Wiki Posts
Search

shopping in central ZRH during layover

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Platinum
shopping in central ZRH during layover

Next month I'll be passing thru ZRH on my way back to the US. My flight to SFO leaves at 1:10pm.
Will I have enough time to visit a store in central ZRH that opens at 10am? Assuming I shop fairly efficiently and am on my way by 10:30. The store is <5 minutes walk from the main train station, or I can take an Uber back to ZRH. I'll be flying on LX in J on a US passport, star alliance gold status, and with carry-on luggage only, in case any of that matters.

thoughts?

thanks for the input,
Bob
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
The trains only take 10-12 minutes so I’d say you could leave the store at 11 and still be comfortable
Old Oct 7, 2019, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
The trains only take 10-12 minutes so I’d say you could leave the store at 11 and still be comfortable

+1. however try and stay away from the S trains and instead go with a IC train.Reason the ICs pull into the station on the upper level or street level, while the Ss arrive underground and will take longer to exit the station or get back to the train to ZRH. But if you will have to wait any length of time for an IC then go with the S
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 10:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craz
+1. however try and stay away from the S trains and instead go with a IC train.Reason the ICs pull into the station on the upper level or street level, while the Ss arrive underground and will take longer to exit the station or get back to the train to ZRH. But if you will have to wait any length of time for an IC then go with the S
Some S trains arrive on the upper level and some IC arrive on the lower level; but with the efficient arrangement of passageways* the extra time should be < 5 minutes.
*there are two sets of passageways linking 2-18 (upstairs) with 31-34 and 41-44 (downstairs)
downinit likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So, the departures after 1030 are:

1033 platform 34
1035 platform 8
1039 platform 33
1044 platform 33
1046 platform 41/42
1052 platform 33
1105 platform 33
1109 platform 5

Seems that you should make a beeline to platform 33.

Do not take a taxi unless the entire electricity supply of Switzerland has turned off.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
Some S trains arrive on the upper level and some IC arrive on the lower level; but with the efficient arrangement of passageways* the extra time should be < 5 minutes.
*there are two sets of passageways linking 2-18 (upstairs) with 31-34 and 41-44 (downstairs)

didnt know that but Ive been to Zurich countless times and every time I took an S I ended up downstairs and an IC I ended up upstairs, so I thought it was always that way
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Do not take a taxi unless the entire electricity supply of Switzerland has turned off.
Love this!
downinit likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by craz
didnt know that but Ive been to Zurich countless times and every time I took an S I ended up downstairs and an IC I ended up upstairs, so I thought it was always that way
The S24, at least, goes from upstairs to the airport. It might be the only S-Bahn that still does.

Last edited by greg5; Oct 27, 2019 at 2:04 am Reason: punctuation, latest clarifying that the S24 is the only S-Bahn that leaves from upstairs. The IR trains are also upstairs.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Simply hop on the next one leaving - the I/C saves you five minutes and is a shorter walk - but it doesn't really make much of a difference. As others have said you'll be fine even if you shop until 11:00 am

Depending on the store (and the value of the goods) they might have be willing to deliver to the airport or have a shop at the airport.
The more time that can be spent in the Senator (and *G) Lounge in terminal E the better
Old Oct 10, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by frogster
The more time that can be spent in the Senator (and *G) Lounge in terminal E the better
Indeed! Especially true for those who like a wee bit of whiskey - with around 200 bottles in the Swiss whiskey bar and knowledgeable barkeeps to have a great tasting and chat about the good stuff!
MSPeconomist and FlyingJoy like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I do not like whisky but the whisky bar at the Senator lounge was impressive
No real expensive stuff but some nice brands and an amazing variety.
The food is so so
The service is nice and the place is spacious. They also have an outside balcony
As far as shopping, do you have anything in mind?
I found that everything I saw in Zurich was cheaper in the US or online.
I ended up not buying much.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keisari
I do not like whisky but the whisky bar at the Senator lounge was impressive
No real expensive stuff but some nice brands and an amazing variety.
The food is so so
The service is nice and the place is spacious. They also have an outside balcony
As far as shopping, do you have anything in mind?
I found that everything I saw in Zurich was cheaper in the US or online.
I ended up not buying much.
The reason for shopping is that there's a tea shop in central Zurich that makes some specific herbal tea blends my wife is fond of, and the shop doesn't ship to the USA so I have to visit in person.

If anyone's still reading this, my follow-on question is this: I arrive late in the evening (10pm landing). Would you sleep at the Radisson at ZRH and take a train roundtrip the next morning for shopping, or take the train in the night before, sleep at a downtown hotel, and then train back out to ZRH for the flight?

I'm leaning towards staying at the Radisson at the airport and then taking the train in the morning, rather than arriving at a central Zurich hotel at 11pm or later. Thoughts?
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
It's a very easy trip from the airport to downtown. Which shop? Don't forget to declare your herbal tea as you enter the USA on the way back.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greg5
It's a very easy trip from the airport to downtown. Which shop? Don't forget to declare your herbal tea as you enter the USA on the way back.
La Cucina on Lagerstrasse. Agree, it's easy to reach, I'm just not sure if it's a trip I want to make at 10:30-11pm or just sleep at the airport Radisson and then do a roundtrip in the morning for shopping (my current leaning).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
You're going to SFO the next day, so 11pm in Zurich is actually 2pm (3pm for the rest of this week). But you might have been up since very early European time?
How much does the airport hotel cost vs downtown?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.