FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/)
-   -   Prague /Budapest / Poland advise (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1972943-prague-budapest-poland-advise.html)

moon4fun Jun 6, 2019 2:57 pm

Prague /Budapest / Poland advise

Hello,

Want to turn to the FlyerTalk Family to help planning our next trip (May 2020). We are arriving in BUD, we will have 20 days for the whole trip.

Here are the places we like to visit.

Budapest, Hungary

Bratislava, Slovakia

Krakow, Warsaw, Wroclaw in Poland

Brno, Prague in Czech Republic

How many days should we spend in each place?

Will we able to take train to travel on these city (country)?

Throw me some ideas

Thanks

abeyro Jun 6, 2019 11:49 pm

I presume you start from Budapest, head up north and end-up again in Budapest or Prague.
You may travel by air or rent a car, of course
Here are the basic info, if surface travel on steel rails is what you are into:

For train connections Budapest-Bratislava-Prague, visit https://www.cd.cz/en/default.htm (travel time 6h30, several services daily)

Then for Praque-Krakow: https://www.leoexpress.com/en (one service daily dep 16.09, arr 22.57)

Within Poland and for Warsaw-Praque or Warsaw-Budapest, pls check: https://www.intercity.pl/en/
Estimated travel duration:
Krakow-Warsaw : 2h30
Krakow-Wroclaw- 3h10
Wroclaw-Warsaw - 3h30
Warsaw - Praque: 2 services daytime, 1 servive overnight , 8h daytaime, 12h overnight
Warsaw-Biudapest 1 service daytine 10h30, 1 overnight service 13h

Side note: my theory is that one cannot grab a feel of any city if you don't sleep there AT LEAST 2 nights ;)

moon4fun Jun 7, 2019 9:21 am

Thanks abeyro.
Yes, we will start at Budapest and end in Poland...

moon4fun Jun 7, 2019 9:28 am

Any suggestion on where to stay ?
We have points (not a lots) from Marriott, IHG and Hyatt?
We want to close to city so we can either take train or walk.

Thanks!

AlicorporateUK Jun 7, 2019 1:20 pm

Regarding Warsaw/Kraków/Wrocław: hotel rates are normally relatively cheap so you may want to save your points for other occasions. That being said and if you want to stick to IHG properties, the InterContinental in Warsaw is a great hotel and in a good location as well. If you need any other specific info concerning Warsaw, please shout. Oh, and I would personally ‘swap’ Wrocław for a trip to the north/seaside i.e. Gdańsk/Sopot/Gdynia, but that’s all down to personal ‘taste’ as usual (i.e. others may suggest to stick to Wrocław, which I personally don’t like and find rather ‘grim’, with no offence whatsoever to the locals ;)).

G

TomMM Jun 7, 2019 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by moon4fun (Post 31179782)

Thanks!

In BUD I've stayed at the City Hilton, pretty nice.

krispy84 Jun 8, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks!

All your destinations are relatively cheap, certainly compared to Western Europe and the US. Therefore you might find it better to pay cash for hotels rather than spend points on a poor value redemption.

JBord Jun 8, 2019 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by moon4fun (Post 31177477)

How many days should we spend in each place?

Budapest, Hungary - 3 or 4 nights

Bratislava, Slovakia - 1 night

Krakow, Warsaw, Wroclaw in Poland - 3 nights, 3 nights, 2 nights

Brno, Prague in Czech Republic - 2 nights, 4 nights

Thanks!

In Budapest, use points for the Marriott right on the Danube. Great central location for all your tourism. Believe there is an Intercontinental a couple doors down as well. The Prague Marriott is also in a nice location.

In Krakow, I really liked the Hotel Stary, right on the main square.

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31182633)

All your destinations are relatively cheap, certainly compared to Western Europe and the US. Therefore you might find it better to pay cash for hotels rather than spend points on a poor value redemption.

Budapest is no longer cheap, unfortunately. And Prague has definitely been getting more expensive. But I agree that there will be plenty of well-priced options in Poland and Slovakia.

hipquest Jun 8, 2019 3:33 pm

A resource that was recommended to me here on FT, Seat61 , was invaluable for the trip we took in March to Berlin, Prague, Cesky Krumlov, Vienna and Budapest. Excellent rail info.

I 2nd the Marriott rec for Budapest. We spent 3 nights there and it was not nearly enough time. I guess we'll have to go back;)
;

krispy84 Jun 8, 2019 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by JBord (Post 31183455)
In Budapest, use points for the Marriott right on the Danube. Great central location for all your tourism. Believe there is an Intercontinental a couple doors down as well. The Prague Marriott is also in a nice location.

In Krakow, I really liked the Hotel Stary, right on the main square.

Budapest is no longer cheap, unfortunately. And Prague has definitely been getting more expensive. But I agree that there will be plenty of well-priced options in Poland and Slovakia.

I was in Prague in January and Budapest in April. They are both no longer 1990s cheap but still good value and my initial post stands IMHO.

In Budapest, one needs to tear one’s self away from Széchenyi Tér and the ‘obvious’ choices to get far better value and more interesting hotels. The Marriott and Intercontinental are very dull.

deniah Jun 9, 2019 1:51 am

Continental hotel in Budapest is a good choice and it's attached to very good restaurant Araz

moon4fun Jun 9, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks all for the great info. Appreciated it very much.
We don't have a lots of points, any suggestion which hotels we should look into ?
If hotel are expensive, we will use points, if cheap, we will pay cash.

As of travel to seaside, how is the commute ? Can I take a train there ? Gdansk sound great, but kind of far, not sure how to get there?

AlicorporateUK Jun 9, 2019 11:22 am

Originally Posted by moon4fun (Post 31185694)
As of travel to seaside, how is the commute ? Can I take a train there ? Gdansk sound great, but kind of far, not sure how to get there?

Easy-peasy: high-speed train (or sort-of, but still better than when it used to take nearly 6 hours...) from Warsaw central station (Warszawa Centralna, it takes about 3 hours) or even plane (there are several daily flights between the two cities and it can often be cheaper than the train for just roughly 40 minutes’ journey). Trust me, it is really worth it: Gdańsk is a gem of a city with plenty to see and do plus of course the added bonus of a nice stroll along the seafront from Jelitkowo (Gdańsk) all the way to Gdynia via Sopot (plenty of bars and restaurant on the way).

G

moon4fun Jun 9, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks AlicorporateUK.
It is what our plan, please let me know if I needs to rearrange...
1. Start at Budapest, (3 night suggest by JBod), Stay at IHG or Marriott if the hotel expensive
2. we will take train to Bratislava, Slovakia (1 night) ... need hotel suggestion please
3. train to Krakow (3 night)
4. train to Warsaw (3 night)
5. train to Gdansk, if flight, which airline? BA ? for (1 night) ? any hotel suggestion of paid cash ?
6. train to Brno (2 night) any hotel suggestion for cash or better use points?
7. train to Prague (3 night)

Thanks Again !

AlicorporateUK Jun 9, 2019 12:38 pm

Your plan is sound however I would tweak it slightly as follows: Kraków to Gdańsk (plane, the airline is LOT and it takes less than an hour); 2 nights in Gdańsk (I would go for a property on the seafront e.g. Marriott or even the Novotel will do nicely, both hotels are a few hundreds yards away from each other) so that you’ve got time not only to enjoy the glorious Baltic coastline away from the chaos of Kraków, Warsaw etc. but to explore the old town as well (truly worth it) and, if you fancy a bit of party atmosphere, Sopot is literally 15/20 minutes walk from either the Marriott or the Novotel (Novotel Marina); Gdańsk to Warsaw (again, LOT Polish Airlines or ~3 hours on the train: if you book first class or pierwsza klasa you will pay a small ‘premium’ but you’ll enjoy 2 free drinks and a decent-ish hot meal, there are normally 3 or even 4 choices on the menu); 2 nights in Warsaw and whatever next to follow.

G