Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Chocolate in Belgium?!

Chocolate in Belgium?!

Old Jan 31, 08, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Chocolate in Belgium?!

There is a thread on the Germany Board about good "House made" chocolate places in Munich. We're going to be in Belgium (Brugge) soon and was wondering about recommendations for house made chocolate in Belgium (especially around Brugge).
Thanks,
Greg
Old Jan 31, 08, 10:35 am
mee

In my recent travels through Belgium it felt like every 2nd shop was a chocolatier. But this doesn't mean they are any good. I found the choc shops in Brugge to be very touristy and not too good.

The 2 best in Belgium (according to several sources I asked) are both in Brussels -- Wittamer and Marcolini

-- Mike
Old Jan 31, 08, 10:44 am

Programs: DL DM
Make a point of asking locals while you're there, ideally outside of heavily touristed areas. An easy way to do this is to ask at the same time that you're asking for directions, and your target demographic is the same: a middle-aged or older woman who looks like she lives there. You can tell that she lives there because she's alone, and either walking a dog or carrying shopping. Just about everybody I met in Belgium had an opinion about the best chocolate shop, and it was always right in the neighborhood.
Old Jan 31, 08, 1:51 pm

I started the Munich chocolate shop thread. I've been to Belgium and Brugge a few times in the last couple of years.

In Brugge, my favorites are The Chocolate Line (try their dark chocolate ganache horse head plus whatever of their flavored specialties you fancy) and Dumon at Eiermarkt 6, near the market square. Every day that I'm in Brugge, I get a little bag with a few pieces to eat while I walk around the town, then load up when I'm leaving to go home.

In Brussels, I like Pierre Marcolini, especially the "World" sampler box made with chocolate from different countries. As far as the shops that are "chains", I like the smaller chain, Galler (has a Brugge shop, also).

My friends in Switzerland are a little miffed when I tell them that I like Belgian better than Swiss. I have been known to make a chocolate run to Belgium. In fact, thinking of one in March or April.
Old Feb 4, 08, 7:59 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Chocolate in Brussels airport?

I'll be transiting through Brussels on AA en route to Norway in a couple of weeks. What's the best chocolate to buy in the duty-free there? Any chance of finding Marcolini or any other worthwhile artisinal chocolate?
Old Feb 4, 08, 8:01 am
Original Member

In Brugge, second the recommendation for Dumon. Simply the best.
Old Feb 9, 08, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I like the Chocolate Line.
I would stay away from the more touristy stores such as Leonidas and Roose. Look for the smaller stores off the beaten path.
Old Feb 10, 08, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mee View Post
In my recent travels through Belgium it felt like every 2nd shop was a chocolatier. But this doesn't mean they are any good. I found the choc shops in Brugge to be very touristy and not too good.

The 2 best in Belgium (according to several sources I asked) are both in Brussels -- Wittamer and Marcolini

-- Mike
I agree. My 2 faves. The "small shop" stuff I bought wasn't bad, but most wasn't great. Pierre Marcolini has the best candied orange peel anywhere. Wittamer has a great selection of various filled items, and the fresh creams are dreamy.
Old Feb 11, 08, 1:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, BA Silver, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
I'll be transiting through Brussels on AA en route to Norway in a couple of weeks. What's the best chocolate to buy in the duty-free there? Any chance of finding Marcolini or any other worthwhile artisinal chocolate?
I've never seen Marcolini in the duty free there. They used to have Wittamer but I've not seen it there for a while. From what I remember they had Godiva and Neuhaus last time I went through.
Old Feb 11, 08, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I am originally from Bruges, and I would stay away from Dumon.
On those few occassions I went there, their merchandise was subpar.
I would really go to either the Chocolate Line or Van Oost.
Old Feb 12, 08, 1:23 pm

Programs: NW plat
I love Sweerharger (probably spelled wrong) and Van Oost.
Old Feb 18, 08, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
My husband brought me chocolates from both Switzerland and Brussels (three different stores). I may have pedestrian tastes, but I enjoyed Leonidas most of all!

Last edited by mary_228; Feb 18, 08 at 2:16 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 18, 08, 1:33 pm

Programs: skymiles,
Having grown up in Brussels, I have a fondness for Leonidas. While not artisinal chocolates - they are excellent. I even served Leonidas chocolates at my wedding 13 years ago I love them so much.
Old Feb 19, 08, 3:11 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
If you transitting in terminal A, there are not so much stores than at terminal B (schengen). But you will have a lot of choices from Neuhaus, Godiva, ....
Old Feb 25, 08, 7:25 pm

If you like ch with soft fillings this is the place for you. Otherwise for solid ch way over rated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: