Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grand Hotel Pupp Spa in Karlovy Vary, Czech Rep. Worth the trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb

We are going to Prague in June and are thinking of going to the spa at the Grand Hotel Pupp in Karlovy Vary. We have wanted to do spa treatments at a European spa for some time. Unlike American spas, at European spas one meets with a doctor first and the treatments are tailored to your body and your wellness goals. The Hotel Pupp has a week long program that seems inexpensive for what they are offering. However, no one on Trip Advisor did the program, just a massage or two. Some people love the hotel and others not so. I am really influenced by my surroundings and don't want to be in a run down place. One travel agent I spoke to said "Don't let the online photos of the hotel influence you." Has anyone been there recently? Has anyone done the spa program? Any insights you have would be really appreciated as well as recommendations of other spas that are near the other places we are traveling to- Paris, Vienna, Budapest, Milan and Dubrovnik.Thank you!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I haven't been to Hotel Pupp in many years and did a treatment elsewhere in Karlovy Vary but didn't meet with a doctor just massage therapist and it wasn't anything like here at home - I felt like meat on slab and wished for a heated bed.

In Milan, I enjoyed hotel spas like the Spa at the Four Seasons. It's weird that many therapists are trained generalists so I had same person for two separate treatments there - it's gorgeous and I wish I brought my bathing suit to use pool. I was not a guest.

I also did massage and facial at the Westin Milan (review in my blog same as user name). The facial doesn't do extractions or other normal US features but my therapist did a face massage. For massage I had a bit of language issue to warn of knots and issues but he quickly figured it out for deep tissue.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl
I haven't been to Hotel Pupp in many years and did a treatment elsewhere in Karlovy Vary but didn't meet with a doctor just massage therapist and it wasn't anything like here at home - I felt like meat on slab and wished for a heated bed.

In Milan, I enjoyed hotel spas like the Spa at the Four Seasons. It's weird that many therapists are trained generalists so I had same person for two separate treatments there - it's gorgeous and I wish I brought my bathing suit to use pool. I was not a guest.

I also did massage and facial at the Westin Milan (review in my blog same as user name). The facial doesn't do extractions or other normal US features but my therapist did a face massage. For massage I had a bit of language issue to warn of knots and issues but he quickly figured it out for deep tissue.
Thanks so much for your reply. The spa sounds awful in Karlovy Vary. How did you like the hotel Pupp? What did you think of the town? I wonder if it is a good idea to stay the week there.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I was in town for the film festival for a week and liked the town as it was easy to walk and the cafes were lovely. We were busy with films so didn't get much time to explore elsewhere (shame as area looked nice on the drive in). we visited the Pupp for festival events but didn't stay or use their spa. I did a local spa and wasn't like the US at all as it is more therapeutic than relaxation.

I think the Pupp is the nicer hotel in the area. The decor is similar to others.

If you like spas, I might look at trying a few different ones to get a feel for the Czech methods/styles.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your insights. I'd love to hear from any other people who stayed at the Grand Hotel Pupp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.