Prague questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Prague questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: most of them
I didn't arrive by air. I tried the metro stations but the kiosks were unmanned or had signs saying they didn't sell any tickets. The old fashioned ticket machines didn't sell passes. It was quite frustrating.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
Tram up the hill & walking down is definitely the way to go.

As for English, we spent 5 days in Prague last September & had no language troubles either in Old Town or in other parts of the city.
Well, I'll vote alone for walking up the hill then. I enjoy walking, and I didn't think it was particularly difficult for being uphill. Plus some good stops to see over the city on the way, at least the way I went up. I went down a different route, and both times wasn't really sure where I was on the map.

I agree, I don't think there will be much trouble with English in most places a tourist is likely to go. Not that everyone will speak English, but either someone will speak a few transactional words, or you'll get by with the old point and hand signal method, as I did at one of the sausage/snack stands.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:54 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by JBord

I didn't think it was particularly difficult for being uphill.
Agree there, it's not particularly steep nor tall. In fact, most of the time I walk and only took the funicular for the novelty. Then again, I tend to walk most of the time ....
Old Jan 30, 2018, 9:21 am

Well, I'll vote alone for walking up the hill then.
I will admit that there is one major advantage to walking up the hill: at the end of the trip, you will find yourself at the Strahov Monastery brew-pub. After getting off the tram, I regretted finding myself there at 10am, which felt a tad early to knock back a few.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
I will admit that there is one major advantage to walking up the hill: at the end of the trip, you will find yourself at the Strahov Monastery brew-pub. After getting off the tram, I regretted finding myself there at 10am, which felt a tad early to knock back a few.
Wish I would have known about that! Next time I guess.

And it's only too early if they aren't open!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by EmailKid
I'll have to disagree with my learned fellow traveler here, as I don't think Prague is Vienna, where English is widely spoken by a lot of people.

In Prague you will find a few who can speak it outside the hospitality industry, including out of the way restaurants outside of tourist areas. It's not hard to get by / get along, but English just isn't that common, especially older generations.
I would agree. English is not very common with the older generations.

I know very little Czech (good day, please, thank you, beer, coffee, restroom, "I don't understand Czech. English, please?" and a requisite knowledge of the various food dishes, having grown up with relatives that cooked those). I could manage, but it was extremely helpful to be with Mr. Kipper, who is semi-fluent in Czech. He was able to buy train tickets for any of our excursions, handle paying dining tabs, etc., without having to wait for someone who spoke English. Also, once people realized he could speak more than a few words of Czech, people went out of their way to help us or be hospitable to us.

As far as what to do, I loved Prague Castle at night. St. Vitas was breathtaking. My suggestion is that, as you are walking through the little entryway (like a walkway through a building) before you get to St. Vitas, look down at the ground. Only once you are out of that, then look up. You will be greeted with an amazing sight. Generally, throughout the Czech Republic, always "look up" as you'll see artwork and other things you might otherwise miss.

You mentioned history as an interest. Go to St. Cyril and Methodius Cathedral. Stop at the outside, then enter the crypt where the men who assassinated Reinhard Heydrich died. There is also a monument to Operation Anthropoid at the intersection where he was assassinated.

If you are familiar with Jan Palach, there is a memorial to him in Wenceslas Square.

If you would like a relaxing afternoon, Letna Beer Garden is nice. It has a gorgeous view.

For tips and suggestions on Prague, I highly recommend Honest Guide. Their YouTube videos are usually quick, they teach you a Czech word or two at the end of each episode, and they really cut through a lot of the touristy stuff and tell you where the locals go (and where they don't go, so you can avoid some of the scams).

As far as day trips, we took the train to Plzen and stayed overnight. Patton liberated Plzen, and they celebrate that.
beltway likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Try Kantyna. It may not look like much but it's consistently the best meat I've had in Prague. For some reason the beer is tastier here than anywhere else.

https://www.kantyna.ambi.cz/en/
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:01 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wish I would have known about that! Next time I guess.

And it's only too early if they aren't open!
Non-stop bars are not unusual in Prague. There was one near our hotel, a bit south of the Centrum. Supposedly they stop serving for 30 minutes, every 12 hours, to allow the staff to 'catch up' and have a bit of a break. But the place doesn't close and the drinkers can continue to drink. Not only that, but when we were there two years ago, the (excellent Czech) beer was only 23 crowns / half-litre: less than 1 € !

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Try Kantyna. It may not look like much but it's consistently the best meat I've had in Prague. For some reason the beer is tastier here than anywhere else.

Then there's U Medvidku.
Old May 11, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Everything Ambiente is great. Kantyna, Lokal, Nase Maso... Everything.

Originally Posted by henry999
Non-stop bars are not unusual in Prague. There was one near our hotel, a bit south of the Centrum. Supposedly they stop serving for 30 minutes, every 12 hours, to allow the staff to 'catch up' and have a bit of a break. But the place doesn't close and the drinkers can continue to drink. Not only that, but when we were there two years ago, the (excellent Czech) beer was only 23 crowns / half-litre: less than 1 € !
You can always meet interesting people in non-stops. In both qualities of the word.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.