Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Workaholic desperately needing a vacation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Workaholic desperately needing a vacation.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Question Workaholic desperately needing a vacation.

Hello all..

This is my first post on FlyerTalk, so please excuse the newbieness of this post.

I've not taken a real vacation in several years, and I wanted to treat myself to a real vacation this year.

As a female traveling alone to Europe for the first time on a budget, what would be the best place to visit? I know the dollar is not performing well against the euro, and I'm not really drawn to the major cities like Paris or Rome. I was considering a trip centering around Prague, but I've been told that I should have booked my tickets for travel back in early February.

Is it conceivable to travel to Europe under $1500, or should I just wait until next year? Also, if it is not possible, what locations have been the best value for a relatively stress-free, invigorating vacation?

Thank you.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:44 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Welcone to FT!

A few more details might help:

Where are you based: this will determine whther there are any special airfares available and people can suggest routings. I'm assuming you're in the US??? (local airports??)

When do you want to go: In Spring you might get to Europe for $300-400, but in the summer probably $800 at best.

How long for, and is that $1500 plus air fare or $1500 all in? I'd say $100 a day is the low end in Eastern Europe unless you go for hostels.

You aren't too late though, as long as you're flexible on dates (midweek travel, avoiding school holidays). There are plenty of seats for sale!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:24 am
Original Poster

I am based out of Washington DC... I have access to Dulles, Reagan and BWI.

I would love to travel anytime between March - May.

The length of time I can stay depends on the deals I can get. My budget right now is $1500 total.
Is it really safe to stay in hostels when you are traveling alone though?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:58 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
You might try Travelocity's Dream Maps for some ideas: http://dps1.travelocity.com/dreamMap...ce=TRAVELOCITY

(this will give the lowest fares in the next 12 months, but choose a destination and try out a few fares to get one valid for the right period)

The other way to go is to fly direct into a big city (London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt should be cheap, maybe <$300) and then take an LCC onwards. www.skyscanner.net has a great map for this. Bear in mind that they often use secondary airports so you might have to overnight at the hub.

Europe isn't particularly warm, but not too cold, in March-May. That won't have much impact on a trip in the Prague area (I haven't been though). If you want some heat the options would be late-April/May in Greece (Athens + island-hopping would make a good trip) or the south of Spain (nice backcountry and small cities ^ ). Both are countries, but at the cheaper end and hotels will be below capacity during spring.

Is it really safe to stay in hostels when you are traveling alone though?
It wasn't a recommendation - I imagine safety would be an issue but have no personal experience.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:23 am

Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you are seriously considering Prague, I would suggest you also consider incorporating Budapest as part of your trip. It is not too far by train. The spas in Budapest are wonderful and are quite a bargain. I think if you stick to eastern europe you'll find prices tend to be lower than in western europe.

Another very relaxing destination that isn't quite big city would be Baden-Baden, Germany. It's a gorgeous little town, about a half hour by train from Strasbourg, France. Within Baden-Baden are several world-class spas that are quite inexpensive; not as inexpensive as in Budapest, but still cheap by US standards.

You might want to take a look-see at www.go-today.com They have many different deals to europe. Some include air and hotel, some just hotel. I used them in the past and got a great deal air/hotel to the french riviera. You may find something attractive within your budget.

Hope you have a relaxing vacation.

Last edited by hhonorman; Feb 14, 2005 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 14, 2005, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the tips.. I checked out the go-today.com site, and there are some wonderful deals. I may book one of the trips to Prague and get some more information about the train system to travel to Budapest. It would be one amazing trip.

Have you heard of anything or any hotel/area of which I should be wary?
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
We were in Budapest and Prague in October and loved them both- no warnings that I can think of, except to watch your cash and valuables as you would in any big city. That would be more of a concern in Prague just because we found it more crowded. We've taken public transportation in both cities and it was fine, and also enjoyed the train between the two. If you're into counting the countries you've been to, you get to count another one you pass through- Slovakia!
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:45 pm

Programs: AC-P
Prague is a great city- the subway is easy and fast and there is tons to do there. I visited with my boyfriend and two friends last May and it was tons of fun. I have the name of the hotel/hostel where we stayed, but not handy- I will post it and the price tomorrow.

Most rooms in hostels are a minimum of two people, unless you want to pay for two people and only use one bed. I think most places, that would still be cheaper than a hotel. All the hostels we stayed at were very safe, with proper locking doors.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:37 am

Neither Prague nor Budapest is particularly dangerous; just use common sense like you would in any city. Watch out for pickpockets and scam artists. In Prague especially, don't change money at anyplace other than a bank or official money exchange office. A very popular scam is for a local to come up to you and offer to exchange money for a very favorable rate, but don't do it, it's a scam. Other than that, just keep a good eye on your bags and your pockets on crowded trams or buses and you should be fine.

If you are considering a trip to Budapest by train, you don't need to get a rail pass. It will most likely be less expensive just to buy a ticket once you're there.

Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, is a very nice place to see. You can see most of the highlights in a day. The center of the city is a short walk from the train station. You can check your bags at the luggage room at the train station for just a few buck for the day. Your money will go quite far in Slovakia. You may want to splurge and have a nice meal at a fancy restaurant. We ate dinner at a french restaurant near the palace, had two waiters serving us, violins, a fantastic gourmet meal with an ungodly amount of wine (heck, I wasn't driving), and the total bill for the two of us (not each) was about $25 if I recall correctly.

Last edited by hhonorman; Feb 15, 2005 at 9:44 am
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhonorman
Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia, is a very nice place to see. You can see most of the highlights in a day.
When I hear Bratislava, I picture the desolate city in EuroTrip. I really hope I can find something.. Unfortunately, my travel will have to be sometime after March 16th, so I may miss out on some of the better packages being offered right now.

At least I ordered my Lonely Planet guides today, so I won't have to pester you with new traveler questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.