twice about staying at a hotel next to the Red Light District. The crime rate in this area was noticable in the last two years so be careful. Enjoy AMS, otherwise. That city is like my second home.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
[QUOTE=tonywestsider;9294126]
You would think twice about staying at a hotel next to the Red Light District. The crime rate in this area was noticable in the last two years so be careful. Enjoy AMS, otherwise. That city is like my second home.
Most of the hotels in the inner city are close to the red light district. However, I never felt uncomforable there.

By the way: Liechtenstein, not Lichtenstein, Lictenstein or L'stein...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:08 am
Suspended

hiya !! if u can u should miss the latin countries of europe: barcelona , madrid , Paris ( don t miss paris ) , check out the low cost flight within Europe like ryanair , germanwings , vueling , clickair, easyjet ... hav fun :-D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.