Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Single Country Railway Passes in Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Question Single Country Railway Passes in Italy

Hi Guys. I was wondering if someone could give me some details about railway passes through Italy. I was looking to order the single country passes through the Rail Europe website, but I have some questions. Does anyone know if there are some restrictions as to where you can travel? I mean, are these passes comparable to buying railway tickets from the station? If not, then do the passes come with certain trains and schedules you are only allowed to take. Does age matter? I'm 24 and a U.S. citizen, and my friend is 28 and a finnish citizen. The website is a bit vague in my opinion, so if someone has personal experience with any sort of railway pass, then feel free to share your experience or pass along any helpful details! We plan to travel from Milan-Venice....Venice-Rome....Rome-Naples...Naples-Milan.

Thanks
Old May 24, 2005, 6:27 am

I usually buy my railpasses at www.railchoice.co.uk. Their web site generally explains things quite well, so even if you can't/don't want to buy from a UK company you may find their site useful.
Old May 24, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
A rail pass will certainly give you better value if you intend to travel a lot. Your itinerary seems to me, although only 4 trips, worthwhile investing in one over individual point-to-point or return rail tickets due to the fact that some of your journeys are quite lengthy. These rail passes are good for all trains and no restrictions apply regarding where you can travel or on what trains. So go wherever you please. You don't need seat reservations (compulsory on some trains in other countries) on the majority of Italian trains except the high-speed Eurostar Italia services. These trains offer more comfort for longer-distance trips within Italy.
I've travelled on a EuroDomino pass myself and found that to be exceptionally good value in Germany where seat reservation charges do not apply (on the IntercityExpress) But they only cost about 3 on the trains that do require them. Rail passes for those aged under 26 are always cheaper than normal adult passes. My ED pass had a condition that you must have been resident in a European country for at least 6 months prior to purchasing your pass. Of course, there are other passes with different/ or no residency restrictions.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:37 am

Railchoice mentions two rail passes for Italy, Eurodomino and Trenitalia. Both come in adult and youth (under 26) versions.
Old May 24, 2005, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Unless things have changed, IIRC the passes purchased through RailEurope.com can't be used by citizens of the EU so it may do your Finnish friend no good. For such a relatively simple itinerary you may be better off with the point to point tickets. The passes can be a hassle sometimes with having to show passports and having the dates filled in correctly, etc. Also the ticket prices at the station are lower than the fares on those websites. It may still be cheaper for you with the pass however. Have fun!!
Old May 25, 2005, 5:57 am

Programs: UA
When are you coming? It would certainly be cheaper to use the 15 E offer and their trenok discount trains if you plan to travel between big cities.
Old May 25, 2005, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Cool

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the info regarding the rail passes through Italy! You've all been very helpful.

I'll be traveling from June 30-July 11. What is the 15 E offer? Please give details? I've checked the Trenitalia website and it seems that the point to point ticket prices altogether are cheaper than the passes....if the prices quoted are correct. I'm also looking for a good beach location for a day or so that's not too overcrowded with tourists if at all possible in July. Any suggestions??? I really want to go to Capri, but I've read in numerous books that it is overpriced and definitelt crowded during the summer months.

Originally Posted by frankytalia
When are you coming? It would certainly be cheaper to use the 15 E offer and their trenok discount trains if you plan to travel between big cities.
Old May 27, 2005, 5:12 am

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
See this and this

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.