FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   shopping in central ZRH during layover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1990393-shopping-central-zrh-during-layover.html)

bpratt Oct 7, 2019 3:14 pm

shopping in central ZRH during layover

Next month I'll be passing thru ZRH on my way back to the US. My flight to SFO leaves at 1:10pm.
Will I have enough time to visit a store in central ZRH that opens at 10am? Assuming I shop fairly efficiently and am on my way by 10:30. The store is <5 minutes walk from the main train station, or I can take an Uber back to ZRH. I'll be flying on LX in J on a US passport, star alliance gold status, and with carry-on luggage only, in case any of that matters.

thoughts?

thanks for the input,
Bob

ajeleonard Oct 7, 2019 3:19 pm

The trains only take 10-12 minutes so I’d say you could leave the store at 11 and still be comfortable

craz Oct 7, 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by ajeleonard (Post 31603160)
The trains only take 10-12 minutes so I’d say you could leave the store at 11 and still be comfortable

+1. however try and stay away from the S trains and instead go with a IC train.Reason the ICs pull into the station on the upper level or street level, while the Ss arrive underground and will take longer to exit the station or get back to the train to ZRH. But if you will have to wait any length of time for an IC then go with the S

nrr Oct 7, 2019 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 31603570)
+1. however try and stay away from the S trains and instead go with a IC train.Reason the ICs pull into the station on the upper level or street level, while the Ss arrive underground and will take longer to exit the station or get back to the train to ZRH. But if you will have to wait any length of time for an IC then go with the S

Some S trains arrive on the upper level and some IC arrive on the lower level; but with the efficient arrangement of passageways* the extra time should be < 5 minutes.
*there are two sets of passageways linking 2-18 (upstairs) with 31-34 and 41-44 (downstairs)

:D! Oct 8, 2019 12:45 am

So, the departures after 1030 are:

1033 platform 34
1035 platform 8
1039 platform 33
1044 platform 33
1046 platform 41/42
1052 platform 33
1105 platform 33
1109 platform 5

Seems that you should make a beeline to platform 33.

Do not take a taxi unless the entire electricity supply of Switzerland has turned off.

craz Oct 8, 2019 11:04 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 31604203)
Some S trains arrive on the upper level and some IC arrive on the lower level; but with the efficient arrangement of passageways* the extra time should be < 5 minutes.
*there are two sets of passageways linking 2-18 (upstairs) with 31-34 and 41-44 (downstairs)

didnt know that but Ive been to Zurich countless times and every time I took an S I ended up downstairs and an IC I ended up upstairs, so I thought it was always that way

CarlTheWebmaster Oct 8, 2019 11:20 am

Do not take a taxi unless the entire electricity supply of Switzerland has turned off.
Love this!

greg5 Oct 8, 2019 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 31605987)
didnt know that but Ive been to Zurich countless times and every time I took an S I ended up downstairs and an IC I ended up upstairs, so I thought it was always that way

The S24, at least, goes from upstairs to the airport. It might be the only S-Bahn that still does.

frogster Oct 10, 2019 7:49 am

Simply hop on the next one leaving - the I/C saves you five minutes and is a shorter walk - but it doesn't really make much of a difference. As others have said you'll be fine even if you shop until 11:00 am

Depending on the store (and the value of the goods) they might have be willing to deliver to the airport or have a shop at the airport.
The more time that can be spent in the Senator (and *G) Lounge in terminal E the better ;)

Romanianflyer Oct 10, 2019 11:35 am

Originally Posted by frogster (Post 31612807)
The more time that can be spent in the Senator (and *G) Lounge in terminal E the better ;)

Indeed! Especially true for those who like a wee bit of whiskey - with around 200 bottles in the Swiss whiskey bar and knowledgeable barkeeps to have a great tasting and chat about the good stuff!

keisari Oct 26, 2019 9:33 pm

I do not like whisky but the whisky bar at the Senator lounge was impressive
No real expensive stuff but some nice brands and an amazing variety.
The food is so so
The service is nice and the place is spacious. They also have an outside balcony
As far as shopping, do you have anything in mind?
I found that everything I saw in Zurich was cheaper in the US or online.
I ended up not buying much.

bpratt Oct 29, 2019 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by keisari (Post 31669844)
I do not like whisky but the whisky bar at the Senator lounge was impressive
No real expensive stuff but some nice brands and an amazing variety.
The food is so so
The service is nice and the place is spacious. They also have an outside balcony
As far as shopping, do you have anything in mind?
I found that everything I saw in Zurich was cheaper in the US or online.
I ended up not buying much.

The reason for shopping is that there's a tea shop in central Zurich that makes some specific herbal tea blends my wife is fond of, and the shop doesn't ship to the USA so I have to visit in person.

If anyone's still reading this, my follow-on question is this: I arrive late in the evening (10pm landing). Would you sleep at the Radisson at ZRH and take a train roundtrip the next morning for shopping, or take the train in the night before, sleep at a downtown hotel, and then train back out to ZRH for the flight?

I'm leaning towards staying at the Radisson at the airport and then taking the train in the morning, rather than arriving at a central Zurich hotel at 11pm or later. Thoughts?

greg5 Oct 29, 2019 3:09 pm

It's a very easy trip from the airport to downtown. Which shop? Don't forget to declare your herbal tea as you enter the USA on the way back.

bpratt Oct 29, 2019 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by greg5 (Post 31679269)
It's a very easy trip from the airport to downtown. Which shop? Don't forget to declare your herbal tea as you enter the USA on the way back.

La Cucina on Lagerstrasse. Agree, it's easy to reach, I'm just not sure if it's a trip I want to make at 10:30-11pm or just sleep at the airport Radisson and then do a roundtrip in the morning for shopping (my current leaning).

:D! Oct 29, 2019 7:02 pm

You're going to SFO the next day, so 11pm in Zurich is actually 2pm (3pm for the rest of this week). But you might have been up since very early European time?
How much does the airport hotel cost vs downtown?