Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Immigration Clearance Time @ AMS (Schiphol)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX

Does anyone have any recent experience? Amsterdam is our destination, we are not trying to connect to another flight. We will be arriving July 2 so I expect it to be busier than when I was there in October. 2 US passport holders. I'm trying to determine if Blacklane offers any value since this is a fairly short trip (5 days) for my husband's birthday.
Old May 31, 2019, 9:56 pm

It's always a lottery at AMS. It can be 10 minutes or two hours depending on how many flights arrive and if the e-gates are open and working.

I don't know what blacklane is but AFAIK there is no way to skip the line.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Black lane is a car company.

Any car company worth it’s salt will happily take a booking based on scheduled time of arrival and then monitor the flight on the day then allows 30 minutes for yiu to clear immigration etc.

I’ve not seen any fast track immigration lanes at AMS (other then Privum but that’s not applicable for the OP)

in my experience it’s nit the wait for immigration that’s the problem at AMS it’s the slow delivery of bags.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
I was there the end of April, a fairly busy time because the tulips are at their height. I landed on a Wednesday about 12:40 PM on DL and it took about 5 minutes to clear immigration. I was in Delta 1 so I got to Immigration quickly. If you do not have a connecting flight, you have no pressure.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Black lane is a car company.

Any car company worth it’s salt will happily take a booking based on scheduled time of arrival and then monitor the flight on the day then allows 30 minutes for yiu to clear immigration etc.

I’ve not seen any fast track immigration lanes at AMS (other then Privum but that’s not applicable for the OP)

in my experience it’s nit the wait for immigration that’s the problem at AMS it’s the slow delivery of bags.
Blacklane also offers BlacklanePass to expedite immigration/customs. We won't have any checked bags so at least we don't have to worry about that wait.

Originally Posted by dlffla
I was there the end of April, a fairly busy time because the tulips are at their height. I landed on a Wednesday about 12:40 PM on DL and it took about 5 minutes to clear immigration. I was in Delta 1 so I got to Immigration quickly. If you do not have a connecting flight, you have no pressure.
Does flying in a premium cabin help like it does at LHR or was it just because you were off the plane 1st? We're in J on AA.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hipquest
Blacklane also offers BlacklanePass to expedite immigration/customs. We won't have any checked bags so at least we don't have to worry about that wait.

Does flying in a premium cabin help like it does at LHR or was it just because you were off the plane 1st? We're in J on AA.
No, you do not get an expedited clearing as in LHR.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:56 am

Look carefully at the BlacklanePass wording - IMHO 'expedite' for $200 on AMS arrival consists of accompanying you to immigration but once there I don't recall a Priority line - other than Privium which was correctly excluded by UKtravelbear since it requires pre-registratiion.

Same vague 'expedite' offer on other sites even like Schiphol's Meet & Assist which at least gets you a buggy ride
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:17 am

There is no priority line in AMS, however crew & disabled PAX always cut to the front of the queue, between privium and the first booth, the meet & greet service might be able to do the same, but better to enquire in advance.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
Look carefully at the BlacklanePass wording - IMHO 'expedite' for $200 on AMS arrival consists of accompanying you to immigration but once there I don't recall a Priority line - other than Privium which was correctly excluded by UKtravelbear since it requires pre-registratiion.

Same vague 'expedite' offer on other sites even like Schiphol's Meet & Assist which at least gets you a buggy ride
Originally Posted by Ditto
There is no priority line in AMS, however crew & disabled PAX always cut to the front of the queue, between privium and the first booth, the meet & greet service might be able to do the same, but better to enquire in advance.
Thanks for the info and advice. Husband and I will be carry-on only (at least on arrival ). We used a paid arrival service in Barbados a few years ago and it was well worth the $150 price (friends travelling with us, who decided not to pay for the service, were in line for over 2.5 hours) but $300 would only be justified if it was pretty much guaranteed to save a couple hours or more.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Where are you travelling to once you get to AMS?

Public transport in the Netherlands is excellent and why waste money on a car - that you can spend on all sorts of other stuff - when you can get to your destination by Train?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Where are you travelling to once you get to AMS?

Public transport in the Netherlands is excellent and why waste money on a car - that you can spend on all sorts of other stuff - when you can get to your destination by Train?
You are right, the Netherlands does have excellent public transport. We are not using the Blacklane car service for this trip. We will be taking a train from AMS and then walking from the train station to our hotel. We have experience with Amsterdam, just not in the high season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.