Search

IST Duty Free Shopping worth it

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
IST Duty Free Shopping worth it

Hi All

will have a few hours to kill next weekend at IST and with Valentine's Day coming, I am wondering if its worth to give European designer brands a visit?

I read online that they label the prices in EUR but charge in Turkish Lira with a very bad exchange rate (UK based so the fact that isn't ultimately a EUR payment won't bother me as I'll pay conversion anyway; however I wouldn't like to pay a Lira price which is much higher than what is stated in EUR).

I am wondering if anyone has experience with LVMH and Co - is it ultimately worth it?

Thanks
Daniel
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Hi All

will have a few hours to kill next weekend at IST and with Valentine's Day coming, I am wondering if its worth to give European designer brands a visit?

I read online that they label the prices in EUR but charge in Turkish Lira with a very bad exchange rate (UK based so the fact that isn't ultimately a EUR payment won't bother me as I'll pay conversion anyway; however I wouldn't like to pay a Lira price which is much higher than what is stated in EUR).

I am wondering if anyone has experience with LVMH and Co - is it ultimately worth it?

Thanks
Daniel
I haven't any experience of LVMH, but my general advice is, don't bother! I will be passing through there on Wednesday evening if there is anything you want me to look up, in particular.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:35 pm

My experience with duty-free stores is that independent of any currency conversion fees unless you live in a country where booze and "smoke" are particularly expensive, you'll find that they're generally much more expensive than "normal-tax" stores in that same country. This is particularly true for items such as electronics and clothing. Two reasons for this: 1) people often don't pay attention and buy stuff at the airport (possibly a collective, fake memory of what used to be true 50 and more years ago) and 2) the exorbitant prices airports throughout the world charge for renting the space!
enelym1978 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Unfortunately, IST duty free prices are oriented towards people from the Gulf or those people who don't care about the list pricing.
While alcohol and tobacco could be cheaper than downtown Istanbul due to taxes, you would be better buying designer brands elsewhere if you are price conscious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.