Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Long to Connect in CDG on separate tickets

Old May 13, 18, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

I will be flying from the USA to Paris on Delta and then connecting to Lufthansa on to Germany on separate tickets flying in business class. My connection options are 3h, 5h40m or 7h. On the return the options are 2h50m, 4h35m or 8h15m. I was leaning towards 5h40m going and 4h35m returning. I will probably have checked luggage and will need to claim it and recheck it in. Would this be possible in such a time frame?

Thanks!
Old May 14, 18, 2:50 am

Yes, that's plenty of time, to be honest even 2H50/3H is probably enough.
Old May 14, 18, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
OP you are not connecting as you are on separate tickets.

DL are highly unlikely to check through baggage to LH on separate tickets so you would have to pick them up at CDG and then recheck them in at a LH desk.

If your DL flight is late they aren't responsible for rebooking you. LH are under no obligation to rebook you either (perhaps with a flexible ticket they might)

The same will apply on your return trip.

You will also have to change terminals as well.

Therefore I would allow more rather than less time.

There are threads on the DL and AF boards about CDG so have a look for those. From what I gather CDG is not the most efficient airport in the world.
LondonElite likes this.
Old May 14, 18, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
+1

You are not connecting, you are taking a chance. There is no way that DL will interline your luggage, and LH won't do so the reverse way.

If any one of your flights is cancelled, there is a lot of pain in store for you. Whilst getting yourself a new ticket to Germany from CDG win't be such a big deal, you'll have to buy a return ticket as your entire original LH ticket will have been cancelled. On the return the danger is greater. If your LH flight is cancelled or really late, your DL flight will have left without you and you'll be on your own to get back to the US.

It's all a question of your risk tolerance, but often these savings are eaten up by hotel costs and wasted time.
Old May 14, 18, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - I have no expectations from either LH or DL to check my bags through or help me in the case of a misconnect. I understand the risks involved but wasn't sure of a better word to use than connecting. I was more just wondering how long it would physically take to go through immigration, claim and recheck my bags, and check in for the next flight. The savings vs one ticket is about $4,000 USD versus doing it all on one ticket. Thanks!
Old May 14, 18, 7:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
My last flight into CDG landed over four hours late. Just something to think about….
Old May 14, 18, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
Thanks for the replies - I have no expectations from either LH or DL to check my bags through or help me in the case of a misconnect. I understand the risks involved but wasn't sure of a better word to use than connecting. I was more just wondering how long it would physically take to go through immigration, claim and recheck my bags, and check in for the next flight. The savings vs one ticket is about $4,000 USD versus doing it all on one ticket. Thanks!
Not to belabour the point, but your biggest risk is not the physical infrastructure issues of going from one area to another, but the potential delays in arrival, cancellation, and a massive immigration queue. These things tend to be unpredictable. It really is down to your risk tolerance, but if I've got a business class longhaul redemption at stake (ie not a paid fare that I can switch easily) I almost always build in an overnight stay.
ajGoes likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: