Wiki Posts
Search

Need Suggestions - 48 Hours in Amsterdam & Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
Need Suggestions - 48 Hours in Amsterdam & Barcelona

How fun is this going to be! Next week I'm spending 2 days in Amsterdam and 2 days in Barcelona. I'm looking for some ideas for a solo 50 year old male. I've never been; is there a site or two I MUST SEE? I't's more about relaxing, drinking and eating than exploring too many museums or castles. Thanks!!!

Amsterdam - Staying at the Doubletree Centraal Station

Barcelona - Staying just off Las Ramblas
Old Sep 10, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
there are certainly several threads about things to do in Amsterdam so have a look for those

The I Amsterdam website also has a load of suggestions.
ccerts and Analise like this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I was in Barcelona for not quite 48 hours in January. I spent the time wandering around, doing very little of the traditional site seeing. Granted it was much less crowded than you will see.

I would say the Gothic quarter for sure, and from there you can wander down Las Ramblas. I would go through the St Joseph market.

From there I wandered past the Colombus monument (which gives a great view of Las Ramblas and the city if you go up it) over to Maremagnum where I sat waterside at the Tapa Tapa restaurant sipping wine and enjoying the spectacular water views.
From there I strolled around the marina to the beach. Lots of stuff going on there. I walked down the beach past Port Olympic and sat and had a drink at one of the many open air bars overlooking that part of the beach.
There is a public park close by. There was a large group of people dancing on the band stand. Great view of the fountain (cascada monumental guia.barcelona.cat ) A little stand has some tasty drinks. Try their fresh squeezed OJ.

Will add more later.
ccerts likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are doing any of the Gaudi stuff, they are expensive and make sure you buy tickets in advance. Lines are long for all of them.
You can go to Guell park https://www.parkguell.es/en/guia-turo-las-tres-creus , climb to the top of the lookout. Great views. On the way down you can go past the house where he lived and overlook the famed Gaudi experience without paying. The climb up to the top is a bit strenuous. To even get to the park can be a challenge. There is a series of escalators on the east side of the park. Google maps takes you on a route that avoids them. Found that out about half way up the hill.

If you like beer, there is a great beer bar in the Gothic quarter, Kælderkold. There is also a couple places in the market on Las Ramblas that sells a great variety of spanish and other beers.
ccerts likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amsterdam

Advice I gave about Amsterdam on another thread:

Go to Vondel Park, their version of Central Park. Either stroll around or even rent a bike nearby. At the west end of Vondel Park is a great outdoor cafe, with good beers. http://www.vondeltuin.nl/
In the Leidesplein Square,which is nearby, there are a collection of Brown cafes with outdoor seating. Brown cafes explained here.
Finally, my favorite bar, that serves a great variety of Dutch only beers is Proeflokaal Arendsnest. They have a small outdoor setting next to a canal.

If you do go to the Ann Frank house, buy tickets in advance.
Ride the boats around on the canals. A great way to see lots of Amsterdam. The park where the I am Amsterdam sign is is pretty nice and there are museums and other activities there.

If you go to the red light district so you can say you have seen it, go during the day. It is madness at night.
ccerts likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
You'll get more answers on Barcelona within the Spain and Portugal forum most likely, but happy to provide my suggestions: Visit something of Gaudi (an architect who designed many buildings there) - the Sagrada Familia Cathedral (get tickets in advance if you choose that), the Parc Guell, La Pedrera or Casa Batllo. Aside from that if your goal isn't to do much in the way of museums, I would say just stroll around a lot - neighborhoods of Barri Gotic, El Born, La Barceloneta (by the beach) and up along Passeig de Gracia will give you a good taste of the city and be within walking distance of where you are staying.
You can eat very very well in Barcelona! My two favorite restaurants on a long list of favorites are Paco Meralgo and Lolita Taperia. Weather should be excellent. You could also go for rooftop drinks somewhere with nice views of the city like Hotel 1898 or Barcelo Raval, or down along the water. Have a wonderful time!
ccerts and pbiflyer like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Amsterdam in 48 hours from someone near your age - First thing when you get there, take a canal tour by boat. Lots of them lined up by Centraal station near your hotel. Then pick a museum, either the Rijksmuseum or Van Gogh. Even if you're not a fan of museums (like me), these are must-sees in my opinion. Walk through the red light district (easy walk from the Doubletree). Plan to leave your hotel early for dinner, head toward the Jordaan area, and just wander around the little shops and pubs until you find one you like. It's a wonderful walking neighborhood which is why I recommend leaving early. Eat dinner and have some drinks in a brown cafe (equivalent of a British pub/American gastropub). If they happen to have bitterballen, try an order!

That was not necessarily in order, just stream of consciousness.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: SW, MR, CHASE
So many great suggestions! I've added them all to google maps favorites. Looks like I'm going to eat and drink well!

And Kaelderkold in Barcelona? Nice! Looks like great beer and only 99m (1 minute) from my hotel. My nights will end there.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I noticed you are from Milwaukee.
The Brown bars in Amsterdam will feel like home if you frequent some of the older taverns in Milwaukee. Good food, good drinks, a good local hangout.
ccerts likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I noticed you are from Milwaukee.
The Brown bars in Amsterdam will feel like home if you frequent some of the older taverns in Milwaukee. Good food, good drinks, a good local hangout.
Good catch. A Milwaukeean should feel at home. Good beer bars on every corner, easy access to northern European food, and everyone speaks English with but with an accent. The only thing missing is the Fonzie statue.

(disclosure - I grew up in Wisconsin, so I'm allowed to poke fun!)
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea what you are talking about. I've never closed Wolski's, done mini bowling at Koz's, post gamed at the 4th base (the original, not the second one that was featured in Major League), or drank under the fluorescent lights of the National Liquor bar.
ccerts likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:46 am

Everything Gaudi in Barcelona is worth it, especially if you have a soft spot for a more dramatic expression of artistic inspirations.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Re: Amsterdam

Is the Albert Cuypmarkt worthwhile? https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/see-an...bert-cuypmarkt

Anyone been on a Those Dam Boat Guys canal cruise? https://www.thosedamboatguys.com

I realize English speaking improv isn't really an Amsterdam thing but curious if anyone has been to Boom Chicago? https://boomchicago.nl

TIA
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:09 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ccerts
I't's more about relaxing, drinking and eating ...
When in Amsterdam then, consider a rijstaffel meal https://eatyourworld.com/destination...eat/rijsttafel

Best Indonesian Food Amsterdam thread: Best Indonesian food in Amsterdam?
-

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Sep 19, 2018 at 7:25 am Reason: add existing Flyertalk thread
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Re: Amsterdam

Is the Albert Cuypmarkt worthwhile? https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/see-an...bert-cuypmarkt

Anyone been on a Those Dam Boat Guys canal cruise? https://www.thosedamboatguys.com

I realize English speaking improv isn't really an Amsterdam thing but curious if anyone has been to Boom Chicago? https://boomchicago.nl

TIA
The Cuypmarkt is worth a walk-through, and get a stroopwafel while there. I took your link and it says "...hours of entertaining shopping and browsing..."
I'd say it's more like a single hour, tops (but that's me). It's in a fun area though, so enough to do if you get tired of it.

Haven't been to the others. I have to assume Boom Chicago isn't that much different than what we have here in Chicago though.
Sweet Willie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.