Search

Uber at BCN?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Uber at BCN?

I was in Barcelona two years ago and used it and was great. I’m going back in three weeks and see it’s no longer there??
Old Jan 1, 2020, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
It wasn't available a few months ago when ms. pbiflyer was there. She took the express bus from the airport and then a taxi.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: *G
they use freenow/mytaxi. you'll know this in most cities if google maps doesnt link you to uber
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
they use freenow/mytaxi. you'll know this in most cities if google maps doesnt link you to uber
Thanks I'll check it out.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks I'll check it out.
if you have cash, use that.
what i didnt like about the freenow/mytaxi is that the rides can come out wayy higher than the app estimates, particularly if you have luggage and multiple passengers, going to/from airport, etc.
sorta defeats the transparency of the uber paradigm
Old Jan 3, 2020, 4:44 am

More info re Uber in Barcelona here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47071710
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
if you have cash, use that.
what i didnt like about the freenow/mytaxi is that the rides can come out wayy higher than the app estimates, particularly if you have luggage and multiple passengers, going to/from airport, etc.
sorta defeats the transparency of the uber paradigm
well freenow/mytaxi sounds absolutely worthless if the actual fare is higher than was quoted. What a pain. I will miss uber there. I'm looking to get primarily from the airport to the hilton Diagonal and back and between those trips a ride to an from the las ramblas street (sp?) a few times. I don't want to go to the atm to withdrawal euros if necessary as I don't know if their taxi's take credit cards and/or contactless.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
well freenow/mytaxi sounds absolutely worthless if the actual fare is higher than was quoted. What a pain. I will miss uber there. I'm looking to get primarily from the airport to the hilton Diagonal and back and between those trips a ride to an from the las ramblas street (sp?) a few times. I don't want to go to the atm to withdrawal euros if necessary as I don't know if their taxi's take credit cards and/or contactless.
We used mytaxi in Barcelona in September and didn't find that the fare changed. I believe deniah, but maybe it's not always the case. Note, we only took it to the airport on our last day. Other times were to/from the regional train station and I believe just one other time in town.

Isn't the Hilton right next to the L4 metro line, which goes straight to La Rambla? I believe (but don't remember with 100% certainty) that my wife used a credit card to buy metro passes (maybe 5 or 10 ride?).
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
We used mytaxi in Barcelona in September and didn't find that the fare changed. I believe deniah, but maybe it's not always the case. Note, we only took it to the airport on our last day. Other times were to/from the regional train station and I believe just one other time in town.

Isn't the Hilton right next to the L4 metro line, which goes straight to La Rambla? I believe (but don't remember with 100% certainty) that my wife used a credit card to buy metro passes (maybe 5 or 10 ride?).
I'll download the app and give it a shot ^
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: BA GfL
Also, try Cabify.com
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Cabify is a much better option in Spain than FreeNow.

Cabify is a fixed price, quoted upfront. FreeNow is simply a booking and payment app. You still pay the variable meter price, which in my experience, FreeNow significantly under estimates.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Downloaded Cabify and did a sample quote from BCN to Hilton Diagonal and the “lite” price was €27. Anyone know how that compares to a regular taxi fare?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Downloaded Cabify and did a sample quote from BCN to Hilton Diagonal and the “lite” price was €27. Anyone know how that compares to a regular taxi fare?
Not sure, but FreeNow quotes €24-31 (probably an under estimate).
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Cabify is a much better option in Spain than FreeNow.

Cabify is a fixed price, quoted upfront. FreeNow is simply a booking and payment app. You still pay the variable meter price, which in my experience, FreeNow significantly under estimates.
Ugh, yes Cabify is what we used, not mytaxi. Sorry, I totally mis-remembered - must have mixed up taxi and cab in the names. That's what I get for letting my wife do all the car ordering!

Anyway, we had a good experience with Cabify, even though I mixed up the name.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
My taxi from BCN to Four Point Diagonal was 42 euro and he expected a tip and did not do credit card.
enviroian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.