Wiki Posts
Search

Riga hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Riga hotels

I’m kind of all over the place on trip planning right now, but considering adjusting my itinerary to allow for two nights in Riga. I currently have four nights in Stockholm, following a conference in Gothenburg mid-June.

Never been to either Stockholm or Riga. For that matter, I’m very flexible on pretext much every aspect of my post-conference time. I feel that Stockholm is definitely a place I should visit. Wondering though, should I catch a cheap flight and visit another location for a couple of nights. I don’t want to spend a lot of time on a plane, so flights under 2hrs would be ideal. Thinking Riga might be worth the effort. What are the opinions of those who have been there? Better options? Should I just keep my 4 nights in Stockholm?

if Riga is worth the trouble, where to stay. Looking at a suite at the grand poet hotel…

I'm traveling alone, prefer to explore alone and am happy to walk upwards of 15 miles in a given day.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:18 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Riga is a very walkable city. The historical Old Town is fairly small and the Art Nuveau district within walking distance.

We stayed at Mercure close to the railway station. There are other options including Radisson.

Both FR and BT fly from ARN and have competitive fares.

I recall from the airport we used public bus that goes to the railway station. Tickets can be purchased from the newsstand - you can communicate in English without too many issues.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:11 pm

Riga is fantastic, especially if you have any interest in WW2 or German / Jewish history. Food is also very good, especially Russian food - if you have never had it, certainly well worth a try,
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TPJ
Riga is a very walkable city. The historical Old Town is fairly small and the Art Nuveau district within walking distance.

We stayed at Mercure close to the railway station. There are other options including Radisson.

Both FR and BT fly from ARN and have competitive fares.

I recall from the airport we used public bus that goes to the railway station. Tickets can be purchased from the newsstand - you can communicate in English without too many issues.

Problem is The Old Town was mostly leveled by The Nazis and is rebuilt much like Wawsau

OP look into Tallin. Ive been to Vilinus,Riga and Tallin and Id rack them, Tallin,Riga,Vilina The old town of Tallin is like a story book place with (at least when I was there) folks in costume dress at a number of restaurants. As for the City itself Id say Riga was tops but I wasnt interested in the reg City and the main Park which divides The City from The Old Town being a great place to walk and simply hang out

fwiw theres Flix Bus between the 3 citys and its a 4 hr ride between them Tallin- Riga & Riga-Vilna, so you can do as I did fly into one and bus it to another and then fly out of there
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
+1 for Tallinn as an alternative. From Stockholm there is an overnight boat. IMHO Tallinn has much more character and some excellent restaurants. All very doable on foot.

I live for 6 months of the year in Stockholm and it is boring. So swapping out a few days for Tallinn would be very wise.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:50 am
Original Poster

I’ve been to Tallinn once before during Christmas. Definitely enjoyed it, but was looking to see someplace new.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:49 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Yes, or if the flight times work then even a day trip might be possible. However hotels in Riga are probably cheaper than Stockholm for the same quality of hotel.

I did Vilnius as a day trip from Stockholm, and Riga as a day trip from Tallinn (!!) Would have liked to spend more than 4 hours in Riga but unfortunately that was the only workable schedule (I had a work-related activity lasting the first hour then 3 hours of wandering).
Old Apr 28, 2022, 7:06 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I was in Riga earlier this year.

​​​​​​If you're interested in architecture, check out their Art Nouveau "neighborhood," https://www.latvia.travel/en/article/art-nouveau, and the national library.

For decent, casual local food, try the Lido chain.

If you like trying different types of tipple, Latvian Black Balsam.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:26 am
Community Director Emerita

We've been to both Riga and Stockholm and enjoyed both. Given that you haven't visited Stockholm and you will already be in Stockholm, I would stay. Otherwise, you chew up the better part of a day in moving. There's more than enough to keep you occupied in Stockholm for 4 days. It really is lovely in the longer days of spring and summer.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Riga I stayed at the Pullman. Nice central location.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:34 pm

I ended up in Riga three years ago because of a diverted flight. We loved it so much we ended up staying for a couple of extra days. It is a bit less touristy than Tallinn, and a trip to Jurmala and the sea is well worth it if visiting in summer. I would recommend an Airbnb there over a hotel. There is nothing "top tier" in terms of hotels, and for something like $50/night we had a beautiful and massive 3 bedroom apartment that was a 2-minute walk to the center square, and the host was phenomenal and even provided eggs and some other stuff for breakfast. It was hands down the largest apartment I've had in Europe, and made tiny hotel rooms there look like a closet. Would love to go back.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I visited Stockholm for a week and had plenty to do. There are many museums, from a historical ship museum to the ABBA museum. I like to walk around and there are interesting neighborhoods. I think I found Sweden to be 10-20% more expensive than Germany.
I also visited Riga for about a week, with day trips to Jurmala and to the national park that's about an hour away by train. I enjoyed Latvia very much. Just note that it is obviously not developed as much as Sweden, and indeed the prices were significantly lower, like 40-50% cheaper than Stockholm. I think I used Uber from the Riga airport or maybe it was a taxi but recall it was quite reasonable.

Thoroughly enjoyed both cities/countries.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

I’ve decided on two days in Riga and 2 and a half days in Stockholm. I rearranged my itinerary. I will now leave Gothenburg, fly to Riga, stay two day, then fly to Stockholm and take train back to Gothenburg to catch my return flight. I’ve got one night in Gothenburg at the Scandic Ledvetter airport hotel… have an early flight.

I’ve got refundable reservations at both and the grand poet and grand kempinski in Riga. Going to sleep on it for a few nights, then make a decision on which to cancel. Any opinions on either?

in Stockholm l, I’m booked at Hotel Reisen “unbound collection by Hyatt”. Seems to get good reviews, but I’m open to suggestions; this reservation is also refundable. I’ve got the Nordic sauna suite reserved.
Old May 15, 2022, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’ve stayed at the Marriott Courtyard in Stockholm. It isn’t in the city center but was pretty nice.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:33 am

Riga is an absolute walkable city, it's very comfortable and relaxing, I prefer 5* hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.