Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Keukenhoff/Amsterdam in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Keukenhoff/Amsterdam in the rain?

So after planning a trip to Amsterdam and Begium for nearly a year, we arrive Friday and the weather looks awful. After sunny and 70's all week the 4 days we are in town this weekend appear to be 80% rain, windy and 50 degrees. We have a trip to Keukenhoff planned as well as various other tours. Are these going to be washouts? Any recommendations on what to do otherwise in bad weather there?
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Cool and rainy describes most of the days I've spent in Amsterdam. Both the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum are very good indoor activities. I've heard the Heineken Experience is interesting, but haven't done it myself. And as I recall, the canal tours are in covered boats so that's still ok.

But ultimately, it's probably best not to change your plans much and just take an umbrella.

Last edited by JBord; Apr 24, 2019 at 6:23 am Reason: spelling
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
there are literally dozens of threads on the theme of 'what to do in Amsterdam' so have a look for those. Plenty of suggestions on museums etc etc

But it's rain at the end of the day. You can't let it spoil your holiday.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:50 am

Locals consider the Heineken Experience to be one of the biggest tourist traps in Amsterdam. It’s right up there with the “Cheese Museum” (a cheese shop disguised as a museum selling overpriced cheese to tourists) and the “Tulip museum” (a shop selling tulip bulbs in the wrong season disguised as a museum). The Heineken Experience is a marketing tour thru a building that used to house the Heineken brewery. If you want to visit an actual brewery, consider brewery ‘t IJ which is located inside a wind mill!
The forecast indeed shows some rain, but in the Netherlands it almost never rains an entire day. And as we locals say, there is no such thing as bad weather, there only is bad clothing. Make sure to bring a waterproof jacket and sturdy waterproof shoes and you should be okay.
Also, are you aware that this Saturday is Kingsday, our national holiday? The whole city will be one big celebration. More info see here. https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/see-an...ions/kings-day
Old Apr 24, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, Hilton Diamond, Accor Silver
We have visited Keukenhof a few times now with our last visit April 14. It has rained at times but Keukenhof has several pavilion/exhibit halls where we would duck in during the showers.

The halls are large enough that you could spend an hour or so inside if needed.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:17 am

You will be fine whatever you do. These are not tropical rainstorms but mostly showers, though I agree Saturday does not look too good at the moment. Bring an umbrella and wear waterproof shoes and you should be fine.

And do spend Saturday in Amsterdam for King's Day, go to the Vondelpark and enjoy the orange madness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.