Wiki Posts
Search

Transiting the Geneva Airport to the French Side

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2021, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Transiting the Geneva Airport to the French Side

Originally Posted by monahos
Just before passport control as you arrive, you'll see a sign pointing to the French sector: do NOT go there, as luggage is only delivered to the Swiss sector.

The steps are as follows:
- go through Swiss passport control (immigration: right booth -2 lanes- for non-EU foreigners)
- collect luggage (if arriving at peak hours carts will be in short supply, wait just on the left of the leftmost green exit lane, as carts are delivered there)
- exit
- take elevator to departure floor
- facing the check-in desks, go all the way to the right, where you'll see the entrance to the French sector, next to the Air France ticket office
- go through Swiss passport control (emigration)
- fill in yellow card for entry into EU, if applicable
- go through French passport control (often unmanned)
- go through French customs (99% of the time you are waved through, 1% of the time they do their best to make you miss your flight)
- rental car desks are right there.
Has anyone done this recently, in Covid times? Looking for some updates or guidance on what may have changed.

Merci!
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:53 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
They changed this some time ago - there are now boarding card checks when you want to enter France via airport from the Swiss side (I think there was a thread on this in the Swiss or Air France forum).
Hence not possible if you do not have a valid departure boarding pass.

However, last time I checked was almost a year ago, since I have been grounded since then
I also think that the French sector is still closed completely and flights to France depart from the Swiss section - you can check on gva.ch for flights to France (e.g. Paris) and if the gate doesn't say "F..." then it's not from the French side.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 1:16 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
It used to be possible to cross to the French sector with a confirmed car rental confirmation but it's no longer the case, as stated on their page:

Warning: Following security measures imposed by the Swiss and French authorities, Genève Aéroport informs you that ONLY passengers in possession of an air ticket valid for day D +/-1 are authorised to pass between the international sector and the France sector, and vice versa.

Therefore, car rental agencies’ clients that do not meet this condition must imperatively move from one sector to another by road (car, taxi, etc.), by passing through the Ferney-Voltaire customs. Pedestrians and cyclists are not allowed to use this road.

Genève Aéroport thanks you for your understanding.
https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers...-du-Terminal-1
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978
It used to be possible to cross to the French sector with a confirmed car rental confirmation but it's no longer the case, as stated on their page:

https://www.gva.ch/en/Site/Passagers...-du-Terminal-1
So it seems that you CAN cross over (once it's open again) when you arrived with a flight on the Swiss side (since you have a valid ticket).
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:56 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
So it seems that you CAN cross over (once it's open again) when you arrived with a flight on the Swiss side (since you have a valid ticket).
No, even in the past, your ticket had to show a French departure/arrival. (at least since they implemented the doc checks before going through that glass door, can't remember exactly before that time but it's not relevant anymore).
Old Jun 6, 2021, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enelym1978
No, even in the past, your ticket had to show a French departure/arrival. (at least since they implemented the doc checks before going through that glass door, can't remember exactly before that time but it's not relevant anymore).
Doesn't "air ticket valid for day D +/-1", and especially the D-1 imply that if you have arrived there after another flight, possibly leaving on the previous day (JFK?) you are allowed to pass from CH to F? What else would it mean? I can arrive the day before and hang out at the lounge for a day?

The link provided above (thank you!) also mentions the below, so it looks like it should be possible:

ACCESS TO THE FRENCH SECTOR: ARRIVING PASSENGERS

From an international flight (except France)
  • On leaving the plane, follow the usual passenger route.
  • Collect baggage from the baggage carousel.
  • Go through Swiss customs. Go up to the Check-in level.
  • On the Check-in level, follow the "destination France" signs.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:51 am

Well - the key question is:
do the agents that check the boarding passes before you are allowed to enter the French sector agree to what's written under the link, or they will tell you "French departure / arrival only, sorry".
Old Jun 7, 2021, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Carpacchio
Well - the key question is:
do the agents that check the boarding passes before you are allowed to enter the French sector agree to what's written under the link, or they will tell you "French departure / arrival only, sorry".
Fair point. Merci.
Adding printout of the website to the list of documents to carry! So many items...
Old Jun 16, 2021, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Update!

I was able to pass without issues.

1. There was a sign placed right in front of the entrance towards the French customs booths advising that check-in facilities are closed in the French sector and bla bla, but one should not be deterred and proceed with joy.

2. The customs booths were empty.

3. After I passed the customs booths there was a chap with unclear authority, probably an airport employee asking to see boarding passes. Since I had boarding passes arriving in Geneva that day there was no issue. Enforcement seems lax: a man before me had picked up his parents arriving and was also let through because ok I'll make an exception for you mate. I do not see how he could force you to turn back but I guess he could call the constabulary.

Thank you to commenters for your help!
ExpatExp and enelym1978 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Can confirm this still works, have done it a few times, most recently in January.

What I was also told by a semi-insider is that this regime was implemented because too many people from France were going into GVA to perform activities involving permanently borrowing some goods that some may construe as not being theirs to borrow, and then leaving swiftly via this French exit with said goods.

Last edited by crescatfloreat; Apr 3, 2024 at 3:34 pm
Old Feb 8, 2024, 4:39 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Second that this wasn't an issue I had. I did this back last summer. We flew in to GVA (Swiss side) and had a French car rental, and we flashed our boarding passed for the LHR-GVA flight (the one we just got off) and were waved through. No issues picking up the car, and no issues on the way back (as we had GVA-LHR boarding passes on the way home).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.