Reload this Page >

Passport stamp question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passport stamp question

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The OP is entering the UK, not "the EU". There is no "entry to the EU" stamp in any passport as "the EU" is not a recognised border
Old May 17, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I don't know about the laws of the UK/EU, but in the U.S. a citizen must use their U.S. passport to enter.

U.S. nationals, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport to travel to or from a country other than the United States is not inconsistent with U.S. law.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...tionality.html
Old May 17, 2018, 8:39 am

A passport stamp in the UK signifies inspection and clearance by immigration controls. EU citizens (regardless of the passport they travel with or present at immigration) are not subject to immigration controls and therefore should not be issued passport stamps, even on a US passport, if the officer is aware of the EU citizenship. Some officers will however stamp a passport with the handwritten "courtesy stamp" endorsement if they are in a good mood and are asked nicely.
:D! likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The OP is entering the UK, not "the EU". There is no "entry to the EU" stamp in any passport as "the EU" is not a recognised border
Well they are entering the EU (for now), but the EU is composed of several separate immigration areas, which include the Schengen Area, the Common Travel Area, Gibraltar, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, French Guiana, Reunion...

Originally Posted by dcmike
I don't know about the laws of the UK/EU, but in the U.S. a citizen must use their U.S. passport to enter.
Each EU country has its own rules. The UK doesn't have such a rule. While the US does, a US citizen can't be denied entry even if they don't have a US passport, if they make it to a US port of entry.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by :D!

Each EU country has its own rules. The UK doesn't have such a rule. While the US does, a US citizen can't be denied entry even if they don't have a US passport, if they make it to a US port of entry.
Totally agree that the EU is different, just the US example would make me nervous in the OP's case. That and that IE is part of the CTA with the UK, I wouldn't mess around just to collect a passport stamp.
Old May 26, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The OP is entering the EU at a UK entry point. I seem to recall that the stamps have the EU-stars and "EU" in the star-circle. Next April you'll be correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.