Schengen Visa from USA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schengen Visa from USA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It seems like the EU wants its member states to require visa applicants to generally apply at least 15 days before travel. Whether they stick to that or not will continue to vary for some.
Yes, they state their estimated processing time as 15 business days however it's still possible to apply if there are less than 15 business days, however, the applicant would responsible for expenses if his visa process takes longer ( such as prepaid flights, hotels, etc... ) and some travel insurance companies deny to give compensation for visa delays or refusals if the applicant has submitted his visa application in the last 15 business days before the travel.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Elias2018
Can you please share your experiences if you did any application for a Schengen Visa in USA , and what’s the Timeline and how easy to apply and get it ?
thanks
There is no common answer to this questions. It depends on the nationally of the applicant, the general status of the applicant (employed vs. unemployed, financial situation, background, married, unmarried etc.) and the Schengen Country you choose to apply for the Schengen visa. The rules and process how to apply was answered already in this thread and my general advice is to apply for a visa earlier than later. Around 90 days in advance gives the applicant under normal circumstances enough time to get all necessary documents and in case the consulate demands further information enough time to provide them.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:35 am

Well, one's plans can change after applying for a particular visa. So, if you initially 'intend' to spend most time in France and apply for a French Schengen visa, but then change your plans, this is entirely appropriate, and questioning at the border shouldn't really be an issue, if it even occurs. Friends and relatives of mine have indeed done this, and have not reported anything but a flawless Schengen entry. There may be particular problematic ports of entry or combinations - this I don't know - but applying for a visa from a consulate and then never visiting that country in the end is not really an issue. Remember, you might visit the country intra-Schengen and spend most of your time there in the end, and there would be no stamp to prove it.

Having said that, I don't know which country is easiest and most lenient with regard to the issuance of visas.

EDIT: Friends and relatives of mine have had GENUINE changes of plans, and not with the intent to deceive. Not sure why I put INTENT in quotes.

Last edited by cafeconleche; Feb 14, 2020 at 1:32 am Reason: clarification
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by cafeconleche
Well, one's plans can change after applying for a particular visa. So, if you initially 'intend' to spend most time in France and apply for a French Schengen visa, but then change your plans, this is entirely appropriate, and questioning at the border shouldn't really be an issue, if it even occurs. Friends and relatives of mine have indeed done this, and have not reported anything but a flawless Schengen entry. There may be particular problematic ports of entry or combinations - this I don't know - but applying for a visa from a consulate and then never visiting that country in the end is not really an issue. Remember, you might visit the country intra-Schengen and spend most of your time there in the end, and there would be no stamp to prove it.

Having said that, I don't know which country is easiest and most lenient with regard to the issuance of visas.
Applying for a Schengen visa requires you to have a booked flight as well as accommodation, sure you can book a fully refundable ticket and accommodation with free cancellation and plan to cancel both once you've obtained your visa but I would hardly call it 'entirely appropriate'.
Questioning at the border may or may not occur, if you plan to visit the country that issued your visa in the middle of your journey at the very least you could be asked to show proof of accommodation booked in that country, flight/train/bus tickets booked to get there etc.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Yeah, it doesn’t really work like that. Best to stick to the rules.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:44 pm

You are completely wrong and you should really delete your post for the sake of avoiding people reading this post and making a mess for their current and future travel plans.

The official rules to apply for a Schengen Visa are very clear

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...ow_to_apply_en

You must lodge the application for a Schengen visa at the Consulate of the country that you intend to visit, or – if you intend to visit more than one Schengen State, the Consulate of the country where you will spend the longest period.

If you intend to visit several Schengen States and the stays will be of equal length, you must apply at the Consulate of the country whose external borders you will cross first when entering the Schengen area.

If you don't follow this rules, you are liable to be denied boarding or refused entry to the Schengen Area.
farci likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.