Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Europe Favorite Destinations

Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

If you had 1 week in Europe, what place(s) would you spend your time visiting?

And/Or

If you had 2 weeks in Europe, what places/cities/country would you spend your time visiting?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by useyourname

And/Or

If you had 2 weeks in Europe, what places/cities/country would you spend your time visiting?
Your question(s) are unanswerable as written.
You might as well ask "how long is a piece of string"?
Europe is a big place with many countries.
You need to be more specific: interests, budget, time of year traveling, any limitations on travel, etc etc
dj_jay_smith and wxman22 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:49 pm

And/Or

Pal, there are members of FT who actually live in Europe. Your question is actually directed to Non-Europeans and is simply not answerable. And even if a few do tell you which one their favourite country would be for a week, what kind of usable information would this provide you with?
:D! likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by KLouis
Pal, there are members of FT who actually live in Europe. Your question is actually directed to Non-Europeans and is simply not answerable. And even if a few do tell you which one their favourite country would be for a week, what kind of usable information would this provide you with?
That's not very helpful

Nonetheless, there are a lot of places in Europe to visit. Assuming we are staying continental, I'd visit Florence and Amsterdam, based on my experiences.
muji likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
That's not very helpful

Nonetheless, there are a lot of places in Europe to visit. Assuming we are staying continental, I'd visit Florence and Amsterdam, based on my experiences.
Of course it was not helpful. How can you give any kind of helpful advice when somebody asks a question that general as the OP. And, by the way, what makes your answer "helpful": Why these two cities (or any other for that matter) and not others? See my point?
wxman22 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Your question(s) are unanswerable as written.
You might as well ask "how long is a piece of string"?
Europe is a big place with many countries.
You need to be more specific: interests, budget, time of year traveling, any limitations on travel, etc etc
I would add, have you been anywhere in Europe before?

But with no information, the best advice I can give the OP is pick a region, don't go flying to all corners of the continent. Stick with a couple countries/cities that are connected by train rides of <3 hours.
dcd likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a Brit, and not regarding the UK as a place I would wish to visit on a special holiday, I would have to say the answer to one week and to two weeks is Italy. For one week, I would suggest Rome and Tuscany. For two weeks, I would suggest Florence, Umbria, Rome and Sicily. Either way you'd miss out on so much that Italy can offer, but it would be crazy adding other countries as well.

Now, if the OP has particular language skills or ties to one country, that would change the matter but for food, history, culture and relaxation, IHMO Italy can't be beat.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner

And/Or

Depending upon the time of year, my mood, and what kind of trip I wanted I'd say maybe the highlands of Scotland or Rome or Sardinia or St. Petersburg or the Pays Basque or Paris or Brittany or Croatia or Poland or northern Portugal or London or Edinburgh or the Alps or Stockholm or my friends' house in Gent or ....
FWIW, namely not much.

Last edited by Giggleswick; Jan 12, 2018 at 1:18 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Actually, although I agree the question as asked is pointless, I'm gonna go in another direction and say, 'that's easy to answer.'

I would go to somewhere that I was interested in visiting. Works for me.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: *G
spain. done.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

For me - Spain, Portugal, France!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Two weeks - Krakow, Prague, Budapest, perhaps Vienna and Berlin.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:03 am

Actually, the question is not unanswerable, since the OP asks "If you had 1 week in Europe, what place(s) would you spend your time visiting". The answer for me would be one of the Greek islands, maybe a Crete/Santorini combo. That's my answer right now... I might change it if answered 3 months from now.
The problem is for the OP... how does he/she assess my or your answer.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Two weeks - Krakow, Prague, Budapest, perhaps Vienna and Berlin.
I have roughly 40 weeks per year in Europe so the OP's question is really a hypothetical one for me. But if I really only had a week or two, there's an argument to be made for skipping at least some of the places mentioned by the poster above. Same goes for other tourism hotspots such as Florence, Rome, Paris, Barcelona, London, and Amsterdam.

Those places are so overrun by tourists. For a more authentic experience, I'd spend at least part of the time elsewhere. For example, I'd recommend Wroclaw, Bratislava, Utrecht, and Aachen.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: *G
Tier 1: Spain and Portugal
Tier 2: Italy and non-Paris FranceTier 3: everything else.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.