Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ukraine entry for vaccinated US residents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2021, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VitaliU
I’ve just checked in for my Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Kiev via Frankfurt. The agent wanted to see three things: passport, CDC vaccination card and insurance for Ukraine. Once she saw all of that, check in was as fast as I ever remember

I’ll post about FRA and KBP later if there is anything to post
Which insurance did you use? Just realized that the UIA insurance policy lists country name in Ukrainian only (everything else is duplicated in English). Hope that won't be a problem here.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AY Plat
I’ve just checked in for my Lufthansa flight from Chicago to Kiev via Frankfurt. The agent wanted to see three things: passport, CDC vaccination card and insurance for Ukraine. Once she saw all of that, check in was as fast as I ever remember

I’ll post about FRA and KBP later if there is anything to post
Hello from Kyiv!

boarding in Frankfurt was a mess. They had to check everyone’s vaccinations/tests/insurance/apps, etc. some people were denied boarding and their luggage offloaded. We had no issues though. The CDC card worked like charm.

the same was true in Kyiv. There were two checks - one just as we got off the jet bridge to determine which line you end up in. Second was at passport control. Everyone acted like they saw the CDC cards before and were happy to accept them as proof of vaccination
LETTERBOY and tr3k like this.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Which insurance did you use? Just realized that the UIA insurance policy lists country name in Ukrainian only (everything else is duplicated in English). Hope that won't be a problem here.
we bought one from visitukraine. Any of the ones sold there should work
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the report! Forewarned is forearmed.

we bought one from visitukraine. Any of the ones sold there should work
We actually bought both (long story), we'll see what works.

Everyone acted like they saw the CDC cards before and were happy to accept them as proof of vaccination
Let's see how it goes in our travels. I suspect (and/or hope) that given the multitude of apps, QR codes and other such stuff from various countries, the US CDC card in its naive simplicity must feel like a "breath of fresh air" to most of those tasked with checking documents (at least, it would to me).
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PG
Does anyone know if there is any meaningful difference among the policies offered from the Visit Ukraine website? They all price out the same and on quick glance, the policy documents all look identical as well. Looks like these are the choices:

- Insk
- Spare
- Krona
- Euroins
- Oranta
- Alfa
- Persha

TIA!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

No difference for purposes of entry into Ukraine. I would not expect any of these policies to actually pay for anything (nor would I ever try to claim against them - that's what health insurance is for).
N102DA likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by N102DA
Does anyone know if there is any meaningful difference among the policies offered from the Visit Ukraine website? They all price out the same and on quick glance, the policy documents all look identical as well. Looks like these are the choices:

- Insk
- Spare
- Krona
- Euroins
- Oranta
- Alfa
- Persha

TIA!
we used Oranta but any one of these will work
N102DA likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 1:36 am

No difference for purposes of entry into Ukraine. I would not expect any of these policies to actually pay for anything (nor would I ever try to claim against them - that's what health insurance is for).
I have no reason to think they won’t work in Ukraine.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 9:03 am
Original Poster

I have no reason to think they won’t work in Ukraine.
My experience is that inexpensive travel insurance policies are essentially impossible to collect on, by design. I'd be glad to be surprised otherwise.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: A3 Gold
I'll add my latest experience from entering Ukraine (last week)...

As a fully vaccinated UK citizen, I had no problems showing a printed out version of my NHS vaccination certificate (downloaded as a PDF from the NHS app). I showed this at check-in (I was flying Air Astana from NQZ) and it was accepted. I was then paged while waiting in the lounge and asked to show the proof again (this happened to at least 20~30 passengers on the flight - it seems the original check-in verification wasn't satisfactory). On arrival at KBP there was an additional checkpoint just before passport control where we were asked to show either vaccination or covid test proof again - this was a quick check and at passport control there was a check of the insurance.

For insurance I used eurotravelins.com.ua (https://eurotravelins.com.ua/en/onli...ce/buy-online/) and selected the cheapest option on the list for 3 days (the minimum they allowed to be purchased) costing less than 1USD. I used them as this company was the supplied for the insurance UIA sold me (for ~5USD) on the outward flight. The policy document clearly stated "covid-19" and I had no problems either at check-in or passport control.
tr3k likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:40 am
Original Poster

So, throw it in here - a cursory check of the insurance ($2, through FlyUIA.com) and CDC card is all it took to board (TK in the US and FlyUIA in Spain respectively). In Kiev and Lviv - a quick glance by the border guard at the same documents, and - welcome to Ukraine. Easy-peasy.
woody125 and N102DA like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PG
So, throw it in here - a cursory check of the insurance ($2, through FlyUIA.com) and CDC card is all it took to board (TK in the US and FlyUIA in Spain respectively). In Kiev and Lviv - a quick glance by the border guard at the same documents, and - welcome to Ukraine. Easy-peasy.
Yup, same experience here last Friday 8/20/21. Flew AF CDG-KBP and all they checked prior to boarding was the CDC card. Border guard at KBP did the same quick scan of that and the insurance policy (from the Visit Ukraine website).
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:56 am

I just want to ask people following this thread.

I have never been to Ukraine before. I'm a U.S citizen who is currently in Turkey for travel. I think I understand it from reading this thread but just want to ask for sure before booking anything.

Can I fly from Turkey to Ukraine on a one-way ticket.. and what do I need for entry as a U.S citizen to Ukraine right now? Do I need a visa? Do I only need my CDC vaccination card?

Also, would I be able to travel by Ukraine to Poland by land, either bus or train? Can I enter Poland through the land border with my CDC card? Would entering Poland give me access to other E.U countries? Should I hurry up and get to Ukraine -> Poland? Does it look like the E.U or Ukrainian borders could close again due to COVID?

It's been interesting visiting Turkey, but I'd like to explore other places in the region that I've never been to before.

thanks for any help with any of these questions..
Old Aug 25, 2021, 10:16 am
Original Poster

- US citizens do not require a visa to enter Ukraine (I am uncertain what the time limit on the stay is)
- I have not been asked for a return ticket when flying to Ukraine, not sure why - but several times no one was interested, neither the airline, nor the border guards. YMMV
- Plenty of cars with "PL" license plates in Western Ukraine, and Polish visitors in the city, so border is open. Whether you can enter Poland depends on their rules, which is probably outside the scope of this thread.
The rest of your question require a gift of foresight that I do not possess.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 12:21 pm

- US citizens do not require a visa to enter Ukraine (I am uncertain what the time limit on the stay is)
- I have not been asked for a return ticket when flying to Ukraine, not sure why - but several times no one was interested, neither the airline, nor the border guards. YMMV
- Plenty of cars with "PL" license plates in Western Ukraine, and Polish visitors in the city, so border is open. Whether you can enter Poland depends on their rules, which is probably outside the scope of this thread.
The rest of your question require a gift of foresight that I do not possess.
tr3k or anyone.. I'm about to book a flight with SkyUp from Istanbul to Kiev. On the last page of the ticket booking there is a huge bolded warning that 'ALL FOREIGNERS NEED A COVID TEST TO ENTER" I'm paraphrasing but it is saying you need a Covid test to enter. Will I be denied boarding without a test? Is the warning just outdated? There's no mention about a vaccine card in the warning. From everything I've read on this thread and elsewhere.. we can use the CDC vaccine card for entry with no test required. I'm just doublt checking before I finalize this boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.