Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam to Paris by train...on a Sunday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

I am looking to get from Amsterdam to Paris by train, but am seeing some odd things when I look at Thalys I don't see any routings on Sunday, June 9. Ditto for Eurostar. Is there something about Sunday that takes a fairly frequent weekday route down to non-existent? Flying is an option, but not a great one IMO.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:13 pm

Nothing special about Sunday--there are normally plenty of trains--but there's construction on the Dutch section of the tracks on 9 June, so Thalys isn't running north of Brussels.

https://www.thalys.com/be/en/traffic-info/24273

You can get there from here, but you'll have to take a Dutch domestic train to Breda, then the "slow" train to Brussels before getting on Thalys to Paris.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure if this is petinent, but June 9 is Whit Sunday and Monday, the 10th is a National Holiday in Observance. I don't know what Whit Sunday is, but I moved my arrival from June 10 to the 11th because of the holiday.
​​​​​​
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thanks folks. Looks like we either push back a day or we fly. I think I'm going to opt for flying as of now; off to do some research on airport experiences, check in requirements, etc.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:16 am

I wouldn't bother with flying. It seems you have to change in Brussels Midi which is an easy thing to do. Depends of course on how much luggage you have, but I'd prefer that over flying.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I wouldn't bother with flying. It seems you have to change in Brussels Midi which is an easy thing to do. Depends of course on how much luggage you have, but I'd prefer that over flying.
Yes. But there are no trains on June 9th so airport here we come.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by dingo
Yes. But there are no trains on June 9th so airport here we come.
Well there *are* trains but they do require more than one transfer
UKtravelbear likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rickg523
Not sure if this is petinent, but June 9 is Whit Sunday and Monday, the 10th is a National Holiday in Observance. I don't know what Whit Sunday is, but I moved my arrival from June 10 to the 11th because of the holiday.
​​​​​​
Whit Sunday is also known at Pentecost the 7th Sunday after Easter. Some countries have a public holiday the Monday afterwards (e.g. Netherlands but not the UK) .

As there are less commuter traffic then it's a good opportunity to do extensive infrastructure works for an extended weekend period because it inconveniences less people.
farci likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.