Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Indonesian food in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Best Indonesian food in Amsterdam?

What are your opinions? I’ve been told Blauw is really good but I’d like a few options when I visit in January. Doesn't necessarily have to be a restaurant (I live in the land of food trucks) just great food that you'd otherwise have to fly to southeast Asia to find.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm sure this will stir debate. I can suggest:

Kantjil an de Tijger near Spui. The Rijstaffel is overpriced but the individual dishes are generous. Dutch-style Indonesian - milder, for white people

Srikandi, Stadhouderskade 31. Somewhat cheaper and the rijstaffels are much more reasonably priced. More original-strength, caveat emptor

Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Are they familiar with the American custom of boxing up whatever you haven't eaten to take with you?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:12 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by verdinas
...but I’d like a few options when I visit in January.
Did you make your trip and dine at an Indonesian restaurant? Please share if so, thanks
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Did you make your trip and dine at an Indonesian restaurant? Please share if so, thanks
I am not the original poster, but I went to Kantjil & de Tijger a couple weeks ago and can confirm both that it was tasty and that they will box up your leftovers for you (which is good, since the vegetarian nasi rames I got was about three meals worth of food!)
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Not the OP, but I preferred Blauw to Kantjil & de Tiger. I agree with Flatlander's assessment of Kantjil an de Tiger.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:10 am

Of course the best Indonesian food in The Netherlands is in The Hague, 45 mins by train from Amsterdam, but if it has to be Amsterdam I agree Kantjil and Blauw are good and centrally located. Jun and Blue Pepper are also good options.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by dutchgirlDH
Of course the best Indonesian food in The Netherlands is in The Hague, 45 mins by train from Amsterdam, but if it has to be Amsterdam I agree Kantjil and Blauw are good and centrally located. Jun and Blue Pepper are also good options.
You can't just post that without a couple suggestions for The Hague!

(as someone who's in R'dam and Den Haag a lot but rarely makes it farther north, this is relevant to my interests )
dutchgirlDH likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
You can't just post that without a couple suggestions for The Hague!

(as someone who's in R'dam and Den Haag a lot but rarely makes it farther north, this is relevant to my interests )
Ok then
In The Hague I recommend Didong, it's in a residential area but easy enough with public transport. They also have things that are more unusual to find. If you don't know what to choose take on of their massive nasi rames dishes, you won't be disappointed. And if you are in that area before 1800 on Weds-Sat you need to visit Toko Semarang which is almost next door (it used to be owned by the same people). They have a great selection of snacks and food to eat at home, and it tastes like it does in Indonesia.

A more classic option, but in the same area of The Hague, is Keraton Damai, a good option for rijsttafel and a very classic interior as well.

In the center of town Istana is ok, very good if you like sate as they have many different kinds of sate.

Don't go to Garoeda, it looks great but seems to be a tourist trap and I've never liked the food there.

For Rotterdam I'd go Surinamese rather than Indonesian ^
der_saeufer likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
I enjoyed both meals at Tempo Doeloe, which was a short walk from the IC Amstel, with good flavours and a nice selection for the rijsttafel.

The portions weren't quite as generous as I am used to in Indonesia, where I'd happily enjoy 20 sticks of satay in a sitting, but it was a nice contrast to the pancakes that are so good in Amsterdam!
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:43 am

I was hoping for some more affordable options, but we were running out of time on our trip last week and ended up at Blue Pepper. It was rather pricey, but the variation between the five courses and the overall quantity was rather high. They only have two set menus for dinner (regular and vegetarian), as well as an option of a wine paring. All the dishes were quite delicious and the elegant presentation was as expected for fine dining. My husband and I were both stuffed even before the second dessert came out. Our friends ended up sharing a set course and still walked away satisfied.

Tempo Doeloe was another restaurant I wanted to try, after seeing the impressive spread on No Reservations, but it was too far out of the way at the time. There seems to be a dearth of Indonesian food on the lower end of the dining spectrum, which is a bit surprising considering their long (and sordid) connection. Next time I am in Amsterdam, I will definitely put more effort in locating other options. We did pass a noodle place that offered to-go boxes when we first arrived, but I was not able to find it when we needed it. It may have been a chain, but they offered a good selection of basic Indo food.
Sweet Willie likes this.

Last edited by downinit; Aug 13, 2018 at 7:49 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by downinit
. There seems to be a dearth of Indonesian food on the lower end of the dining spectrum, which is a bit surprising considering their long connection.
Most restaurants mentioned on this thread serve the best Indonesian food in a restaurant setting. Of course there are cheaper ones as well, but generally the food will not be as special.
Affordable Indonesian food is to be had at so called toko's, which are usually a take away option though might have one or two tables. Usually they will heat it up for you if you don't have facilities where you stay. They will also sell Indonesian ingredients and sweets. This is where many Dutch families get their Indonesian food fix.
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:59 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
May I please ask if there are any opinions/feedback on Sampurna in Amsterdam, especially compared to any of the other restaurants above? Thanks!
Sweet Willie likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:28 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Not the OP, but I preferred Blauw to Kantjil & de Tiger. I agree with Flatlander's assessment of Kantjil an de Tiger.
Thanks, I have a reservation at Kantjil & de Tiger for this Friday night, I'll cancel and switch to another choice
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:17 am

Apologies for the necroposting but I had earmarked this thread a long time ago and I finally tried some of the restaurants mentioned.

Originally Posted by dutchgirlDH
In the center of town Istana is ok, very good if you like sate as they have many different kinds of sate.
Istana is really really good. In the very centre of town, it has a clear and non intimidating menu that makes it easy to approach Indonesian food. Oh, and the food itself is fantastic.

Don't go to Garoeda, it looks great but seems to be a tourist trap and I've never liked the food there.
Garoeda is indeed a bit of a trap, and food is underwhelming.

Next door is Poentjak which is also not the best but is one of the few Indonesian restaurants open for lunch and serves a decent rijsttafel, which for the uninitiated is always a good option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.