Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Immigration Clearance Time @ AMS (Schiphol)

Immigration Clearance Time @ AMS (Schiphol)

Old May 31, 19, 3:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Posts: 272
Immigration Clearance Time @ AMS (Schiphol)

Does anyone have any recent experience? Amsterdam is our destination, we are not trying to connect to another flight. We will be arriving July 2 so I expect it to be busier than when I was there in October. 2 US passport holders. I'm trying to determine if Blacklane offers any value since this is a fairly short trip (5 days) for my husband's birthday.
hipquest is offline  
Old May 31, 19, 9:56 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: AMS/RTM
Posts: 2,404
It's always a lottery at AMS. It can be 10 minutes or two hours depending on how many flights arrive and if the e-gates are open and working.

I don't know what blacklane is but AFAIK there is no way to skip the line.
malmostoso is offline  
Old Jun 1, 19, 4:08 am
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,653
Black lane is a car company.

Any car company worth it’s salt will happily take a booking based on scheduled time of arrival and then monitor the flight on the day then allows 30 minutes for yiu to clear immigration etc.

I’ve not seen any fast track immigration lanes at AMS (other then Privum but that’s not applicable for the OP)

in my experience it’s nit the wait for immigration that’s the problem at AMS it’s the slow delivery of bags.
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Jun 1, 19, 5:52 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TPA
Programs: DL MM, Plat; Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 82
I was there the end of April, a fairly busy time because the tulips are at their height. I landed on a Wednesday about 12:40 PM on DL and it took about 5 minutes to clear immigration. I was in Delta 1 so I got to Immigration quickly. If you do not have a connecting flight, you have no pressure.
dlffla is offline  
Old Jun 2, 19, 10:29 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Black lane is a car company.

Any car company worth itís salt will happily take a booking based on scheduled time of arrival and then monitor the flight on the day then allows 30 minutes for yiu to clear immigration etc.

Iíve not seen any fast track immigration lanes at AMS (other then Privum but thatís not applicable for the OP)

in my experience itís nit the wait for immigration thatís the problem at AMS itís the slow delivery of bags.
Blacklane also offers BlacklanePass to expedite immigration/customs. We won't have any checked bags so at least we don't have to worry about that wait.

Originally Posted by dlffla View Post
I was there the end of April, a fairly busy time because the tulips are at their height. I landed on a Wednesday about 12:40 PM on DL and it took about 5 minutes to clear immigration. I was in Delta 1 so I got to Immigration quickly. If you do not have a connecting flight, you have no pressure.
Does flying in a premium cabin help like it does at LHR or was it just because you were off the plane 1st? We're in J on AA.
hipquest is offline  
Old Jun 3, 19, 6:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TPA
Programs: DL MM, Plat; Marriott LT Plat
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by hipquest View Post
Blacklane also offers BlacklanePass to expedite immigration/customs. We won't have any checked bags so at least we don't have to worry about that wait.



Does flying in a premium cabin help like it does at LHR or was it just because you were off the plane 1st? We're in J on AA.
No, you do not get an expedited clearing as in LHR.
dlffla is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 2:56 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 952
Look carefully at the BlacklanePass wording - IMHO 'expedite' for $200 on AMS arrival consists of accompanying you to immigration but once there I don't recall a Priority line - other than Privium which was correctly excluded by UKtravelbear since it requires pre-registratiion.

Same vague 'expedite' offer on other sites even like Schiphol's Meet & Assist which at least gets you a buggy ride
farci is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:17 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CPT,AMS
Posts: 3,511
There is no priority line in AMS, however crew & disabled PAX always cut to the front of the queue, between privium and the first booth, the meet & greet service might be able to do the same, but better to enquire in advance.
Ditto is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 4:18 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by farci View Post
Look carefully at the BlacklanePass wording - IMHO 'expedite' for $200 on AMS arrival consists of accompanying you to immigration but once there I don't recall a Priority line - other than Privium which was correctly excluded by UKtravelbear since it requires pre-registratiion.

Same vague 'expedite' offer on other sites even like Schiphol's Meet & Assist which at least gets you a buggy ride
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
There is no priority line in AMS, however crew & disabled PAX always cut to the front of the queue, between privium and the first booth, the meet & greet service might be able to do the same, but better to enquire in advance.
Thanks for the info and advice. Husband and I will be carry-on only (at least on arrival ). We used a paid arrival service in Barbados a few years ago and it was well worth the $150 price (friends travelling with us, who decided not to pay for the service, were in line for over 2.5 hours) but $300 would only be justified if it was pretty much guaranteed to save a couple hours or more.
hipquest is offline  
Old Jun 4, 19, 5:35 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,653
Where are you travelling to once you get to AMS?

Public transport in the Netherlands is excellent and why waste money on a car - that you can spend on all sorts of other stuff - when you can get to your destination by Train?
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Jun 8, 19, 4:06 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NC
Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Where are you travelling to once you get to AMS?

Public transport in the Netherlands is excellent and why waste money on a car - that you can spend on all sorts of other stuff - when you can get to your destination by Train?
You are right, the Netherlands does have excellent public transport. We are not using the Blacklane car service for this trip. We will be taking a train from AMS and then walking from the train station to our hotel. We have experience with Amsterdam, just not in the high season.
hipquest is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread