Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Italy-Clueless what to do

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Going to Italy-Clueless what to do

Hooked up on a cheap USAir promo from SEA to FCO($242 all in)
Departing SEA on 3/18 10pm Arriving FCO 3/19 at 8:30a
Departing FCO on 3/25 at 11a

Have no idea what to do, where to stay. Guess it's about time to plan something.
Am traveling by myself, would prefer not to mortage the house for lodging-thinking no more than perhaps 75EUR\night and even that seems a bit much(have lots of FFN from Hyatt-it's a shame the only property they have is in Milan) also quite a few Priority Club and Raddison points. Notice that the Sheraton Roma has a 135E rate which might be good for my last night, since they also have airport shuttle.

Speaking of airports-what time should I arrive for my departing flight? Is 2 hours about right? Since I'll be flying US, is there a weight limit to my carry on bag. I may be doing this trip in coach. I have 60K miles pulled for the upgrade but am not sure that's going to clear-anyone know of a way to check, other than bugging US everyday. The Transcon has cleared but not the transatlantic

I'm thinking Rome for the first 2 days, then see some of the rest of the country, would really like to get to Sicily,Venice,

A friend has suggested
D1 Rome
D2Florence, Sienna,
D3Cortona, fly to Sicily
D4 Rome
D5 Ancient Rome

Am open to all suggestions(well almost all) in helping me plan this.

Thanks
\\//\\//
Old Feb 9, 2005, 6:19 am

Just my humble opinion, but I think you're planning too much for the time you'll be in Italy. You'll be so busy going from city to city that you really will miss seeing the sights. Go to Sicily another time.

If you're sticking with train travel, I'd spend at least 2 days in Rome (so much to see) and then 2 in Florence and maybe 1 or 2 in Venice.

Of course, I don't know where you've been before.. if anywhere. Relax and enjoy the trip.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:12 pm

Your itinerary is too much. You will spend the majority of your time in transit and have little or no time to see the sights. I'd echo the sentiments above; limit your trip to a few places and enjoy them. You could easily spend a week in Rome or Florence. I personally would recommend a few days in each, and maybe a one night side trip to Sienna. That's it. You'll likely regret trying to do more, and the trip will take its toll on you physically as well. Pick a few (no more than 3) places to see, and take your time and enjoy them. You can always return and see a different place the next time. Don't forget that you'll likely have a bad case of jet lag for the first few days, so your energy level won't be up to par.

Also, as far as finding a place for only 75 euro per night, good luck. You might have some luck finding hotels in your price range at www.venere.com
and or www.hotel-club.net

I hope you have a great trip.

Last edited by hhonorman; Feb 9, 2005 at 4:16 pm
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:01 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Agree with the above. Pick one city in addition to Rome. If it was me, I'd pick Venice - there's an overnight train from Rome that gets you into Venice around 6AM - you literally have the city to yourself at that hour. But Venice rooms easily run in excess of 200 Euros.

Your USAirways carryon will be regulated by size but not weight.

USAirways recommends checking in 2 hours before your flight. I'm a believer that it's better to be waiting at the airport for the flight you're scheduled on than to be waiting at the airport for the next flight after the one you were scheduled on. But you probably can cut it a little shorter.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:08 pm

Have no idea what to do, where to stay. Guess it's about time to plan something.

I lived in Rome for a year, and one of the most enjoyable activities is just to walk through different neighborhooods; no need to stick to the touristy areas, just walk down a back street and you'll come upon churches, palazzos, piazzas with cafes or gelato parlors.

If you're into ruins however, let me strongly recommend taking a day trip to Ostia Antica, the old port city. It's an easy jaunt on the Roma-Lido commuter rail line south (take Metro line "B" to Basilica S. Paolo and transfer across the platform). Virtually the whole ancient city is accessible, and while the buildings aren't as opulent as the Rome Forum, its far less crowded and still fascinating to look at.
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by cbastian
day trip to Ostia Antica, the old port city.
Good idea. Here's a free Rick Steves guide to Ostia:

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...taly/ostia.htm
Old Feb 10, 2005, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
My idea is based on using those FFNs on the nights of March 18 and 19- if you can't get an FFN reservation at the PH Milan for the two nights in question, then disregard

Sat 19 - Arrive FCO, get to Termini Station and then take a EuroStar express Train to FCO. In Milan, check into PH - this is mostly a day of rest, and the PH is a very nice hotel to rest in.

Sun 20 - Milan essential sights - Cenacolo (Last Supper), La Scala Museum, Duomo.

Mon 21 - EuroStar train from Milan to Florence. Florence essential sights:
Tue 22 - Uffizi, Academia (David statue) etc.

Wed 23 -
Thur 24 - EuroStar train from Florence to Rome Termini. Hotel in center area.
Essential Rome sights.

Fri 25 - Fly home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.