Wiki Posts
Search

Senior Trip to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Senior Trip to Europe

Hey everyone,

My friend and I are taking a trip to Europe after we graduate in June. The flights are booked LAX-LHR roundtrip on AA, leaving on June 19th and returning on July 10th. We're going to fly to Rome immediately upon arrival at LHR via British Airways and work our way back up to London.

Here are the cities we are planning on hitting:

Rome (3 days)
Florence (2 days)
Nice (2 days)
Barcelona-My friend wants to go there and so do I, but it looks as if we'd lose two days travelling just to get there and back to where we need to go. Any suggestions for that one
Paris-(2 days)
London-(4 days)
Relatives outside London (2 days)

Does it seem like we're trying to squeeze too many cities in there?

We're going to be buying a Eurail Pass, probably the full adult one so we can go first class on the traisn as we'll be on them a lot. Plus it's only a 100 dollar difference between the Adult and Youth rates.

We thought about going the hostel route, but we're gonna spend the extra moeny and stay at hotels, not nice ones, but decent enough. Any reccomendations for cheap hotels in the center of the city in any of those cities? Also, when should be begin booking the hotels and all that stuff?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If it helps, I did 11 cities in 3 weeks.

Definitely get the Adult EurailPass to sit in 1st cl... best $100 you'll spend.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:32 am

Programs: UA*G, SK-EBB, DL-G, IB-Silver Marriott Gold , HHonors Gold, SHG Gold
One-way fares on both LCC and mainline carriers are not unusual to and from Spain. Have to watch the baggage allowance though on some LCCs as it is only 15kg instead of normal 20kg (50lb). You could gain a day or two that way maybe. The fares can be extremely low if planning well in advance.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:37 am

I did similar itineraries in my backpacking days, so yes, it can be done. Two or three days isn't enough to get to know these places well, but it's certainly enough to get a taste and to decide whether or not you want to come back for more.

I agree with spending extra to travel first class - especially in the summer when second class can often be packed (sometimes with standing room only).

As for getting to Barcelona... if you don't mind sleeping on the train you could travel there and back overnight. I couldn't find any overnight trains to Barcelona from Nice, but you could get there easily enough from Paris - there is a through train departing at 2032, arrives at 0824 (that's the current timetable, the summer timetable may be different)
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:39 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
When looking at Railpasses, be sure to also look at the saver pass. It isn't massively cheaper, but it does provide a discount for 2 or more people traveling together.

You might also want to look into purchasing your railpass before the end of this year. IIRC, they often have end of year specials (discount prices, free days). Since the pass needs to be validated 6 months from the time of purchase, you should be ok purchasing in Dec 06 for travel starting in mid June 07.

In terms of itinerary, I think you're fine if you're looking to just get an overview of the different cities. Personally I'd spend only one night in Nice to give an additional night in Paris or Barcelona, but that's just my opinion.

Finally, you might want to look at flying from Paris back to London. Since the Eurail pass doesn't cover the Eurostar (though it does give a discount), you might find that a cheap flight can be less expensive than the eurail discount on the train.

Hope that helps
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:40 pm
In memoriam

I agree with one night in Nice. Was just there last week. After seeing the flower market and walking on the beach boardwalk, that's about it. It would be worth renting a car for a day to go up to Eze or into the mountains for the wonderful views. Be sure to arrange for the rental from the US as walkin rates in France are way over the top. Cannes, or even better St Tropez, are nicer. Although Nice is pleasant.

In Nice, I would also suggest lunch at the Hotel Negresco. It is a relative bargain for a superb French restauarant at 55 Euros wine and coffee included. And the decor ...! Don't even think about dinner unless you are really loaded.

By the way, reserve for lunch and your hotel right away. Nice in July is truly jammed. You will be sorry if you wait. There are lots of Hotels in Nice, but, in season, they are often all full. No fun walking around Nice all night.

Also think about train reservations. You will need them for the TGV French express trains and the Eurostar trains even with a pass. They cost a few bucks, but, if you don't have one when you want to go you won't be going. The trains fill-up in the Summer, although having a First Class pass helps as First Class is often not as full.

Finally, I would think about skipping Spain and spending more time in Paris. Two days for Paris is just not enough, especially if it's your first time.

Last edited by biggestbopper; Dec 24, 2006 at 8:35 am
Old Dec 23, 2006, 7:18 pm

On an earlier thread on the topic of "the most overrated city" I selected Nice. So it won't surprise you that I'd just skip it if I were you.

Instead why not spend a little more time in Paris and/or get a discount air ticket to BCN and see the Spanish part of the Mediterranean coast. The nighttrain is possible, but I've never gotten a decent night's sleep on one, so the having the next day a blur makes it a false economy for me.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Here's the itinerary I've mapped out for us. This is assuming we take the train all the way back to London. I need to get in touch with my friend and ask if he'd prefer to fly (airfare for Nice-BCN, BCN-CDG came to 230.00 on air france. Either way works for me. I'm hoping we can have the hotels booked by the end of January. My friend has family in Barcelona we might be able to stay with so that would be nice. I've heard good things and bad things about Nice, but I think it'll be worth a stop along the way, if not just to relax and get away from the touristy stuff.

Itinerary:

June 19th-AIRPLANE
June 20th-ROME (Arrive at 5 PM)
June 21st-ROME-whole day in Rome
June 22nd-ROME-whole day in Rome
June 23rd-FLORENCE-spend half day in Rome, take train to Florence
June 24th-FLORENCE-all day
June 25th-NICE-early train to nice
June 26th-NICE-all day in nice
June 27th-TRAIN TO BARCELONA-day in nice, take train at night
June 28th-BARCELONA-all day in barcelona
June 29th-BARCELONA-all day
June 30th-TRAIN TO PARIS-day in barcelona, train at night
July 1st-PARIS-all day
July 2nd-PARIS-all day
July 3rd-PARIS-all day
July 4th-LONDON-chunnel, half day in london
July 5th-LONDON-all day
July 6th-LONDON-all day
July 7th-LONDON-all day
July 8th-RELATIVES-take train to relatives 2 hours outside of london
July 9th-RELATIVES-day w/ relatives
July 10th-train back to Heathrow, 3 pm flight back to LA

FLIGHTS:

June 19th
American Airlines LAX-ORD Flight 1012
American Airlines ORD-LHR Flight 66

June 20th
British Airways LHR-FCO (Rome)

July 10th
American Airlines LHR-LAX Flight 135

TRAINS:
Rome to Florence: 1 hr 30 mins
Florence to Nice: 8 hrs
Nice to Barcelona: 12 hrs (night train)
Barcelona to Paris: 12 hrs (night train)
Paris to London: 2 hrs 30 mins (booked separately Chunnel)-150 dollars

Need: Eurail SelectPass Saver, first class train travel for 6 days: 360 dollars

Does this seem like a reasonable itinerary that could be done?
Old Dec 24, 2006, 8:16 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
Looks good. Again I'd spend less time in Nice, but I've already mentioned that so I don't want to harp on it

One other option to consider - what about going from Nice to Paris, then down to Barcelona, then flying back to London? Just another option to possibly consider. The reason I mention it is that the first class Eurostar seems extremely expensive.

I did a quick search, and BCN-LGW flights on BA for the day you want are $40US all in (plus about $15 US for the Gatwick Express to get into town). It's an evening flight, so the time may not be ideal for you, but it might be worth considering.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Now that I'm looking at it we are spending a little too much time in Nice. Is there somewhere we should stop along the way or spend more time in a certain city? Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:56 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by nschuchert
Now that I'm looking at it we are spending a little too much time in Nice. Is there somewhere we should stop along the way or spend more time in a certain city? Thanks for all the advice everyone.
You think that 2 days in NCE is too much
Nice and the surrounding areas + food is well worth 2 days. Your itinerary looks just fine to me.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL CO UA
I must agree with the other posters, skip Nice altogether and add that day to Rome, Paris, or Barcelona.
You'll probably need at least a half day just waiting in line to get to the top of the Eiffel Tower. :-)
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:09 pm
In memoriam

One other thing, keep in mind that the night trains in Southern Europe are notorious for baggage theft. Many different ways this can be done while you are asleep. The conductor usually locks the outer door to the compartment, but pass keys abound. Folks love to take the night trains to save on hotels, but, it may not be worth it.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
this may or may not help you, but I was booking a similar trip with a friend, and found a fare with Air France that allowed a complicated open jaw / stopover combination.

So we were able to book Toronto - Paris - London / Rome - Lyon - Barcelona - Paris - Toronto for like C$1,200. I assume that a similar fare would be much cheaper from the US. This would probably be a good solution to get from Barcelona back up to Paris without having to pay for an extra ticket plus (and this is what did it for us) you will get the full 2 piece US baggage allowance

You could probably try something like LA - London - Rome / Barcelona - London - LA.

Cheers
Old Dec 28, 2006, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I like your itinerary, although I would suggest maybe moving a day or half day from London to Paris? (Sorry, I just love Paris .) Also, have you considered staying in London a day or two at the beginning rather than trying to get to another flight that same day? I always find that I am very foggy feeling on my first day even if I can sleep on the plane. Could you possibly give yourself a day to do some easy sightseeing and get a good night's sleep, particularly because you are coming from the west coast? I always seem to appreciate the the language and cultural transitions more when I can think straight! Regardless, have a great trip, it sounds like a blast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.