Prague /Budapest / Poland advise

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prague /Budapest / Poland advise

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:12 am

"train to Gdansk, if flight, which airline? BA ?"

That's interesting how such ideas are invented…
It's like Washington to Miami... which airline? Air Canada?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA.
Thanks again. I appreciated it.
I am going to start with flight and hotel.

1. Start at Budapest, (3 night suggest by JBod), Stay at IHG or Marriott if the hotel expensive
2. we will take train to Bratislava, Slovakia (1 night) ... need hotel suggestion please
3. train to Krakow (3 night)
4. Kraków to Gdańsk (plane, the airline is LOT and it takes less than an hour); 2 nights in Gdańsk (Marriott Gdynia waterfront) Cat 3
5. Gdańsk to Warsaw ( Polish Airlines or ~3 hours on the train 2 nights in Warsaw
6. train to Brno (2 night) any hotel suggestion for cash or better use points?
7. train to Prague (3 night)

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:22 pm

The hotel I meant in Gdańsk (it literally lies at the ‘border’ with Sopot, just past the road sign ) is the Sopot Marriott Resort & Spa whereas the one you mention, whilst being an excellent property per se (I have stayed there myself), is a bit ‘far’ from the main attractions (i.e. Gdańsk old town and indeed Sopot), which you would be able to easily reach (respectively) by tram (number 6)/Uber and a 10 minutes’ walk along the seafront (if staying at the Resort & Spa). The other valid (and relatively cheap) option is the Novotel Gdańsk Marina (a few hundred yards from the Marriott), it recently went through some much needed renovation works with the rooms looking much better now.

G
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
For Brno, two nights is probably a good recommendation. If you are looking for a novel lodging experience, I recommend 10-Z Bunker. Yes, you have to share bathrooms, but depending on when you visit, you'll find very few guests. Whether or not you stay, I believe they will allow you to tour the bunker. We stayed there for two nights and it was definitely an interesting glimpse into communist military life. They also had a great exposition and our tour guide (for the bunker tour) was awesome.

In Brno, I enjoyed Nok Nok for lunch and dinner. We were able to sit outside and people watch.

As far as Prague, I'd spend 3 or 4 nights. There are threads devoted to just what to do in Prague. That said, my suggestions:
  • Prague Castle
  • Letna Beer Garden-nice place to relax and have lunch
  • Petřín Lookout Tower
  • Vyšehrad Castle
  • Ss. Cyril and Methodius Cathedral-where the paratroopers from Operation Anthropoid were finally killed (National Memorial of the Czech Heroes during Heydrich terror)
  • Vítkov Hill for a nice view
  • Jan Palach memorial
I loved Prague Castle at night. St. Vitas was breathtaking. My suggestion is that, as you are walking through the little entryway (like a walkway through a building) before you get to St. Vitas, look down at the ground. Only once you are out of that, then look up. You will be greeted with an amazing sight. Generally, throughout the Czech Republic, always "look up" as you'll see artwork and other things you might otherwise miss.

You might also want to consider a day in Plzen, Karlovy Vary, or České Budějovice for a small town feel.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by moon4fun
Thanks AlicorporateUK.
It is what our plan, please let me know if I needs to rearrange...
1. Start at Budapest, (3 night suggest by JBod), Stay at IHG or Marriott if the hotel expensive
2. we will take train to Bratislava, Slovakia (1 night) ... need hotel suggestion please
3. train to Krakow (3 night)
4. train to Warsaw (3 night)
5. train to Gdansk, if flight, which airline? BA ? for (1 night) ? any hotel suggestion of paid cash ?
6. train to Brno (2 night) any hotel suggestion for cash or better use points?
7. train to Prague (3 night)

Thanks Again !
In Gdansk I would recommend Marriott or Sofitel Grand right at the pier in Sopot. Gdansk is really a TriCity (Gdansk/Sopot/Gdynia), easy hop by local train. I would skip Brno in favour of Wroclaw, otherwise you picked the finest cities!
Best!
^
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

AlicorporateUK, Got it, will change to Sheraton Sopot Hotel.
Kipper, great info for Prague, will I able to do day trip for Plzen, Karlovy Vary, or České Budějovice ?
Eugeniusz, good info for TriCity (Gdansk/Sopot/Gdynia)
Now, decision time, between Brno and Wroclaw, if I do pick both, do I travel from Gdansk -> Wroclaw -> Brno.?

Thanks again for all suggestion.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Thumbs up

Kipper, great info for Prague, will I able to do day trip for Plzen, Karlovy Vary, or České Budějovice ?
Now, decision time, between Brno and Wroclaw, if I do pick both, do I travel from Gdansk -> Wroclaw -> Brno.?

If you pick both, you have the right sequence. You will love the trip. All those places are absolute gems. Make sure you go on Carol's Bridge in Prague before 6 a.m. Daytime this place is busier than Venice or Ponte Vecchio in Florence and the unobstructed vista from the bridge towards the castle and old town is everything. I did it, played Mozart on my phone and danced on the bridge. Not a soul in sight and I moved 300 years back in time. Priceless!
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

Trains run to/from Plzen and České Budějovice several times/day, so yes, you can leave Prague that morning, take the train to either, spend several hours and then head back to Prague. I believe for Karlovy Vary, you need to take a bus (Google Honest Prague Guide and Karlovy Vary--he did an episode about visiting there and I think discussed how to get there). To get there, we rented a car and drove there, stopping at Lidice and Terezin on the way.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:37 am

Personally, I would look at taking some flights, especially if you are traveling light and don't need to pay checked baggage fees. LCC Wizz has hubs in Budapest, Warsaw and Katowice (outside Krakow). Fares are very reasonable. I don't see a Budapest Gdansk flight but there is definitely one to Warsaw.

I would also look into visiting the Tatras, although there might still be snow on some of the hiking paths in May. If you do this, then you can travel from Budapest to Poprad (via Bratislave) to Zakopane to Krakow.

Lastly, here are a couple of recent New York Times articles on Prague and an alternative to Prague.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/t...in-prague.html

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...er-crowds.html
Old Jun 13, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Great info. Thanks All. . I will get up early in the morning like Kipper suggestion. I did watch the Honest guy video about Prague.
I start checking the hotel and flight, I will choose the less cost of points for some city.
1. Start at Budapest, (3 night), Stay at IHG or Marriott if the hotel expensive
Hotel:
· Hyatt, Párisi Udvar Hotel Budapest (cat 2, 8000 points)
Petőfi Sándor u. 2-4
Budapest, 1052, Hungary
· InterContinental Budapest (cat 4, 40,000 points)
Apáczai Csere János u. 12-14, Budapest, 1052 Hungary
2. Train to Bratislava, Slovakia (1 night)
Hotel:

· Crowne Plaza Bratislava (20,000 points)

Hodzovo Namestie 2, Bratislava,816 25 Slovakia

3. Train to Krakow (3 night)
Hotel:
· Sheraton Grand Krakow (Cat 5, 35,000 points)
7 Powisle Street Krakow, Poland 31-101
· Holiday Inn Krakow City Centre (25,000 points)
Ul Wielopole 4, Krakow,31-072 Poland

4. Train to Warsaw (3 night)

Hotel:

· The Westin Warsaw (Cat 4, 25,000)

AI. Jana Pawla II 21 Warsaw, Poland 00-854

· Holiday Inn Warsaw City Centre (20,000 points)

Twarda 52, Warsaw,00-831 Poland

5. Train to Gdansk ( LOT Polish Airlines or ~3 hours on the train) 2 nights

Hotel: (2 night)

· Sopot Marriott Resort & Spa (Cat 4, 25,000 points)

Bitwy pod Plowcami 59 Sopot, Poland 81-731

TriCity (Gdansk/Sopot/Gdynia) - local train

· Sheraton Sopot Hotel (Cat 4, 25,000 points)

Powstancow Warszawy 10 Sopot, Poland 81-718
6. Train to Wroclaw (2 night)

AC Hotel Wroclaw (Cat 3, 17,500)

Plac Wolnosci 10 Wroclaw, Poland 50-071

7. Train to Brno (2 night)

Hotel:

· Holiday Inn (15,000 points)

Krizkovskeho 20, Brno,603 00 Czech Republic

8. Train to Prague (3 night)

Hotel:

· Courtyard Prague City (Cat 3, 17,500 points) - walk 5 min, train A Nemocnice Motol (Platform 2, 5 stops, 7 min), walk 7 min

Lucemburska Street 46 Prague, Czech Republic 130 00

· Prague Marriott Hotel (Cat 5, 35,000 points)

V Celnici 8 Prague, Czech Republic 110 00

· InterContinental Prague (40,000 points)

Parizska 30, Prague,110 00 Czech Republic
Old Jun 16, 2019, 11:19 pm

8. Train to Prague (3 night)

Hotel:
(...)
Prague Marriott Hotel (Cat 5, 35,000 points)

V Celnici 8 Prague, Czech Republic 110 00

· InterContinental Prague (40,000 points)

Parizska 30, Prague,110 00 Czech Republic

·
You will arrive in Praque to the station called "Praha hlavni nadrazi":

Towards the Old Town where your hotels are located::

Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Don't know if it's in your budget, but from outside

Radisson Blu Carlton Hotel, Bratislava

looks great. If it's Radisson, should be good. This dates back to pre Communist era IIRC, very close to Danube, right on streetcar line, just a great location. Oh, the streetcar (one of the lines) goes directly to train station IIRC.

In Brno I've stayed at HI - it's a tad out of town, but lots of greenery around, and relatively close to streetcar station. If there isn't a convention in town, rates are quite cheap and both times I stayed there it was on IHG's pointbreaks (back when 5K points could get you a nice hotel).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Hi abeyro - the picture you shown, which hotel is it ?
Hi EmailKid - Radisson Blu Carlton is not available with points when I put in the date 5/17 or 5/18. Currently it list $100 USD.

Brno - HI does it mean Holiday Inn - Krizkovskeho 20, Brno,603 00 Czech Republic ?

Thanks All.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Hi EmailKid - Radisson Blu Carlton is not available with points when I put in the date 5/17 or 5/18. Currently it list $100 USD.

Brno - HI does it mean Holiday Inn - Krizkovskeho 20, Brno,603 00 Czech Republic ?.
That is too bad, it's a great location. The HI Bratislava is a bit from center, but was good value when I was there. About 10 minute walk to streetcar.

Yes, Brno Holiday Inn. Kind of hard to find if you go by that address, but it's right next to cyclodrome if you ask locals for directions. Closer to center than Bratislava's HI.

But I usually just walked even though streetcars are dirt cheap (and I LOVE streetcars) because I like to walk.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks EmailKid.
Me too love to ride on streetcars, see the local building and people.
Continuing working on hotel, checking on the air fare available ... use AA mile to book but try to avoid BA flight from US to LHR ...

Thanks again for all the great info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.